How in the world is it February? I almost put some expletives in there but let's keep it PG rated for the time being...but trust me, they were there in my head.
Instead of focusing on the fact that I thought I was back to regular blogging and it's been a month since I said that...well, let's not dwell and just put up a blog post shall we? In whatever form it takes. This may be a bit all over the place.
January was hectic...I was gone pretty much the last 2 weeks of the month and so I'm just not hitting 'that groove' yet. Not in anything...work, this blog, cooking, crafting (including the fiber related kind), reading... I'm doing okay with my daily intentions for the most part and I'm pretty sure that is only because of the whole accountability thing. Most of my exercise time is scheduled either with someone or with a class and so I have little choice but to go even if I'm not feeling like moving. On days when I'm not scheduled to work out with someone, I 'have' to report in with a friend what I've done -- a person who is about the most disciplined with this kind of stuff that I've ever encountered. When she sets a goal, she does it. It's inspiring, motivating and I have to admit, a wee bit annoying on some days! ;) So those days when I just want to curl up with a book or fiber instead of working up a sweat, when her text comes telling me what she's done, it makes me get up and move so she doesn't see how lazy I could be. And that has been so great for me... so very great. (thanks Sue!)
There are many times when I wonder about continuing this blog. When I go down that path of thought though, I remind myself of the friendships that I've formed through this space and that alone is reason enough to keep a blog. But I certainly don't need the blog to maintain relationships with those folks. And then recently I realized an incredibly important link for me...accountability. As I keep mentioning, this is a huge thing for me. When I started the blog, I meant it as a way for my friends and family to keep up with my life. And through time, as I got a bit better readership, it evolved into a crafting blog. Since then it's evolved into something a bit more vague...maybe a life blog of sorts? But, and here's my big point in all this...I used this blog during it's 'craft blog' phase for accountability. At the time, I'm not sure I knew I was aware I was actually doing this. But when you have a crafting blog, you sort of want to have something new to share as frequently as possible. That motivated me to carve out time to craft most days. The shift in the blog's focus means I've lost the accountability aspect of using it.
Considering I'm in such a rut relative to crafting and art, I think I need to challenge myself to get back to using this space for that...for accountability. And that means I'm challenging myself to not only post more frequently, but to have something new to post about each week -- in the craft, art, photography or fiber realm.
So let's begin with an easy one...
When I first got out of the field, all I wanted to do was spin. And spin I did. In about a month, I had spun more than I had the entire last year. The first pair of pictures is an Ashford silk blend that was difficult for me to spin because the silk was clumping. Otherwise, I love the color and I have a full 8.2 ounces to play with. I ended up with a 2-ply light sport weight yarn (~945 yards) and I'm hoping I have enough to make a tank top -- because with the silk, I think it would make great drape in a garment. I'm still looking through patterns to find the perfect one. (and for the life of me, I could not get a good photo of the color...it really is a beautiful purple!)
This second pair of photos show some merino that was dyed by my friend. It was easy
to spin and I LOVE the color.. I ended up with about 400 yards of fingering weight with 2-ply. I think I know what I'll make with it
but I'm still thinking it through...
The skein below is one of two. I've finished spinning the first 4 ounces but haven't started the second. This one was a challenge because it seems a bit felted and the way the colors were dyed messed with my neurotic tendencies (splotches rather than bands!). I knew going in that I wanted to end up with worsted weight and it's a struggle for me to spin that thick (for me, it's way easier to stay consistent when spinning thinner). But even so, I'll need to chain-ply this to end up with worsted -- and with the way the colors are working out, I also want to chain-ply to maintain some of the color lengths. Trouble is...I know not how to chain-ply. Sue will teach me when I'm ready though so it's exciting to know that new skill is coming. And I'm super excited to see what this looks like in the end...the colors are blending together is such a beautiful way!
And finally -- since it seems spinning more than 4 ounces of any one fiber at a time maxes my attention span, I popped this bamboo blend on the wheel between the 4 ounce hanks of above. This is a hank that John bought me Xmas before last and it really has such beautiful colors. I'm hoping for a 2-ply laceweight so it is going to take awhile to spin up. And I'm not quite sure yet how I want the colors blending...I've split it lengthwise and am spinning that half straight through but not sure if I want that long of color bands in the finished product. So I may spin the other half either the opposite direction or...??? We'll see. It's beautiful though and such a joy to spin.
