Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Day: 1

One of the photography blogs that I enjoy the most is Habit.  I've never posted pictures to their Flickr group and that will likely not change.  But I so enjoy seeing snippets of everyday life and the brief thoughts (<30 words) that accompany those images.  I think what I like most is that the images can be amazing in terms of photographic technique or something that is blurred and dark and not immediately 'outstanding'.  Because that's how life is day to day...some days are sharp and beautiful while others are 'can't quite capture the focus' kind of days. But the words that are shared with the images almost always make me think...and I love how something significant (or even insignificant) about one day is captured and recorded.

Always in December I look back and lament that I haven't used my camera as much as I wanted to.  And this year was no different.  In fact, I think I took less pictures this year than any since I first owned a camera.  And so I try to come up with challenges to put the camera in my hand more often. The interest in Habit has led me to wonder if I couldn't do something similar here in this space.  I won't commit to a picture a day...that's setting myself up for failure before I even start!  But any week that I actually take some daily photos, I'll post whatever images/thoughts I've managed to assemble. 

In this first week what I noticed is that I didn't have to pressure myself to take a photo, nothing was forced, and thus it was fun. Knowing what to take a picture of just presented itself each day.  Sometimes first thing in the morning, and sometimes last thing at night.  Nothing even approaching a stellar photograph in the bunch...but that's what makes them 'real'.   

We'll see where this goes.  It is possible this is will be the first and last post of it's kind.  I'm not expecting that 'ease' of this week to continue as the newness wears off.  Or it's possible I may continue for weeks or months.  Either way, it's okay.  

Sunday

Preparing sustenance for the week...craving fruit/veggies/grains to wash out the sugar and butter of the past week.  Fruity and sweet for him.  Savory and spicy for me.

Monday

 

Mailing the last of Xmas for the year.  Part sadness it's over, part pure relief.

Tuesday

Starting the year off right.  Cold morning walk, sun salutes, healthy but hearty food, knitting, and talking through life's struggles with a friend.

Wednesday

A day like today needs to end with something positive...in this case, tasty apricot liquor sipped from a jam jar.  Because I'm just classy that way.

Thursday

Today more than most, I needed that morning walk...the bitter cold and the bright sun woke me up and distracted me from the day ahead. 

Friday  


Anticipation.  Her words are like curling up with a letter from an old friend.  

Saturday


Practice.  Question.  Focus.  Question.  Adjust.  Question.  Rinse and Repeat. 

_ _ _ _ _ 

Now playing:   Little Fire by Patty Griffin and EmmyLou Harris

.

12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! I might just steal it if you don't mind. And I think drinking apricot liquor out of a jam jar is extremely classy. But then again, I think it's classy if I manage to match my hat and mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the ease and fun in these, Rachel. A good week. Enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always a fan of beverages in jars! It's charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your shoes in the snow. It looks crisp - perfect for a good cleansing breath or two!

    ~kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to start the New Year! Can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am in full support of any project that has you taking more photos and sharing them with us!!

    i too drink out of jam jars all the time, it's probably why we all get along so well.
    -melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely week. And a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm, nice, I love habit as well...beauty in the everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol I love you jam "glass". Looks like several here that I'm known to drink a glass of wine out of. Heck, some days, the wine is lucky if it even makes it to a glass. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the glimpse of your days. And the jam jar? It is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful glimpses, my friend. I owe you an email, and I hope to get that written today. Hope today is a very good day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I just say how much I love that I can see the indents from your socks on your bare feet? I just love the honesty of seeing those imprints. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.