I had to make an extremely uncomfortable, yet necessary phone call. I could tell I really upset her (not intentionally) but it needed to happen. I know it's part of life and it's sometimes a requirement of my position but it really sucks being the bad guy.
Monday
Tuesday
I love happy mail days. Today it was a box from the spice store holding, what I've been told, are the key ingredients to make authentic butter chicken. We'll see. It's going on the menu for Saturday night. In the meantime I keep walking past the box and smelling it.
Wednesday
The pettiness of people in this profession shouldn't continue to surprise me. And yet, every time it does.
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Butter chicken (more on that later) and a wee bit of whiskey and Dr. Pepper finally took the edge off a week that gave me no mercy...a week that apparently decided I needed one more sucker punch for good measure today.
**are you getting tired of deer pictures yet? cuz I'm not! This time of year they are everywhere and come onto our property daily.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Shelter from the Storm by Mary Lee's Corvette
.







You know what comes into my head every time I see one of these posts? Je t'adore. Corny, I know, but it just does.
ReplyDeleteAh, academia. It and teaching to me are the two professions that attract a certain type. And I've known (do know) and worked with a lot of wonderful academics/researchers as well as teachers, but also.... there's just something about the professions of knowledge/teaching that brings out a possessiveness and a pettiness or maybe even attracts it. Deep breaths of fresh air and communing with nature will always help!
The smell of Indian spices is one of my favourites!!! Mmmmmm.
Never tired of deer photos. Glad you hired someone, good luck with two more. Days are getting longer which makes it easier to get out, right?
Plus, we have knitting.
Your first comment made me smile so much. Thank you friend for that.
DeleteWhen I first read what you wrote about academia and pettiness I protested a little in my head that in this case, it wasn't someone from academia (as I define it)...and then I realized that yes, it was. And almost all the problems that I've had recently on a professional level have been with professors...as opposed to researchers from state/federal/or private organizations. You may not make that distinction, but in my case, I'm now thinking I should.
In theory, longer days means more chance to get out yes...in theory. ;) And yes, we have knitting.
I forgot to ask how the Butter Chicken was! I can almost smell it.
ReplyDeleteIt was pretty good...perhaps not equivalent to the best restaurant quality that I've eaten but FAR better than any recipe I've tried thus far. It was even better the next day after the flavors melded together even more. I have a few ideas for tweaking the recipe that I think will work...and I think making it with summer fresh (meaning ones with actual taste) tomatoes will make a huge difference as well. So definitely a keeper.
Deleteseems like a lovely week to me. would love to get to be surrounded by so much beauty. i hope this is a better week...
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting for me to read your comment after a particularly hellish week. But then I realize that I often make a very large effort not to focus on all the bad with these posts. Some of it obviously slips through despite my best efforts simply because life isn't shiny and happy all the time. Maybe I'm doing it better than I thought if you thought that week was lovely!
DeleteThe beauty that surrounds me is the one thing that keeps me sane in the day to day. I definitely don't take it for granted.
I love your deer photos! There is something so graceful and peaceful about them. Please don't stop showcasing them!
ReplyDeleteButter chicken is the food of the gods. Well, maybe not officially, but it should be. This is my favourite butter chicken recipe. I especially love that it is done in the slow cooker.
http://www.mealplanning101.com/2008/09/slow-cooker-butter-chicken.html
I'm anxious to see your recipe, and also to find out where you ordered your tandoori spice from. It is not an easy thing to find in Kamloops. I hope this week goes better for you.
And so I shall continue to share deer photos!
DeleteI agree wholeheartedly. Butter chicken is the food of the gods...at least if they have any sense. I get Indian food so rarely that I never try anything different...I always order butter chicken. Part of me thinks that is problematic but mostly I don't! The recipe that I used is pretty intensive: http://www.homemaderecipes.com.au/authentic-butter-chicken-murgh-makhani-recipe/
And as for the spices, I ordered all mine from a spice shop that has a store 'relatively' local in Bend, OR...called Savory Spice Shop. Very reasonable prices and I ended up getting garam masala (cuz I'm too lazy to make my own and you can't buy it here anyway), fenugreek leaves, whole mace blades, green cardamon pods, and the tandoori seasoning. What I couldn't find for that recipe was tandoori coloring so I just used equivalent amounts of red and yellow food coloring to get the classic red color (I don't like using food coloring but I felt like I needed authentic this time...don't ask me why!).
I'll check out your slow-cooker recipe...I can see how a slow cooker would be good...heat all day to really let the spices release their flavor!
bring on the deer!!! i don't get deer in my yard, so i have to live vicariously through you!!
ReplyDeletethat said, oh my gosh, that first photo is just breathtaking! i also love the last one, so serene.
i hope, my dear friend, that this week is much easier and less stressful for you!
Okay, I will!
DeleteThanks for the compliments on the photos!
And I don't expect my weeks will get easier any time soon but I appreciate the wish! I remarked to a friend the other day that it's very telling when part of you longs for the field season (which is insane as well) just for a 'break'. It's hard to explain why that would be but it is.
Oooh, I love butter chicken. I also love all the snowy pictures. Hope this week has been better.
ReplyDeleteThanks Phoe!
DeleteI hate being the bad guy, but I love butter chicken. I hope it was as good as your spices smelled. I am not tired of deer pictures. They are a very nice addition to my mostly urban life.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad there are many butter chicken lovers out there. I bet you have access to some amazing Indian restaurants close to you. Unfortunately the closest to us is 2.5 hours away. THAT'S why I need to find the perfect recipe and won't stop until I do! ;)
DeleteI really understand how you feel about all those interviews and rejections. I worked in Human Resources for 20+ years and I went through that everyday. Used to love butter chicken but now I am a vegetarian.
ReplyDeleteAh, I wouldn't even begin to want to be in human resources...the little I go through with hiring is enough for me! I have a lot of respect for those folks!
DeleteHi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI had a moment to catch up on some blogs. Looks like you need to get knitting! Love that white sweater that's almost compete. I've been knitting for babies at the moment...so many being born that I don't have time to knit for myself. Hope all is well and that this week is going better than last!
Hi Jane! Yes, I do need to get knitting but my time is running out! I'll be happy to get one of those WIPs done before heading to the field. I hope you are doing well...I miss seeing your 5 things pop up in my reader!
DeleteI know I'm late to this, but I'm sorry you had such a rough week. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteThanks Jessi -- most weeks are tough with respect to work but I'm finding that it depends on where my mental state is whether I can handle them with grace or not! This particular week...not so much. ;)
Delete