Before you think 'Alaska, cool!'...this was a hard, exhausting work trip. But even so, you can't go to Alaska and not see some amazing things. Especially when you get away from the cities in a helicopter! The highlights of my trip? The animals of course: tons of caribou, (not surprising since this species is what I went up to work with), tons of moose, a few dozen Dall's sheep, a pack of 6 wolves, and my first grizzly bear in the wild (a female with her 2, 2-year-old cubs...they were so fat they almost looked like they had no head...no pics sadly cuz my camera battery died about an hour earlier!). Another highlight and a first...I saw the northern lights 3 nights in a row. I was in Fairbanks so the city lights diminished the intensity, but it was still pretty amazing to see them (alas, no pictures of those).
This is the last major trip I have planned for awhile so hopefully I can soon settle back into a routine both at home and on the internets. In the meantime, enjoy some photos from the past couple of weeks (as usual, click the photo to make 'em bigger)!
![]() |
| A lone bull trying to stay away from the attention of the helicopter! |
![]() |
| No, it's not about to crash...just working some animals in front of an amazing backdrop. These are the Macomb mountains in the Alaskan range...incredible country. |
![]() |
| A different perspective...from the helicopter. |
![]() |
| A handful of moose who were also wondering who I was and whether I was to be trusted.... |
![]() |
| The Nelchina basin...such beautiful country at this time of year. |
![]() |
| Really -- how stinkin' cute are these little girls? |
Now playing: I Will Survive by Cake
(not exactly a Cake fan but I have to admit that their version of this song cracks me up)








Those little girls are really stinkin' cute!!
ReplyDeleteAmazing scenery, what experiences you have. But I'm glad to hear you now have some home time, as well.
~Kate
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing -- I'm up late writing and definitely needed a shot of baby caribou cuteness. :)
ReplyDeleteeven though you were hard at work, thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos with us! that second one is just breathtaking...
ReplyDeletei hope you're able to catch up on some much needed rest. sending a big hug your way!!
-melissa
ps - i love that cake version of "i will survive" as well! now i'm going to have to go and listen to it!
ReplyDelete-mlm
I know you worked hard.. but WHAT amazing scenery. You got some GREAT (if COLD) weather. Wonderful pictures. And yes, those caribou babies are just way toooo cute!
ReplyDeleteI know it was exhausting, but the scenery is breathtaking, and you saw a grizzly mother and cubs, AND the northern lights. Wow. Welcome home. I hope you are cooking some delicious food, relaxing, and settling in. And to answer your question, incredibly stinkin' cute!
ReplyDeleteTotally cute! I've never been in a helicopter, but I bet that's pretty exciting! And seeing such lovely scenery below you is even better!
ReplyDelete