Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Day: 5

Sunday



A much needed day off.  Leisurely cleaning.  Scattered knitting.  A long visit with them. Taking the time to shoot some photos. A bowl of comfort food in front of a comedy.   

Monday
Despite telling myself I didn't want to start a new project until some other WIPs were done, tonight I just needed the comfort of stockinette and laceweight. 

Tuesday

I didn't realize how much I needed to talk to her until after the fact. 


Wednesday

I expected it to be a happy mail day (I *may* have bought some retail therapy fiber last week) but it was the unexpected mail that made my day.  Painted by a former technician...thanking me.

Thursday


All day I thought of the combination and wondered if it would meet my expectations.  It did.  One onion caramelized.  Half a roasted sweet potato.  A few handfuls of sauteed spinach.  And a small salmon filet cut into chunks cooked in a bit of butter, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and garlic. 

Friday  

Friday nights are our nights.  It's hard when one of us is gone.  After a long phone conversation with him, I settled in with a pear cider, a movie, and some spinning.

Saturday

I realized last night just how productive my work week was.  And wondered if part of that was due to allowing myself a day off the past weekend sans guilt (that's the important part).  So today, I took another one.  And made it a day of fiber (dyeing, spinning, and knitting), movement, and reflection. 

_ _ _ _ _

Now playing: The Shipping News Soundtrack by Christopher Young


.

18 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Each photo captured a beautiful piece of your day and there was a sense of peace in your reflections that made me want to sit down with a cup of tea and visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wanda...and thanks for reading. I like revisiting these weekly posts every now and then to see what kind of mood I'm in and how that changes from week to week. It's interesting to me.

      Delete
  2. I am really enjoying your "week in photos" feature. (I'm still considering doing it for my blog.) I am a fan of pear cider, too. And your caramelized onion/salmon dish looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm amazed I've kept it up for 5 weeks already but I think approaching it the way I did has helped (no pressure to continue). It is almost habit now and I enjoy thinking about taking a photo and documenting a day. What I love the most is that it has caused me to pick up my camera more often...I may even do a post on that sometime soon.

      My graduate student introduced me to pear cider this past summer and I'm addicted. I've tried a few brands but Ace so far is my favorite. Of course it's a 100 mile drive to get to the closest place that sells it. I also have been trying some apple ciders. My only experience before was with the dreaded Hornby's so a brand new world has opened up when I realized there were dry apple ciders (my favorite so far is Spire dark and dry which so far I have only found in pullman!).

      Delete
  3. such a lovely wintry collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some good, healthy realizations were made this week.

    Hope he's home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to send you an email soon about this comment (and a couple others)! I will do that. Because yes...healthy realizations.

      He'll be back this weekend...right before I may have to leave for 4 or 5 days. There is a chance we'll see each other but an equal chance we'll be passing mid-air.

      Delete
  5. beautiful photos rach.
    i'm proud of you for setting aside some guilt-free time for yourself. i'm glad it's working out for you, i hope you're able to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M! It seems such a small thing...set aside guilt-free time for yourself. And yet it is one of the things I struggle with the most. I may not be able to do it every weekend but I've turned it into a goal of sorts...at least until I hit the field in a couple months!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a good week, Rachel. Unexpected mail is the best, and it seems to be declining each year... For me at least. But I will not complain because I did receive an awesome text this morning from my aunt, new puppy (Otis) photos. I hope this week is as pleasing as your last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I used to be so excited to get the mail because often there were actual letters from friends in there. I don't have that same enthusiasm for email. I think because letters contained depth that is so lacking in the email world today. I've been trying to ease back to actual letters...a project I started last year...but it is hard to change the email habit!

      Delete
  7. That blue lace is an amazing color!!

    All my mail is either bills or work. While I'm happy enough to have the latter, it's not exactly as gorgeous as that thank you notecard. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie...that lace yarn is one of my own dye-jobs. I love it!

      99.9% of my mail is the same as yours. That is why this card was such and unexpected treat. I also never would have expected this particular person to do this...so it was awesome on so many levels!

      Delete
  8. Mmm...pear cider sounds pretty good. I may see if our local shop has something like that.

    Love the pic of the lace-weight and the spinning. I really need to fix my wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find a pear cider, definitely try it! But make sure it's a dry cider. The Ace that I'm drinking is really good but I don't taste a really strong 'pear' taste. Spire has a pear cider that really tastes 'pear' but is more dry.

      Delete
  9. More happy bits. Even when you're sharing something difficult, the glimpses are beautiful. I hope you get time with J soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for these words. And yes, John finally came home...we have a couple months in the same place before he'll leave again for Canada for the season. I'll join him about a month later and then we'll be working together this summer again!

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.