So. I'm having a bit of a problem that requires your help. I have start-itis. In a bad way. For a couple reasons...first is that I'm seeing a ton of patterns that I want to Cast. On. Right. Now. Second is that I cleaned up my knitting/crafting area over the weekend and I am feeling guilty about my stash (it tends to be out of sight out of mind most days). It's not as big as some. It's not as small as some. But it's a size that is making me feel uncomfortable (and don't talk to me about selling/trading stash cuz I love all the yarn in my stash...really I do). And one way I seem to respond to this guilt is by casting on stash yarn. Because once it is on needles, it is a WIP, not stash. See how I did that? Third maybe is because I feel like I'm running out of knitting time since field season is looming. And fourth? Come on, you and I both know that casting on a new project is sort of a knitter's rush. Am I right?
BUT. Too many WIPs also make me crazy. I've mentioned before that I don't want to have more than 8 at a time and even that is too many.
Start-itis. Stash guilt. Too may WIPs already on needles. You can see that I have quite the struggle happening!
So I just decided to lay it all out Every WIP I have. Even ones that I'm not sure I can call a WIP (because really, just casting on and knitting a row or two in the course of 3 years is nothing more than stash with a needle attached if you think about it). And to make this more interesting, I decided to not limit this to knitting. There are some spinning pictures. And some that may surprise you (at least one of these is an art technique I bet many of you didn't know I even used!).
Now. What I need from you? Encouragement that the projects I have going on now are awesome and need to be finished. Lie if you have to. ;) No...maybe not. But surely at least one of these things you can say 'hey -- you really need to finish that cuz it's gonna be awesome'. Okay? Okay.
The contenders...I'm starting with maybe the most novel for this blog first, moving on to knitting, and then finishing it up with spinning (sorry for the crappy photos...I knew if I tried to be 'fancy' this would never get done. I am finding that this was fun (with some embarrassment thrown in for good measure) and just laying these out to photograph helped to spur some interest in the project.
Artwork:
Project: A colored pencil drawing of a squirrel and an angry blue jay for my dad
Started: I think I started this 3 years ago but it may have been 4
What's required to finish? I need to finish the beak, both sets of 'feet', and I need to put them on a branch (thinking that the squirrel would be at the juncture of the branch/trunk and then I'd maybe add a few autumn leaves but not sure).
What's the freakin' problem? Fear. Plain and simple. Here's the thing with me and art. If I start something and I love it, I reach a point where I'm terrified I'll screw it up by continuing to work on it. I just need to pick up pencil again...give myself one full day to work on it and it would be done...but fear is a powerful player.
Project: A woodburning of a gorilla. (may be hard to tell since I have so little of it done)
Started: Oh my, I don't know. At least 15 years ago. I've woodburned since then...even completing some projects, but this one has always given me my biggest fear for some reason.
What's required to finish? Should be obvious...it's only the head though, not the whole body. Likely would take me about 4 or 5 hours tops once I got back into the groove of burning again.
What's the freakin' problem? See above.
Knitting (oldest to newest; minus one small project that is a gift):
Started: Almost 3 years ago
What's required to finish? About 4 more inches of the body and 1 short sleeve.
What's the freakin' problem? I'm going to run out of yarn. Now...it's not a huge problem because I shouldn't knit the sweater as long as the pattern suggests due to my wide hips. I definitely want the bottom to fall above the hips and I'm certain I have enough yarn to do that. But it just means I need to think a bit, try it on, and then think some more. I know that's a pathetic excuse.
Project: Sylvi
Started: Almost 2.5 years ago
What's required to finish? Pretty much the whole darn thing. I don't even think I can really consider this a true WIP considering what I've done with it so far. This is really one of those stash with needles attached things.
What's the freakin' problem? I think the size is intimidating me. I LOVE the coat but even in bulky, if I work on it, that's the only thing I'll get done this winter. I need to sneak in rows here and there on this project though so that I get enough done that I can consider it manageable.
Project: Kerrera
Started: Almost 2.5 years ago
What's required to finish? Pretty much the whole darn thing. Another I don't think I can really consider a true WIP considering what I've done with it so far.
What's the freakin' problem? Too many other things on the needles and shiny things distracting me. I LOVE this sweater/jacket and really want to see how it will work up in this yarn. So who knows.
Project: Lara
Started: 1.5 years ago
What's required to finish? A few knitted leaves plus an I-cord edging.
