Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2016

I get hung up in the details...

Finishing details I mean.

But let me digress first.


Given the content of the last few posts, it may come as no surprise that I thought it would help me to update the blog and Ravelry with all my WIPs.  However, what my last post taught me is that I have no patience for keeping up with progress (WIPs and reading) in 3 different locations (goodreads, ravelry, and blogposts).  So I thought I'd go back to the widget world for at least those two things.  I'm conflicted by the new design...I loved the simplicity of the template I chose before...no side widgets and it allowed for XL pictures. But there is something appealing about having that information on a sidebar even if nobody looks at it except me.  We'll see how long it takes for me to change my mind again!

Okay, now back to the matter at hand:  I've got 2 piles of WIPs.  One pile are those that are basically done (meaning all the knitting is done) but just need either 1) one or two little finishing touches (making decisions on buttons and then sewing them on seems to be beyond me for some strange reason) or 2) a bit more time for seaming (seaming is magical to me and yet I avoid it like the plague).  The second pile of WIPs are true in-progress ones where I'm actively in the process of knitting them (<90% done).

In all honesty, I have too many of both piles.  The first pile just makes me feel guilty because as you'll see, most of these require less than an hour of work and yet most have been sitting in that pile for years.  The second pile ...well, you can now see them for yourselves on the sidebar -- and the bottom line is that many unfinished projects make my eyes twitch a bit.  As is typical with these things, pulling them all out motivated me to get some of them finished.  Hopefully you'll see them again in more detail soon.

This week, I'm laying bare the almost finished ones because it's simply pathetic that I'm that close and just can't get it done.  Also, finishing details really need to be done at home rather than in the field.  So it would be nice to have these done within the next couple of months.   Instead of posting a photo of each and every one of them, in the interest of time, you get a pile.



And now the details (top to bottom of the pile first and then the blog of purple on the left):
1. Twenty Ten Cardigan.  Finished knitting this May 2014.  All that is left is to add the buttons.  I haven't got any chosen and I don't know if I have any in my stash that will work.  I really like this knit and would definitely wear it once it is finished.
2.  White Russian.  Finished knitting this April 2013.  All that is left is to add 2 buttons.  Fake buttons at that for show only.  I really like this knit and yet there it sits because I can't make up my mind on which 2 buttons to add.
3.  Kiss of North.  Finished knitting in the field June 2015.  This one is not so bad but that said, just need to add some buttons and I think do a tiny bit of seaming (it's optional but I think I would want it).  Another knit that I'm pretty sure I would wear often (this one is hard to tell until I actually get the buttons on to know if it is flattering or not).
4. Kerrera. Finished knitting November 2014.  Finished except for buttons.  Noticing a trend here anyone?  This one is a bit more complicated since the button clasps are crocheted and I just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to do that.  I do know the buttons I want on this one and it'll take a bit of time to finish making them...but not excessively so.  LOVE this one and could wear it without the buttons I suppose but just haven't.
5. Tea Leaves Cardigan.  Wow -- now this one is a blast from the past.  Technically I was completely finished with it in October 2011.  And then shortly thereafter I read somewhere that this yarn/pattern combo really needed to have the neck stabilized or it was going to stretch crazily with repeated wear.  The neck stabilization would be a quick chain stitch around it.  I can do this...and yet this beautiful sweater has sat in my 'to be finished' pile instead of being worn for almost 5 years.  Really?? 
6. Koukla.  According to Ravelry, I finished knitting all the pieces in March 2014.  I need to finish seaming and add the buttons.  But I do remember what the problems are with this.  First is that I sewed one sleeve in a bit too tightly and I need to take it apart and redo it.  Which really, isn't that big of deal but there you go.  Second is that I have the bottom hem ready to seam and I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that in a way that will look nice.  And third, I'm a bit confused with how to seam the collar.  Instructions are not great for that and I'm trying to look at pictures to no avail.  The designer is great and I'm certain would answer any questions I had but I'm always hesitant to knock on that door unless I have to.  This will take the longest to finish...guessing a few hours to seam it all up and then you have to block it and position the buttons strategically.  I do at least have the buttons I want to use for this one picked out already.  One hurdle down.  I think I will really love this knit.  Picking it back up to photograph it, I was reminded of the beautiful color and how soft the yarn is. 


Okay, here's where you can help.  I'm issuing you 2 challenges.  The first:  If you are reading this post, please comment and tell me which one you think I should finish first (I may not take your suggestion but I'd love the opinions).  And second, tell me if you have a work in progress (doesn't have to be knitting and doesn't have to be close to being finished) that is weighing on you. Perhaps we can finish them together?

_ _ _ _ _

Now playing:  Please Come to Boston by Dave Loggins


.

15 comments:

  1. Honey pie, just order a bunch of buttons (or go to the store and get some) (or come to the Eug and we'll go to Mindy's, the best button store in the world) and just finish those top 3 before it gets too warm to wear those beauties!. DO NOT OBSESS OVER THE PERFECT BUTTON.

