A few years ago I started to follow along the practice of picking a word of focus for that year. One that maybe wasn't always active, but in the day to day, something that I was mindful of. Last year, I chose 'Self'. And for the most part, I think this word helped me quite a bit. A few examples: Though very hard to do, I ended a once greatly valued relationship because it had become one that was causing me more emotional turmoil than happiness. I started a new space so I could take the blog and the friendships that have come from it in a new, better, more comfortable direction for me. I remembered that my needs were just as important as the projects needs during a field season and thus had one that was actually fun as well as productive. I chose my needs over work a number of times knowing I needed that walk or that ride or those few minutes knitting for my emotional well-being. Though hard to admit I needed it, I reached out to a friend and asked for help...which has put me on a journey that while just beginning is already beneficial to my mental and physical state. I discovered the sheer joy of a road bike and logged in 250 miles even though I only had about 2 months of biking weather when I wasn't in the field...and probably logged in an equivalent number of miles in walks/runs/hikes. I returned to a yoga class this fall. With the help of Pinterest as a recipe index, I'm more conscious of what I am eating...and in the field and out have made some diet changes for the better.
This year, I still want to focus on self. Because I feel there is so much more progress that can be made in that area. But I'm adding a new word that I think actually falls hand in hand.
'SUCCESS'
Though not in the way you may think. So maybe more appropriately I should cheat and use 2 words and say
'redefining SUCCESS'
I'm finally learning that if I set strict goals or have set expectations, I usually fail. Not because they are unreachable or unattainable and not because I'm incapable of achieving them. But because I set too many too high to be remotely reasonable in the time frame I give myself. I do this with work, with physical activity, and with personal goals. Which means I 'fail' way more than I 'succeed'. Failing discourages me (of course) and puts me in a frenzy (like last month) and the first thing to suffer is the attention to my physical health. I was talking to a friend last night about this word and after much discussion she informed me that I am my worst enemy. Do you remember that line in 'The Holiday'? "That was brilliant. Brutal but brilliant". But sadly, it's also true...I don't need anyone else to make me feel bad about myself...I'm a master at doing that all on my own.
So I've been thinking about that lately. I want to run/bike longer and faster, I want to have greater flexibility both physically and mentally, I want to be superhuman with respect to my workload, I want to lose weight, I want to read more, I want to eat better, I want to knit more sweaters, I want to learn and do more photography, I want to get back to my art, I want to learn how to sew...I could go on and on. These wants, they won't change.
But what I hope does change by focusing on this word(s) is how I go about achieving them. The easiest example to explain this is how I normally approach an exercise goal. I have a tendency to pick either a daily goal of minutes of intense exercise or a long-term goal (run X miles in X minutes). So when I only can get out for a 20 minutes walk because of time or energy instead of a 4 mile run, I consider it a failure which is so not good for my mental state. In fact, often, if that short walk is all I could do, I don't even do it because it 'isn't enough'. This year, I want/need to approach this differently. My plan (thanks Mel for this word...so much better than goal!) is just to move everyday. This means that whether I run 6 miles...or I walk a quarter of a mile...or I do 1 sun salute...or I do 1 crunch, I should consider it a success because I moved. This doesn't change those long-term goals/expectations or make them any less important...I'm just focusing on the day-to-day and redefining what I consider to be a success. Hopefully this means that more days will be 'successes' with respect to work, exercise, art etc rather than 'failures'. Which will go a long way to improving my mental peace and thus how I take care of my 'self'.
How about you? What word will you focus on in 2013?
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: You Get What You Give by Chuck Ragan
.

Hey, we're going to be moving together!!
ReplyDeleteI knew that we would have some similar plans this year, as the past couple of months of what you have been writing have been striking chords with me.
I also think you are already on the road to success, but putting this out there and talking about redefining your outlook.
I look forward to the journey we will take over this year, both in our physical lives and here on our blog pages, apart and together.
I wish you well in 2013, my friend. And success in whatever form it finds you.
~Kate
Happy 2013 Rachel. Be gentle on yourself this year... being hard on oneself sometimes defeats success... I am a bit like that, I decide to do something and I go whole hog and typically what happens is I end up burning out!! You are successful already, good grief, doctorate and all and only 40 this year???? Only in my dreams :) Now you just need to massage that success a little bit :) Hugs my friend.
