Monday, January 11, 2016
I Am An Obliger...
One of the books that I read over the summer (speaking of...I'll be providing an update on my Book Bingo Challenge soon!) was Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of our Everyday Lives by Gretchin Rubin. The premise of the book is...well the title sort of says it all doesn't it? I had heard good things and thought what the hey. This was actually the first book I'd ever read in the self-help genre. My opinion of the book: I think that the author was not the best to write the book because she is apparently one of those personality types that just has to think about doing something and instantly it becomes a habit. In my opinion, for the rest of us who have a bit harder time developing habits, it didn't really provide as much useful information as I was expecting/hoping. That's not to say that it didn't give me ideas...I did end up highlighting quite a bit (the idea of never having goals like 30-day challenges when trying to start habits...and the idea that rewards are not good [even if they aren't food rewards] made a light bulb go off in my head!).
But the most important thing I learned from the book...I am primarily an Obliger. Simply put, I do everything in my power not to break promises to other people (this includes personal and work), but when it comes to promises to myself? Well...not so much. And therefore, one of the best things for my type to have in order to build and stick to habits is accountability...preferably external accountability. It seems like something I would have learned by now but let's not dwell on that!
Last year I attempted to do some daily challenges. It was hit or miss before I finally gave up some time in February. And despite the fact that I gave up, the premise behind having daily intentions has stuck with me and I think, at least for me, it's invaluable. But it also has to be realistic...always a hard one for me. And perhaps even more importantly, these have to be things that I can do anywhere...sitting in my truck in the middle of nowhere or in a hotel or in the comfort of my own home. So using some of the tools I learned in that book, I'm trying again this year. Part of my external accountability is posting them here in this space. And part is checking in with my mom weekly to tell her how many days that I week I accomplished each intention. This list...every single thing is critical to my mental sanity. I've been at this a week only and it's pretty easy to tell that days where I do all 6 things, I am happier, more productive and just in a better head-space than if I don't. I make better decisions (particularly regarding food) and I just feel like I have better control of myself and my life.
So here we go...keep me accountable will you?
1. BREATHE -- obviously I breathe every day but this is intentional breathing. At least 10 breaths. Often I do ratio breath or alternate nostril breath...but some days it's just 10 deep breaths. This happens in the shower many days...but there is nothing wrong with that.
2. JOURNAL -- one sentence minimum. Even if that sentence is 'I don't feel like writing'. Journaling is extremely beneficial to me but I do spurts and stops. I want this to become a habit. I have found some daily journaling prompts that are pretty basic and they help when I get stuck.
3. MOVE -- movement that either increases strength (lifting or active yoga) or cardio health. No minimum here...just move every day. Part of this is committing to lifting 3 times per week and taking a spin class 2 times per week...all with friends. I've been lifting when home since I got out of the field in late October and went to my second spinning class tonight...I love both!
4. STRETCH/COREWORK -- minimum is stretching my problem areas -- hamstrings, shoulders and hips and just 15 seconds in plank. I find myself doing way more but I need a minimum.
5. GET OUTDOORS -- even if this means walking outside on the porch and taking my 10 breaths, get outside each and every day to breathe in fresh air.
6. CREATE -- art or photography, not fiber (I'm pretty good about making time to knit or spin when I'm home already!). 5 minutes minimum.
6 daily intentions may seem like too many. But many of these take only a few minutes and they are things that I do often...though not daily. As I mentioned, this first week I did pretty well on all of these except create. And for this, I understand why. Organization and preparation are key to working on a project each day and I'm not quite there yet. Hopefully this week.
I use this tracker. What I love about it is 1) the reminder that we are shooting for progress, not perfection and 2) that I can see the entire year on one sheet of paper (I use a different one for each intention). I think it's a great way to see cycles. Already, from last year too, I know that for some reason, on Wednesdays, everything seems to go to hell! I work 7 days a week so technically it's not really my hump day. I may never figure out why, but it's enlightening to see those patterns.
What about you? Do you have daily intention/habit goals for the new year? Does accountability help you in any way? If it does, is there any way I can help you (or we help each other)? For me, the more the merrier!
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Book of Love by Peter Gabriel
.