    I always have WIPs but if I don't finish them I'm fine with them sitting around in bags forever. But if they just need buttons, GET BUTTONS!

    Ok in case I haven't made myself clear--please please get some buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I may have missed it. You want me to get some buttons? ;) Why do I have the feeling that if you were standing beside me reading this I may have gotten a head slap?

      First...one of my problems is that I don't have a button store within 1.5 hours from me (wait, I don't even know where the closest button store is...I'll rephrase that to say a store that sells buttons. and WalMart does. not. count). Ordering online doesn't always result in buttons that I like. So that aspect of my button failure is actually legit (I don't want to live in or close to a city but there are instances where it would be convenient).

      That said, the other aspect...where I'm a perfectionist and can not make a decision. You are right and I'm getting better at that slowly. Really, I am.

      Delete
  2. I'm typing this on my phone, which I'm total rubbish at, so I'll be brief. My suggestion is to take the pile of those beautiful sweaters to a store that sells buttons. Purchase buttons for all of them. Then every day sew buttons on one of them. At the end of the week you will feel like a Knitting Goddess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea--if I can get to a store that sells buttons -- as I mentioned to Kim, that's the hard part where I live. That said, I have to go to a conference this week and will be traveling through both tri-cities and spokane. I wonder if there is a 'easy to get to' store off the main drag in either of those places. I'll try to find time to check that out and pack my stack of sweaters as well.

      Delete
  3. I totally get this. It usually takes me ages to get around to putting buttons on things. I've been known to even avoid patterns with too many buttons to begin with. And yes, I have a number of unfinished things lying around. My weather blanket is done but just needs end weaving and a border (but yet I find myself searching for new things to knit rather than just finishing it), I've got more than one blanket accumulating dust and a pair of 1.5 socks that have been sitting around for probably 6 years or so. Sigh.
    I can never find the perfect buttons either (why does no one make nice wooden buttons?), I think they just don't exist. So maybe just do some quick button shopping online and then knock out #1 & #3 and you'll be rewarded with such lovely things to wear! And a great feeling of accomplishment.
    -claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire for feeling the pain! I suspect that you and I also have the same problem of not being able to access buttons very easily (at least now for you...what an adjustment it must have been to move from NY!). I think you should get that blanket finished up...but ends and border are bigger finishing tasks than sewing on a few buttons...so I'll give you a little leeway there! ;) Maybe I'll have my stack of 6 done by the time you have your blanket done!

      Delete
  4. My vote is with White Russian. I don't like updating in multiple places either. I like the margin on my blog, but it does not show up in the mobile view and I do wonder if everyone goes to my blog via phone and no one, besides me, even sees the margin... My non-knitting WIP is cleaning out my closet, but I don't even know if it qualifies because I haven't begun. I just want to get all of the junk out of there and only see what I like and use. Simple, yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that your vote is the easiest to finish up! So it may actually get done! ;)

      I like the margin on your blog and rest assured at least one other person (me) looks at it from time to time. I like to see if you've got any more stories published.

      Where are you at with your closet cleaning?

      Delete
    2. I'm nowhere with my closet cleaning. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  5. I'm reading a book that makes me think of you constantly. It's called "The Lightkeepers" by Abby Geni. It is NOT the movie with Richard Dreyfus. Anyway--it is a story of a nature photographer who spends time on an archipelago 30 miles off the California coast with six biologists. I think you would really like this book.

    Buttons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replied to the book elsewhere...will let you know when I read it. Thanks for the rec.

      And no on the buttons. Don't ask. OR...just read the latest blog post and you'll understand.

      Delete
  6. Hi, I am clearly way behind in reading blogs and also have not commented on yours in ages. The thing about buttons here is cracking me up. It is ridiculously difficult to deal with buttons, isn't it. How far are you from Walla Walla? I recently discovered that our lovely little Main Street fabric shop, Stash, has a small collection of some nice buttons. (Oh BTW, I live in Walla Walla now...!)
    If you're still accepting votes, I say GOOD LORD just finish that Tea Leaves!
    ~Lauren (FKA Hungry Knitter, but I deleted my blog, oops.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LAUREN!! Wait, what?? You live in Walla Walla now? That's only 1.25 hours from me. Hmmm... ;)

      Oh, I'm still accepting votes cuz nothing has been done. And yes, I clearly deserved a 'good lord'.

      Delete
  7. I finished cleaning my closet... How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this comment, that you finished that task, reminded me to grab a couple of those sweaters and take them with me last week when I went 'into civilization'. 2 sets of buttons are purchased...now I just need to sew them on. We'll see how long that takes! ;)

      Honestly, I'm up and down...wild roller coaster shifts in mood and my ability to handle things. But am on the upswing currently and thinking about a post...

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.