What's the freakin' problem? I don't really know. I love this hat, I love this yarn, and I love this color. I think it's because I need to pick up a new skill to finish it off...an I-cord edge. So that is a little intimidating to me. I've looked at a video and it seems simple enough but new techniques always seem to paralyze me for a few days (months...years...whatever).
Project: Twenty Ten Cardigan
Started: First attempt in June (gauge issue) but second attempt early December
What's required to finish? Finishing up the 2 fronts, the collar, and 2 short-sleeves
What's the freakin' problem? None really except I sort of lost steam with the project and it isn't stockinette and apparently my brain can only handle stockinette right now. I had to rip 7 inches out originally and start over but even that didn't dampen the enthusiasm of this project. I just haven't picked it up in a month even though it won't take that much more knitting to finish it up.
Project: Featherweight Cardigan
Started: One month ago
What's required to finish? About half the body, 2 sleeves, and the front panel/collar edging
What's the freakin' problem? Nothing...chuggin' right along because it's shiny and new and I am loving the yarn (my own hand-dye).
Project: Koukla Cardigan
Started: Um yesterday (yes, I caved, go ahead and laugh)
What's required to finish? Almost the whole thing
What's the freakin' problem? Nothing...love this knit, love this yarn (first time I have worked with it) and it's mainly stockinette to boot which I am craving right now. Working on it.
Spinning:
Started: I think a few weeks ago (the top picture is the first bobbin completed, the bottom is the second bobbin of the same roving (I'm about to get into the purple and blues so both bobbins will be similar once done).
What's required to finish? Maybe 2 more hours of spinning, plus plying and then setting the twist.
What's the freakin' problem? Nothing. I don't spin every night and this is spinning up fairly fine so it just takes time. But I really want to get this done because I am so anxious to start on this:
I may be able to go to the Hood River fiber festival this year before heading to Canada (and even if not, my friends are going and they can buy stuff for me), but I've got this crazy idea to buy enough of a fiber to spin and then knit a sweater. I LOVE this ladie's fiber...it's so dark with just splashes of color...and for a sweater's amount, the cost will be very reasonable. This one is purple obviously, but she has others that are beautiful (like a teal one) so the color choice is going to be hard. So I want to spin up this batch that my friends got me last year to see what sort of weight I think I can get out of it to know how much I'd need to buy...and to make sure that what I spin up, I'll actually like for a sweater. So, obviously that needs to be done before the fiber festival in April.
Started: Almost a year ago.
What's required to finish? Lots...this is all I have done of 4 ounces of fiber.
What's the freakin' problem? A couple things. I'm not near as comfortable spinning on a spindle yet in terms of consistency...and this fiber may not be the best to start with. It seems that during the dye process it may have felted just a little bit which is making it a bit of a pain to spin. This will likely either go out in the field with me or I'll just toss what I've started and switch to spinning it on the wheel.
So tell me...what do you think? And what about you? What does your WIP pile looks like?
I'd love to know!
_ _ _ _ _Now playing: Nobody's Fault But Mine by Abigail Washburn (click on it I beg you...music at its finest...a woman and her banjo)
.












so many things to say...
ReplyDelete(a) you are an amazing artist! your drawings are fantastic! (and oh how i love that squirrel!!)
(b) your spinning is just blowing my mind!!
(c) abigail washburn is completely blowing my mind!! i'm going to have to look into her further!
(d) i think startitis waxes and wanes... just ride it out, you'll finish stuff when you're ready to.
aw, you are sweet. thanks! And I can see you are way more relaxed about WIPs and start-itis than I am!
DeleteYes, you do need to check out Abigail Washburn. What's pretty incredible is that she is married to Bela Fleck...'the' banjo player (IMHO). There is a short 5-song disc called The Sparrow Quartet where they are playing together. I would suggest starting with her album 'Song of a Traveling Daughter'. Very bluegrassy but also, she loves singing old Appalachian root music in Chinese. It may sound too strange to be good, but in reality it is hauntingly beautiful (here is a video...and has Bela Fleck playing with her!).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PotFtbUaQ
I also have her album just called after her name. I like it immensely but not as much as the other.
Oh my gosh that squirrel and jay drawing is GREAT!! I get where you're coming from emotionally, but OMG I love that thing.
ReplyDeleteWhite Russian - wow, was that 3 years ago?! I'm now worried I'm confusing your White Russian with someone else's, but I feel like I just read about it!!
Also, I love the idea for this post. While my stash is suuuuuper ridiculous, my WIP accumulation isn't quite as bad as it once was...which is not to say it's good. Ha.