All these are in my handspun tab on Ravelry if you want more specifics. I don't think I will ever tire of watching the progression from dyed fiber to yarn...sometimes I get what I'm expecting but many times the resulting yarn is not at all as I expected. This is endless fascination for me!
Okay -- next up is to get you (and Ravelry) caught up on all my WIPs...and maybe to document all the garments that are 99% done but just need some small finishing detail. I have a stack of those so maybe it would help to share (and by stack, I mean about 7 sweaters...yup, you heard that right...I'm so pathetic). You know, so you can hold me accountable!
Tell me, are you in a crafting rut or has January been a productive month for you?
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Distant Sures by The Cave Singers
(I heard this while watching Transparent a few weeks ago. I finally downloaded it a few days ago and it's been playing almost non-stop since then).
.


Wait, what? 7 sweaters?!? Wow Batman, you have been busy!!
ReplyDeleteI can't decide if I love the orange yarn or the last yarn the most - both so delicious.
January was busy at my home desk, but I did finish a couple of projects - well got them off the needles but not yet completely done. A bit of photography and a bit of scrapbooking. Lots of reading. Not enough moving. So glad February is here!
Weeelllll...some of those sweaters that just need small finishing touches have been sitting in that pile for almost 3 years -- thus the pathetic reference. Given how little time I have to knit, I'm pleased with my sweater production. But I don't deserve the Batman label. ;)
DeleteI can't wait to see the yarn produced from that last hank...it took me a long time to want to spin it because it was just so freakin' pretty already!
Glad to hear January was pretty productive for you but in February, I'm challenging you to move more! ;)
So good to hear from you and see your progress. I sometimes think my blog is my accountability to the world (such as it is) that I am a relatively interesting person. :-)
ReplyDeleteIs chain plying the same thing as a navajo ply? I thought of that immediately when I saw that orange/yellow yarn--that would be gorgeous with a navajo ply--just googled it and yes they are the same. It is a relatively simple thing to do but it really does help to have someone show you.
I'm eager to understand why being in the field makes you want to spin because I keep waiting for the spinning mojo to make a return appearance!
If that's the case, then it's working...I think you are a 'relatively interesting person'!
DeleteI am lucky to have a spinner extraordinaire that lives 2 blocks from me an who is also a good friend. otherwise, I think I would be lost on the chain-plying (yes, navajo ply).
I think the desire to spin in the field comes from not being able to do it (we always want what we can't have). This year I may take my drop spinner out but I'm not very good at spinning on it (barely done it) so it may increase my stress instead of decreasing it!
You have me thinking about accountability. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I hate feeling obligated, but I also often enjoy reporting my accomplishments. I'm probably most productive when my husband is out of town and I'm accountable to no one. Hmmm... What does that mean? I like the variety of colors you are showing up there. I think the top is my favorite. I like deep purples. I haven't done any crafting in quite a while. The last thing I picked up was an unfinished hat from last year. I just couldn't get it together and had to frog the whole thing and start over. And I just realized I totally spaced going to the gym around lunch hour today. It's 4:22pm now. Sigh. I guess I'm always trying to find that elusive "groove". ;)
ReplyDeleteThis made me think... And here's how I view the difference between accountability in the sense of what I need and obligation. One is for me, for my well-being, and the other is for something someone else needs. All this accountability stuff for me? I can stop reporting any time I want because it's just for me. But for things that I feel obliged to do? Well that's trickier because in almost every case, it's for someone else.
DeleteAnd your example illustrates this perfectly in my opinion... I, too, am more productive when my husband is gone because I'm only accountable to myself...not to myself and my husband.
I think part of the reason 'groove' is so elusive is because it is ever changing with the normal ebb and flow of our lives. Sometimes I think chasing after it feeds my feelings of discontentment. (is that a word?)
Good point about "someone else", it changes everything. And... "normal ebb and flow of our lives" That's a good thing to remember. The shifts are normal. Remaining solid and steady isn't really normal. No need to strive for it. I feel better. It is absolutely a word. :)
Delete