Let's talk cutting. With everything else I do, nothing is as permanent as cutting fabric. You can rip knitting (okay, I've not yet done a steek so that's a different story altogether), you can erase pencil....even with a pen, a woodburner, a gourd carving tool, or a paper-cutting knife, while more permanent for sure, if a mistake is made it doesn't necessarily destroy the piece. It just means one has to be creative in incorporating the mistake which is a creative challenge I actually enjoy. But cutting fabric? Whole other thing in my opinion. I buy fabric because I love it. I don't have bins and bins sitting around of stuff I sort of like. So the idea that I could cut something wrong and then not be able to do the project in mind with that fabric I love is paralyzing to me. It seems to me, there are 3 solutions to help me get over this roadblock. First is to start a small stash of cheaper but still decent fabric that I like (not love) and just jump in. If I screw up, it didn't cost me much, it's not using my prized fabric, and I will learn a ton this way to help me when I want to dig into the good stuff. Second is to start small and start easy. Here we go back to redefining success. It IS a success whether I sew one small coaster or an Alabama Chanin skirt (oh, how I covet those). And third...embrace the imperfections. Does anybody else have other suggestions to add to this list?
I used the second and third approaches to sew a gift for my friend for Xmas. I had made a rag quilt years ago for a friend with the help of my mom (of course) and had purchased fabric around that time for a different friend. Rag quilts aren't rocket science to make but of course the potential to screw up is still there. And I had just enough of the main fabric. So some pressure. My mom was out in October and she helped me cut the main rectangles...reminding/teaching me how to fold and square up fabric. I did most of the cutting and will admit that I didn't square up as often as I should so there was some wonkiness. The great thing though...for a rag quilt it doesn't really matter. So I learned a lot but nothing was ruined when one rectangle was a little different than another.
![]() |
| I do own clothes that don't look like they have been ripped apart by carnivores...really I do. I just wear these more! |
It's not perfect (there is a reason no close-up pictures!), but considering this is only the...hmmm....9th? thing I've sewed in my adult life (there were lots in 4-H when I was younger but I only have vague memories of it!) and only the third without much help, I'm pleased. I love the colors together and had a very hard time packaging this up and sending it away. John and I have 2 of these gifted years ago by my aunt (I had never seen rag quilts before then) which we love but it was hard not to add this one to our collection!
Now the question is...what project do I start next? I've been talking with Jacey about some small projects and have some ideas...we'll see where that takes me! I mean now I know how to thread the machine and fill a bobbin...I have to use that knowledge before I go and forget it yet again, right?
______________
Now for some real talent. My mom made each of us something hand-made this year (well, she does this most years). For me, an applique piece that I had picked out several years ago and bought a fabric pack for. Some of you may have seen it before in quilt shops but I absolutely love it. Very fitting for us.
For John...something that I've wanted him to have ever since I first saw it almost a decade ago. In theory, I wanted to make it for him but I think it worked out much better to have Mom do it! I am in love with this paper-piece and though I didn't try to sway his decision, I am very glad that he wanted it to hang front and center in our home rather than in his dark basement office! Isn't it amazing? John worked on bighorn sheep for his doctorate and if he were being honest, they are his first love. So very fitting.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Shiny Apple by The Waifs (wow, this live version has such a different feel than the album version...)
.



Yay, sewing! Gorgeous pieces, and I think the quilt is quite the accomplishment. I don't do a lot of sewing because of the precision required. I am not a precision person in my crafting and general life (although I am in my editing as required)! So I admire you getting it done!
ReplyDeleteAnd your mom's pieces are beautiful!
~kate
You've summed up why I'm scared of sewing as well. It's a funny thing to be afraid of, if you think about it. Your quilt looks great. Well done!
ReplyDeleteI think it turned out beautifully! I have the same problem with the cutting. I have such a hard time letting the smallest imperfections go. Drives me bonkers and then I just get fed up and quit. I'd much rather knit. lol
ReplyDeleteI still can't believe your mom made the sheep quilt. And your first quilt looks awesome. Well done! I don't know how large the pieces of fabric you've purchased are, but keep in mind that you can use just small pieces of fabric and make something fun. You can leave the rest of each piece for later. That's the beauty of sewing. With knitting, there is a focus (at least, for me) to use up the entire skein (or pile of skeins!) in the same project. But with fabric, scraps are a glorious thing.
ReplyDeleteAnd the whole "measure twice, cut once" principle is a good one to live by. I don't encourage you to buy more fabrics that you're not in love with. If you find some that you kind of like and are cheap, that's another story. But embracing the mistake/imperfection is a very good rule to live by.
I'm proud of you! Keep trying! mini quilts and pillows are a great way to try out patterns and techniques. Let me know how I can help. I'll stop rambling now. :)
Your first little quilt looks wonderful and you did a great job! V will love it. Jacey is right....you definitely need new pillows for your sofa and that could be your next project. Plus, I could take that off my "to do" list for you this year:) Love...Mom
ReplyDeleteoh wow! your finished quilt looks wonderful!
ReplyDeletegood on you for finishing it up *on your own*!! i am currently being held in the "fear limbo" stages of finishing a quilt i started under the tutelage of an amazing quilting friend. you are very inspiring!
and oh your mom - what a talent! that bighorn sheep is just amazing!!
-melissa
Your Mom had shown us her projects before heading west for Christmas. They were ALOT of work and amazing! The pictures can show all those PIECES, but nothing like seeing it for real to appreciate how many there were!
ReplyDeleteGlad the rag quilt didn't stay at your home! - now that you know you can do it, you'll have to make yourself several! Laughed at how you cut the "extra" and it came apart.
We are loving our special Christmas gifts!
V does like very much!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on finishing something you LIKED! And the work that went into what you mom made, wow. I'm always impressed by that type of work.
ReplyDeleteI used to love knitting more than sewing because it felt like once the material went under the needle it was out of my control. Now I have reasons to love both in their own right. It doesn't matter how much I've sewn, that first cut can still be nerve-wracking because you can't take it back. I, too, would be paralyzed and just leave projects sitting, unstarted. Now I try to focus on what I'll learn even if I do screw up. And try to think about how I can creatively use the fabric in another way. I hate the idea of it being wasted.
I hope you get to sew more, and something from Alabama Chanin someday, too!
Wow, your mom's quilts are fabulous, no wonder you're paralyzed! But she didn't start out that way although she might have been really really close. Some people just have the knack right off and others have to practice a bit. I know, the two most horrible words in the English language are Learning Curve.
ReplyDeleteI love the two stranded hats you knit! and how did I get so far behind on you?