Yeah, you people are no help at all. Everyone wanting to see me finish the one project that is the hardest to finish!! But I appreciate the enthusiasm for my drawings! Likely this one will have to wait until after this years field season as I leave in 2 months and won't have a day off during that time.
DeleteAnd yes, I'm pretty sure you aren't confusing my White Russian with any other...you've always commented when I post in progress pictures of it...sadly life really does go that fast!
So does that mean you are considering putting up WIP post? ;)
Finish the drawings... they are truly AWESOME and your dad will love them. What, really, is the chance that you will screw them up?? REALLY.
ReplyDeletePick up ONE knitting project and just plan to knit a couple rows a night/day. You will be surprised how quickly you will finish it. White Russian, just stop at the length it is now and call it the right length.
Spinning, perhaps do what the Yarn Harlot does and declare Tuesday spinning day.... spin instead of knit that day.
I am not even going to attempt to describe my WIPs..... You've seen most of them.....
Ah, the eternal optimist in my life! ;) I don't know what the chance is really...probably slim but you know my brain doesn't always accept reality!
DeleteI like the idea of a spinning day (well, in my case it would be a spinning hour on a particular day)...but progress would be slow if I restricted myself that way.
Is it possible that I may have a pretty similar number of WIPs as you now?
You are not even close to the number of WIPs I have..... not to mention the 'not started' projects.
DeleteUh! Wow! I don't even know what to say....my favorite the first drawing of the bluebird and squirrel - absolutely love!!! second favorite is the soft blue cardi on the needles - that looks like scrumptious yarn. I have a sock finished from a pair I started over a year ago!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhile I think you definitely need to knit more, I can appreciate that when you do knit, you almost always only have one project on the go at any time. Part of me yearns for that simplicity but part of me knows that moods change and if I did that and wasn't 'feeling' the project, it could be months before I pick it back up (maybe that is why you haven't finished your sock from a year ago?).
Delete1. Finish the drawing. It's amazing.
ReplyDelete2. Finish Feather Cardigan.
3. Finish White Russian.
Kate has spoken.
;-)
Hmmm...now that Kate has spoken... ;) See response to Lauren above about finishing the drawing...this fall I'll make it a priority.
DeleteAnd yes...the two you suggest finishing really do make the most sense. We'll see what I can do.
Oh, and bring the hat that needs an i-cord edge to knit night. We will get you started and you will be finished in no-time!
ReplyDeleteDon't be scared! Jump in with new stuff, pick up old stuff, just do what grabs you, your talents are wonderful to see, let them run free!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement Sarah!!
DeleteI have the same problem and once a year, I go through my stash and wips and make tough decisions. I recently had a big destash as I moved to an apartment and do not have so much space. Finish off some of the projects that require not so much work and you will feel better. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that finishing off some of the projects that won't require much (the hat, White Russian, and even the Twenty Ten Cardigan) would make me happy! Good advice.
Deleteoh these are all super lovely works-in-progress! my list is an open secret over on flickr. i tend to alternate one old WIP finish with one new WIP finish. it seems to feel futile sometimes, but it amounts to something in the aggregate. oh, and I cull WIPs regularly to frog yarn or make slashed-scrap quilts. good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chawne! I think I like your idea of alternating working on an old WIP with a new WIP. Perhaps that will help balance that urge to start new with the urge to finish old.
DeleteI love it all. And I love that you put it out there! I am still planning to do this. It's going to be pretty lengthy (I may have to break it into two posts...). I completely get your logic with stash to WIP status. I do the same thing.
ReplyDeleteIt's ongoing, but you should continue with these lovelies. I am amazed at your drawing talent!
I have to say that even pulling these out of my bag to photograph them really made me realize how much I wanted to finish them. It's a bit overwhelming of course (especially if you have more than me!), but it also reminds you of just what is left and that it is possible to finish them up. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts!
DeleteHoly cow...just when I think I've seen all your artistic talents, you throw me another curve ball! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the squirrel and blue jay! You are one talented lady. :)
ReplyDeleteBy the by...don't let all those WIPs get to you. The ones that you're unsure of, go ahead and rip them out and use the yarn for something that inspires you in this moment and time. Be kind to yourself. We all have those projects that never get finished.
Awww, thanks Jessi! Although I wonder if it counts as talent when you only practice it once every 5 years or so. Yikes.
DeleteThat's the thing about my WIPs...I'm not unsure of any of them and do really want to finish them all. It's just having multiple sweaters plus a coat on the needles at once makes my eyes twitch a little is all! ;)