Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

FO: Andalusia (A Sweater for Julian)

I didn't make a sweater for Julian for his first Xmas (I made two toys instead).  But after knitting this up and giving it to him for his '1-year-old Xmas', I'm wondering if I'll make it a tradition.  Geez, what ever happened to the 'I'll never knit tiny human clothes because they grow out of them too fast' principles I once had?  Being an aunt has fogged my brain.  Of course knitting a sweater for a 1-year-old is quite different and less time-consuming than knitting one for an older child.  So we'll see.  But I sort of like the idea.  Trouble is, my brother and partner are in the pool for another child and at least for the next few years, doing 2 each Xmas will likely not be an option.  Decisions, decisions.
 
The pattern I chose this year was Andalusia.  I thought it was a cute sweater, full of pretty texture...with an offset row of buttons which is a design feature I am loving more and more.  I didn't have any superwash wool in my stash that I thought would work so made a quick trip down to my LYS (we actually sort of have one now and she has more and more great yarn every time I visit).  I had a dark red or rust color in my head because I knew Julian would look good in those colors.  But as soon as I saw the brown, I knew it would match his skin tone, eyes, and hair perfectly.  

After knitting the pattern, I had a couple thoughts/modifications.  First is that though this is a tiny human sweater (so the assumption is they are easier), I don't think the pattern would be particularly clear for someone just learning how to knit sweaters...especially top-down sweaters.  I understood the construction having knit a couple for myself so could figure out what to do fairly easily.  But less experienced knitters may not.  Also, after the initial cast-on numbers, no more stitch counts were provided.  I realize I am fully capable of counting up the number of increases/decreases and calculating the stitch counts but for a paid pattern, I was disappointed by the lack of detail.  And the pattern said the yarn estimate was generous but I used well more than 200 yards less (>30%) than what was called for.  That seemed extreme to me.


Also, while it was the texture that first drew me to the pattern, after I knit it up, I felt it may have 'too' much texture...to the point of being distracting.  At least for my preference.  There is the rib along the bottom and collar, the seed-stitch panel and the andalusia stitch covering the rest of the sweater.  To attempt to make it 'easier' on the eye, I did two modifications.  One was to continue the seed stitch pattern of the front panel to the bottom of the sweater instead of switching to rib. I was afraid that by leaving the rib on the rest of the sweater, this would pull the front weird, but since the rib is knit with the same size needles as the body of the sweater, and thus loose, it turned out to be fine.  I also only knit one inch of rib on the bottom (pattern calls for 2 inches) to be less obvious and to match the sleeves.  I really like these modifications and think it makes for a more visually balanced look.  If I knit this again, I may consider replacing the andalusia stitch with simple stockinette to simplify the look even more. However, the sweater looks awesome (if I do say so myself) on Julian so maybe that change isn't necessary!

It's so hard to get a non-flash, non-blurry picture of a child when they are learning to walk.  And one that has been sick so finally getting to 'walk' outside for the first time in days.  This was the best I could do!  But notice one thing...I asked for a chest measurement when I started knitting but didn't ask for arm or length measurements.  The arms are particularly narrow relative to the chest in this design.  It fits him but there isn't a lot of room to wiggle. 

Some flash pictures of him in the house showing the back etc.
    

Despite some of the above concerns, I really enjoyed knitting up this sweater and think it looks great on Julian.  And reports from my brother say that it gets tons of compliments every time he goes 'out' in it!
_ _ _ _ _ 

Now playing:  Music For A Found Harmonium by Patrick Street 


.

11 comments:

  1. That is one great sweater! And it looks so good on him - you were right about the brown colour. I had a look at the pattern on Ravelry and it says it is a unisex sweater, but to me that sweater says "boy."

    If your brother and his partner have another baby maybe you could switch to knitting a sweater for birthdays instead of Christmas. As long as the birthdays weren't too close together it would help space out your knitting.

    I had to smile when I saw the photos of the sweater in front of your fence. I use my fence, which looks exactly like yours, for photo shoots all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that is adorable on him! Your reservations about the pattern make sense, but yeah - the cuteness wins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, it is so perfect on him. The fit, the color...everything. Nice job, Rachel! I've always liked those lines drawn on the wall showing a child's growth, but I LOVE the idea of having a box of sweaters to document the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice sweater! I love the color. I made a little white sweater for my granddaughter. It is plenty long and big but the sleeves are also narrow. It was an old pattern and some of the reviews on Ravelry said the sleeves turned out a bit tight. They were plenty long. It looks perfect on him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so adorable! Nice details on the sweater.

    Better watch out, Auntie. If Julian gets a new sweater for his first three years and the next little one doesn't.....so unfair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, It looks great on him. I've knit many baby sweaters that were not easy! Once i had to knit the buttonband separately and then sew it on. what a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knit a baby vest this Christmas and yup, baby knits are so addictive once you see them in person!! This turned out beautifully and Julian is looking so grown up!

    As a side note, you're comment about your brother and partner being 'in the pool' for another child gave me a quick vision (as an adoptee myself) of my parents in a big swimming pool, fully clothed, swimming toward this raft of babies .... :)
    ~kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sweater was the perfect one for Julian and will certainly make a great hand-me-down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness! this is *the* most adorable baby sweater ever! and it looks absolutely perfect on sweet julian! the yarn and the pattern work so well together and in my opinion the texture is just perfection, so your mods must have been spot on!

    as an aside, do not make any commitments regarding future christmases so near the completion of the 2012 holiday crafting season. if i did that, i'd swear off making gifts every year :)
    -melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ack! The cute! He is getting so big! I love your mods, and I love hearing your feedback on a pattern. It's always helpful to get honest info when selecting patterns.

    Maybe you could make one handknit each year, and alternate the recipient. That seems fair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precious! I've knit a few for E that were like that. Fit in one area and were too small/big in others. Very frustrating for me, but she's never noticed and loved them to pieces. Literally. lol

    ReplyDelete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.