I've never taken the time to do this sort of post around Thanksgiving before but this year I just felt like it was time. So today...the things I am most grateful for:
1. As with most, family and husband top the list. They are why I am who I am (although some days I'm sure they don't want to take credit for that!).
2. The girls. They have given me so much joy over the past 15 years that I will never forget how lucky I am to be able to work with such an amazing group of animals. John remarked the other day that there will never be another group just like this one. I don't know why, but I'd agree. I love all the critters I get to work with/raise but these girls...they are truly unique and special.
3. Friends near and far. Who I allow inside my bubble
may be a small number but they are an incredibly supportive, inspiring,
amazing bunch that I am thankful for every day.
4. Having a job that not only allows me to have nice things like my camera or a stash of good wool, but also one that (most days) I love, and one that I truly believe allows me to make a difference in the world of conservation.
5. NE Oregon. Can you be grateful for a place? I think so... This area has become home and lately it seems that every day I notice something new to remind me how amazing it is. I am grateful that we are stable enough in our jobs and finances that we get to stay here (it is a seriously economically depressed area!).
6. My health. This one is
often taken for granted in youth. But as I get older and start to feel
more aches and pains...I'm starting to realize it should never be taken
for granted. I don't take particularly great care of my body so need to
remember to start being gentler so it continues to allow me to run,
bike, and hike relatively free of pain!
7. This blog and the resulting friendships and inspirations I've gotten from it. Started on a whim almost 6 years ago as a place for family to keep track of what I was doing, it has grown to so much more.
8. Good books, good music, and good movies. Because sometimes you just need to escape reality and these offer a vehicle for doing so. I'd be lost without access to all of these.
9. Knitting. Not just a hobby to me...or just a means of creating. Knitting has helped me manage my stress level (which allows me to sleep better at night), and of course led me to all of you.
10. Democracy. I won't get political but I'm thankful for the results of the last election...not only in terms of the president, but also that this country is slowly continuing to move toward equality for all and away from the beliefs of the far right. I wondered when I would get to attend a legal ceremony for my brother and his partner (and one that was actually voted for by the majority [!!] rather than forced through lawmakers). 2013 seems like a long time coming don't you think?
To all those in the states, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and are surrounded by family and friends! And to everybody else...well, I wish you the same! Back next week with some more FO's and quite possibly the start of some 'field season in review' posts.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Song For a Winter's Night by Gordon Lightfoot
.



I'm thankful for you, my friend. Wishing you a wonderful holiday as well.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving. I am also grateful to be one of your "blog friend" and to be able to share your adventures especially photos of your girls.
ReplyDeletebeautiful rach.
ReplyDeletei too am thankful for my friendship with you.
i wish you and yours a very happy thanksgiving.
-melissa
such a sweet list. i wish you a happy thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome list! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, hopefully surrounded by some of the things you have on your list - family, friends, your Girls, good music, and, of course, your knitting. :-)
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving. :)
ReplyDeleteA wonderful list, I should do this, it's powerful to see it written down I think.
ReplyDeleteLovely. I am thankful for you, too. I hope your Thanksgiving was peaceful and delicious. <3
ReplyDeleteSuch an inspiring post, Rachel. My husband and I have discussions about such things on New Year's Eve versus attending a party and I love it. I'm thankful for your happiness. Cheers.
ReplyDelete