8 comments:
I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope you have kept your intentions this week. I love that breathe is at the top of the list!
ReplyDeleteI like accountability. Finding the right person to hold you accountable can be a challenge though. Sometimes it can be different people for different goals or actions, I suppose. I welcome questions as to how I've been active!
Except when I'm traveling for work (which happened the past 2 weeks), I've actually been quite good about keeping my intentions. I've got a couple accountability checks in place and that is making a world of different (and you are right...finding the right one is challenging and in the past hasn't worked so well).
DeleteAnd so Kate -- how are you doing with your goal of being active? ;)
What a lovely post. Your intentions all sound wonderful and will most assuredly add so much peace richness to you life. I love that they are so 'portable' and doable. Inspired by you, I think I'm going to try to do 10 conscious breaths a day as well- what a simple but important way to refocus and regroup. That tracker is awesome- I love things like that where you can visually see what you've accomplished and feel satisfied in that (I've been known to write things on my to do list after I've done them just so I can feel the satisfaction of checking them off ).
ReplyDeleteI have the intention of working on becoming a runner this year. I feel crazy even writing that down as my whole life I've been completely convinced that I'm totally incapable of that. But at the same time I've always dreamt of being able to so, as I'm turning 40 this year, it seems like a now or never type time to start. I'm taking it very very slowly and, with two kids, have a hard time getting the chance to get out there but I do have the intention and am saying it out loud, which sometimes is the most important step.
All the best to you as you pursue these intentions! I hope you are finding ease and fulfillment in sticking to your goals!
Thanks Claire! I love that you are adding in the 10 breaths to your routine. I think the breathing and the get outside ones are the most important for me. I'm still struggling with doing these intentions while traveling for work (when it's hotel living) but I knew going in it would be a struggle and I'm giving myself a break those weeks.
DeleteGiven what I saw when you were planning your weather blanket, I had a feeling that you would love that planner! It seems we both are to-do lists persons who love organization and I admit to doing the exact same thing you do!!
I think that taking it slowly with all you have going on in life right now is the exact approach you need to do. That said, I wish you all the best in capturing that dream of becoming a runner. That's fantastic! (I would love to be a runner but alas, I don't think I really have that gene...instead, my passion is biking).
And maybe I'll know when it happens via another media source, but congrats in advance for making it to the big 40. It's actually a great place to hang out for a decade! ;)
Thanks for sharing your intentions - it reminded me of some of my own, which get completely forgotten about or abandoned in the rush of the year! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks Nicole! Any day is a good day to start intentions so I hope that you've remembered yours and are having success in accomplishing them each day!
DeleteFirst of all, I love that photograph. Second, your intentions speak to me. One of my goals this year is to meditate ten minutes a day, which to me basically means relax, don't do other stuff, and concentrate on breathing. I have not been sticking to it at all! I just forget. Maybe I need to read your book. I'm going to go home and look at the piece of paper up on my refrigerator and review those 2016 thoughts of mine, not just let them fade away. Movement, fresh air, creativity, writing...and good sleep, I always want more good sleep. I'm a better person when these things are in my life. Getting back on social media has messed up my pace and focus. I actually started off the year pretty well. I might need to crawl back into my cave. Also, hamstrings are problematic for me too. Regular stretching is a requirement. I hope you are feeling good about your intentions, Rachel. I know I seem a little (maybe a lot) crabby, but it's a good thing. You've inspired me to get back to my priorities. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI love that photograph too Denise. Interestingly, it was taken about 30 minutes after the one in the previous post. One at the top of the hill, one at the bottom (of course, I had the benefit of a helicopter to ferry me between the two locations!).
DeleteI didn't get a 'crabby' vibe from your comment. I got more frustrated (maybe) that you've let some things you know to be important to you slide. And if something I wrote helped to inspire you back to those intentions, that pleases me! It sounds like you and I are very similar with our basic needs...that's not surprising.
I think I may be (finally) finding a balance with this internet world...and not letting it draw me in enough to lose that peace and focus -- and to not consume me. I've greatly reduced the sites that I visit, leaving only those that always inspire me. And as for this space, I'm trying to let go of expectations and instead use it in a way that is helpful for me. Always a work in progress...
Good luck getting back to what's important.