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel. I am so grateful that you visited my blog today, so I could trace you back to this place. I love your writing, your knitting, and your photography. Picking a word for guidance is such a wonderful idea. I am going to pick two "be" and "connect". I want to be better at being in the moment and I want to connect (or re-connect) with all the people near and far that I care about, you included. XO. Lotta
ReplyDeleteYou had me doing some thinking, Rachel. (Which I always enjoy) I decided to pick a word for my 2013. I have a lot of goals but I wanted an underlying, guiding word and have chosen one. This Christmas season I’ve had time to walk through my fields and woods to gather pine, cones, holly, crowfoot and lichen to decorate with. I get “high” from the fragrance of cedar and balsam. I love the fresh air and weather of all kinds. I love the little faces of my most-loved grandchildren that show all their feelings—all real with no knowledge of masks or tact. I love the differences in my three adult children and the people in their lives. I love where life has brought me. I love soft smooth fabrics and knitting needles and yarn in my fingers. My word for 2013 is real. I want to remember to stay connected to what is real to me. What makes me “really” happy. What “really” matters and who
ReplyDelete“really” matters. That is as simple as choosing to eat real food and breathing real fresh air or as complex as listening to what someone is really saying and giving them the time and space to say it. Or to hear it even if it isn’t said. So under the tinsel that sparkles is the tree that is real. I love both but I want to remember the difference when it matters. Happy New Year to you--I hope it's a good one.
Redefining success is brilliant, two words or no. One of things I ALWAYS fail to take into account when planning is the fact that I can't control everything. So if I plan and strive and still fail, maybe it's not me. I wish you the best of luck in 2013. My word is inspire. But then you knew that. :)
ReplyDeletea love forward-looking post. i think my motto this year is "do more that means more."
ReplyDeleteAh! I think I finally figured out why I couldn't comment! Something to do with cookies.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, what I was attempting to say the first time was that you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think what holds me back from forming an exercise routine is that I tell myself that if I can't do a full session, why bother at all? All movement, large and small, is good. Help me remember that, mkay? lol
beautiful word(s), beautiful post.
ReplyDeletei wish you all the best in this new year dear friend!
-melissa
Awesome healthy inspiring thoughts. Thanks, Rachel. I like your idea of redefining what success is for you. I also like your plan to move everyday. It seems words are a pretty powerful tool. You know my word for 2013. Pause. So I'll stop for a moment now and think about what you've written here. ..... Something we can all benefit from is looking at the way you've really thought this through, the way you know yourself, and the way you really customized what you are reaching for. I wish you much peace this year.
ReplyDeleteRedefining success, brilliant Rachel. I love it. I love that you touched on the "how". I think the success can even be in the how as much as or even instead of any result of the plan (a theme for me last year!) - and I love how you have defined for yourself a very attainable plan . It builds confidence and faith to give ourselves the space to grow into whatever it is instead of just determining that anything but x result is a failure. I'm so proud ;) of the way you are approaching this. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteMy word for last year stuck around, it's not ready to let me go yet (possibly because I still have some discomfort with it although it certainly showed up throughout the year!) but it's been joined by another one. Devotion was 2012, and now it's Freedom and Devotion. And I kind of love the seeming contradiction, and the interplay of the two. I need both.
And. I LOVE that song.
2013 is going to be MORE challenging? Yowza. Although turning 40,once you're there, is pretty much a snap. It's a good decade.
ReplyDeleteYou've chosen an excellent touchstone word this year! I'm wordless and resolutionless and it feels so weird. I don't think I've ever missed a year before.
All best wishes with redefining success in 2013! What a great idea. I know exactly what you mean about failing/succeeding. Paul often reminds me that the perfect is the enemy of the good. I've definitely learned that making time for what I need to do is important -- reading, exercising, knitting, quiet time, etc.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed by how much biking you managed to squeeze into two months!
All the best for the New Year! Sounds like you are already on your way to success ;)
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful post, Rachel. As I was reading it I kept thinking how helpful it would be to my daughter Rebekah. Would you mind if I copy it and send it to her in an email?
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite phrases to repeat to my kids in times of stress: If I can't take care of me, I can't take care of you. It sounds like you REALLY found the heart of that phrase in 2012. Your focus for 2013 bolsters the work you did in 2012. It's something most of us could probably stand to do, too. Serious food for thought asking those questions: what is success? WHO defines it?
ReplyDeleteHappy 2013 to you and all it holds for you!
I just wrote my word post this morning, and I chose focus! I like your new choice, and your redefinition as well. I hope you find lots of success this year, friend!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE what you've done with redefining success. It is often far too easy to let ourselves steep in failure, when really at least we tried! I am so excited to see how this plays out in the coming year!
ReplyDeleteFor me, I think my word for this year is "gratitude". Last year it was about intentionally listening to my heart (which does not lend itself nicely to one word), and was a real adventure for sure :) I can't wait to see how these sorts of intentions turn out!