When I went 'up the hill' yesterday to visit with the girls, I almost left the camera sitting on the table. I remember about half the time to take it with me...and of course those times I don't remember typically there is something pretty amazing to photograph. This time, I went back in and grabbed it last minute. And am glad I did.
We drove past this juvenile bald eagle on the way home. At first I just saw him out of the corner of my eye and didn't know what it was but the size indicated it was definitely not a hawk. So I made John turn around and get me in shooting position. Amazingly enough, the youngster was very tolerant of me...to the point I thought maybe something was wrong with it. But I slowly closed the distance enough to make him a bit uncomfortable and he finally flew away (didn't quite capture this shot but still sharing it).
Immature baldies aren't the
prettiest of birds; they lack the majestic look of the adult
version. But nonetheless, I was in awe as we sat and watched this huge
bird for awhile before I started stalking it for pictures. Ungulates
hold my heart but raptors likely come in second.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Down to the River to Pray by Allison Krauss
.



Wow, these are amazing photos! What good motivation to always carry your camera.
ReplyDeleteWe see lots of juveniles around here, especially in the spring when they don't want to leave mom and they're being chased away :) They may be gainly to look at, but they are bigger than the adults which makes them simply awesome to watch. (Bushboy did a project on them a few years ago we love them so.) We are very spoilt that bald eagles are pretty much a daily occurrence around here, such that most people don't even stop to notice them.
ReplyDelete~kate
oooh, pretty! absolutely you should glue a camera to your hands.
ReplyDeleteNice photos! Isn't that the way it goes with taking pictures? The best shots are always the ones that occur when you don't have your camera. I have a smart phone now and I have to admit it has been a help. It is so much easier to slip it in my pocket when I head out on a walk than it is to have my camera strapped around my neck. Granted, the pictures aren't as good, but I figure they are better than nothing.
ReplyDeleteWow that is so cool! Can't say as I've ever seen a bald eagle. :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks thoughtful, like there is a wisdom one wouldn't expect to see in youth.
ReplyDeleteOh I'm very glad you remembered, I have a real love for birds of prey too
ReplyDeleteabsolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeletei too am glad you went back for your camera.
-melissa
so worth the turnaround. Breathtaking shots!
ReplyDelete