So instead of my stories or my FOs, let's talk about my mom. Lately I've been feeling the strong urge to set aside my fear and start sewing. Partly because of all the inspiration I see online, and partly because of the inspiration I get from seeing the amazing things my mom makes her family and friends. So I wanted to share a couple of her more recent projects so maybe others can also be inspired. My folks were visiting last week and Mom came bearing gifts for me and for Julian.
The first was a quilt/wall hanging that I originally unwrapped on Xmas morning that was still unfinished. Mom had recently got the back finished and she binded it at the house so it is now officially mine! If memory serves, this was a kit that she had seen in a quilting magazine. Once she showed it me, it was all over and I had to have it. The difficulty came when we found out that the kits were sold out. So she tracked down the pattern and then she and I worked through internet searching to find the required fabric...because I thought the quilt was brilliant as is and didn't want to substitute fabrics (click to embiggin'). Was I wrong?
The back gave mom fits because I sketched out a design of what I wanted not knowing if it would be easy or challenging to make it happen. Apparently it was challenging. I told her to just do something more simple but she wouldn't give in and she made it happen. Isn't this quilt awesome?
My second gift was a fall-themed paper-pieced table topper. I love it and I'm sure you can see why! I have done some paper-piecing in the past and am wondering if maybe I could give this project a go?
As for Julian....he made out pretty well too! Mom finished up binding his awesome growth chart while on the visit and added a cool little pocket on the back for a marking pen and some pins to track his growth. Seriously, how cute is this?
Have a great weekend everybody!
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Change of Time by Josh Ritter
.






Hurrah for mums! Lovely pieces.
ReplyDeleteAlso loved the photos from your previous posts and am hoping you've had more balance this week.
WOW! I love all these things. I can see why you are inspired by your mom's work. Quilting in your future??
ReplyDeleteYour mom is so talented!! Did she quilt the zebra quilt? It looks so fabulous!! And I love the growth chart, and the pillow! Really, all four of these projects are special and unique! I think you should ask her to make a second pillow for her daughter, though. ;)
ReplyDeleteI see creativity runs in the family. The back of the zebra quilt is so cool--the use of color, composition, and the black on black stitching detail that covers much of it. Nice collaboration.
ReplyDeleteoh wow! your mom is amazing!
ReplyDeleteshe inspires me too!
-melissa
Your mom is a wonderful quilter! You are lucky to have a mom who crafts. My mom can't even sew on a button (there's a famous family story there I should blog about). I have been tempted to try paper-piecing. Is it hard?
ReplyDelete