Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Ditching the To-Do List

Melissa remarked in a blog post the other day something along the lines of 'Wasn't it supposed to slow down once school started?'.  I've been asking anyone who will listen a similar question...wasn't it supposed to slow down this fall after all the field work was done?  Apparently the answer is a very loud, very persistent NO.  Life continues to be hectic and I'm still struggling to really get back into a routine (of course it would help if I were home more than a few days at a time).  Last night was only the third or fourth night that John and I have sat down to a home-cooked meal together since oh...early June.  I've been knitting but probably have only logged 4 or 5 hours since coming out of the field. 

It may sound strange, but sometimes I realize life is going by in a blur and sometimes I don't.  Saturday night, I went outside late to drop something in the garbage and by chance looked up and saw the stars.  It startled me because what was a nightly ritual in the field, had become a forgotten thought.  I stood there looking at the stars and suddenly realized I needed to find a way to slow it all down.  So Sunday I woke up, worked on my to-do list for a few hours and then gleefully ditched it.  Instead I took off in my truck to do the one thing that will never fail to give me peace.  I hung out with my girls.  I took some pictures, but mostly I just spent time with them.  Coming back down the hill after my visit, I realized that fall had been passing me by.  I had not taken one photograph of fall colors this season.  So I slowed down even more and took some shots of this amazing country in which I live.  As a perfect end...when I got back to town, I called a friend and we took a short hike up a canyon. Finally I felt some balance returning to my world. 







 
_ _ _ _ _

Now playing: Wheels by Fink

.
 

5 comments:

  1. I love your fall photos! And I am glad you were able to slow down and enjoy your Sunday afternoon. Hopefully as the fall progresses you will find more balance and less busyness in your life. It is so important for all of us, but also so easy to get caught up in "stuff" and forget to take a deep breath and enjoy the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I can't believe how fast fall has flown by this year. My guys are constantly going one place or another, throw in homework and we hardly stop to slow down. The other day I went to the library and just sat for an hour without any distractions. It felt really good. We've cut out a bit of hockey around here so we are slowly getting our weekends back. Why must it be such and effort to relax?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditching the to-do list can be a very positive thing. I'm glad you were able to stop and breathe. I love your photos above, especially that lone tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for this reminder rach. sometimes the most important thing wether it's on the to do list or not, is just to be.
    gorgeous gorgeous photos - it makes me happy to know you took some time for yourself to reconnect with nature and get some time in with your girls.
    -melissa

    ReplyDelete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.