Okay, my final Xmas gift post and then I'm moving on. I'm ready even though it is fun to present finished objects. And this one, too, has a background story.
Like I always do, I took my knitting out to the field with me. This year, I had some fellow fiber lovers out there with me which was fun. 'J', our sawyer, crocheted and he could often be found at night sitting in the truck, listening to bluegrass and making cool hats. 'S' was a knitter (a good one) and once she found out I knitted, she brought projects out to the field (but somehow she had never heard of Ravelry so you can bet I fixed that!). And then there was 'A', the graduate student. She wasn't a knitter but wanted to become one...because I've told her the benefits of knitting related to stress so many times! So instead of knitting myself, I taught her. 2 scarves and 1 shawl later I think we can call that a success!
Somehow, over the course of the summer, every single technician asked me to knit them a hat. I'm not really sure how it evolved but I think they thought that would be easy for me to do. Never mind that I worked every day for all daylight hours and some non-daylight hours and never mind that I never got a day off so couldn't just pop to a yarn store to pick up yarn for these requests. It wasn't going to happen. Instead I gave them other things to keep their spirits up and to let them know they were doing a good job. S got a skein of yarn, J and M both got some books since they were avid readers...if I were in town, I'd pick up cold beverages for everyone...and lots of meals. In a field situation like the one we were in, these kinds of things go a long way to making people happy.
However, one of them somehow wrangled a hat out of me. 'M' was a good but strange kid (I call him a kid since he was early 20's...how old am I?) and we got along well. We had very similar tastes in books (I introduced him to Tom Robbins, Edward Abby, and John Irving and he introduced me to Haruki Murakami) but not music. He loved electronic 'elevator music' (that is my description, not his...I can't even describe this 'music'), Phish, and Ween. And over the 4 months we were out there, he was determined to get me (well everyone really) to like some of his stuff. In the end, I did find a couple bands, a few Phish songs, and a few Ween songs that I liked. Also relevant to this story is that M decided he wanted to carve spoons over the summer. So he picked up a carver on a day off, J cut him some alder pieces, and he went to town carving. You could always tell where M had camped because there were little alder shavings everywhere.
I'm getting to the point, really. The first spoon that M carved he gave to his mom. I mean how awesome is that? The next, and last spoon, he gave to me at the end of the field season. For a beginner, I think he did a good job with it. It's functional which is what he was striving for, and I've used it a few times.
So when he asked for a hat again, how could I not? We talked about what he wanted and it took some knitted/ripping/re-knitting etc to make his specifications work. I have to admit a couple times I almost decided that this was not worth my time but then thought 'the boy carved me a spoon...I can knit him the darn hat'. This project is far from perfect because I was relearning colorwork and made some bad yarn choices but I let those imperfections go. It says Roses Are Free...which is somehow Phish related and seems to tickle M whenever he says it...means nothing to me! It was a hit...apparently he is wearing it daily.
In the meantime, I had been struggling to come up with a gift for my friend's husband during this time. I knit him a hat long ago that he loved but it is starting to show wear so finally had a moment of epiphany as I was knitting on M's hat. Rob, like 'M', loves Ween. So I found out his favorite album of theirs and knit it onto the hat (it says Chocolate & Cheese)...a different style that fits Rob more. It was also a hit!
Not only well-received Xmas gifts, these satisfy my second challenge I had with Jacey last year...first was to knit dishcloths other than the ballband (I knit 4 of them) and the second was to do a colorwork project. Now, this wasn't a hard design, but it was tricky since the floats had to be long in some cases and apparently my 'wrapping' wasn't perfect (this is what you are seeing showing through between the letters). My technique needs a bit of work but I'm thinking on a normal design, I would be better. I plan to test this theory soon!
Okay, January was about a parade of FO's, maybe February will be a parade of field posts. We'll see!
Have a good week everybody.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Mutilated Lips by Ween (I can't explain why I like this disturbing song but I just do...)
.


That was nice of you to teach one of your students to knit. I'm not sure how nice it was to introduce the other one to Ravelry. Hours of her life will now be sucked up into that "knitting black hole!" :-)
ReplyDeleteNice hats!
Thanks! It was fun teaching her to knit actually. She picked it up quick...unlike some others I've tried to teach and it turned into a frustrating experience rather than a pleasurable one! And 'S' still doesn't have a job so I think Ravelry is good for her! ;)
Delete"weird" or not, these hats are fabulous!
ReplyDeletewonderful, thoughtful gifts *and* you were able to check something off your knitting to do list - perfection!!
Oh, I figured you would like these hats! ;) I think both our inner geeks love this kind of stuff.
DeleteLove these incredibly custom made hats. So, I was thinking... Would you like to knit me a hat? Ha! ; )
ReplyDeleteHmmm...will you carve me a spoon? ;)
DeletePS Just listened to Prince Caspian by Phish. Thought of you.
ReplyDeleteSo you are a Phish fan? I have to say that I can count on one hand the number of songs of theirs that I like. I have other friends than 'M' that are diehard fans and I just never could get into them. I have to say the same for the Dead...I know, shocking.
DeleteNope. I like Prince Caspian. I believe it's the only song by Phish I know.
DeleteRob's first hat is named Rachel - his 2nd hat is such a prize in and of itself to him as well. He gets many laughing comments about "chocolate & cheese" HAHA. But doesn't wear it for "every day" mind you. It, like the Rachel hat, is not worn on work days.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why you like mutilated lips either, not one of my favorites at all, or that album really. You might have a thing for the tune, or maybe mollusks themselves. Or perhaps, it reminds you of flashdance, darling nicky or chewey chewey - LOL!!!
Phish does a cover of Ween's "roses are free". not a bad song for the lyrics. ironically I think lil wayne does a cover of it as well....
ReplyDeleteWow, those turned out great! I love toques, it's one of those things that I have made my hubby and he wears them constantly....well since we have winter for most of the year they are a practical gift. Happy week my friend. Had 5 deer in my yard last week - FIVE in my little back yard. The joys of living near ravines in the middle of Calgary, we still get deer.
ReplyDeleteThanks Raina! Did you see any interaction between the deer and the hare? ;) I think it's cool that you live in the middle of such a huge city and have that many interactions with wildlife. We often have 5 deer in our yard but then our town is small, rural, and in the middle of nowhere!
DeleteWow, I imagine that when you're in the field it could either be like a big family and great or potentially disastrous if personalities didn't mesh well. It sounds like it was a great mix! I'm impressed that you knit colorwork for gifts! It is generally something I avoid, though I've knit several projects with it. All the tangled yarn and worry about holes. Give me a cable or lace pattern over color work most times! But, I want to make my peace with it as you seem to be doing. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteOh how very true! We've had field seasons and crews that just don't mesh and it is unpleasant to say the least. I got along very well with everybody on this crew but then I'm a boss figure so I think they are on their best behavior most of the time with me. Within the crew itself, though they worked together well, there were tiffs and personality issues...getting more intense as the season progressed. At night, for the most part, everybody went their own separate directions to have space from each other.
DeleteThese are pretty simple colorwork items! The first colorwork I ever did was for my mom...mittens that were much more complicated. But I enjoyed it. Funny thing...these are my 4th and 5th colorwork projects but none have been for me! Must get on that.
Huzzah for colorwork! The hats look awesome, and I'm so excited to see a picture of that spoon! I was having trouble imagining exactly what it would look like. It's so cool!
ReplyDeleteYeah, the spoon isn't a fancy one that you would buy but I thought he did a darn good job of it for just picking up that hobby over the summer!
Delete