Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Yarn Along: 2.10.2016



"When they want to make him go to his cabin, he allows himself to be guided without a word, but they find him again a little while later, on the after-deck, one hand holding the railing, the other clasping the child, with the small, worn leather suitcase lying at his feet."

from: Monsieur Linh and His Child by Philippe Claudel





joining with ginny at small things for this week's yarn along:

I've never participated in this before (and technically am not participating officially and doing a little bit of my own thing) but figured this would help with the accountability thing.



Reading:  Monsieur Linh and His Child by Philippe Claude.  This was a gift from a very good friend many years ago and I'm just getting around to reading it now.  I'm not very far into it so can't say much about the story, but the language is beautiful.  Kate -- I think, because of the language, you'd appreciate this one.  Interestingly, when I put this in Goodreads, I realized I had read another great book by this same author -- Brodeck.  I should note that after finishing this book, I'll be 6 away from a cover-all in my book bingo challenge.  I'm pretty excited by this and know I'll reach my goal of a cover-all in a year.  More on that later...  

Knitting:  I'm hoping my knitting mojo is finally returning but I don't want to jinx myself.  I picked up Element again after a 5 month hiatus and have made a ton of progress just in the last couple of days.  Seems using this blog for accountability may be helping already!  I'm enjoying the knit and this sweater is so my style...but it'll take me awhile to finish it. 


Spinning:  I'm about a third of a way through the first half of that beautiful Woolgatherings fiber...a merino, bamboo, and silk mix that is divine to spin!  And trust me, it's so much prettier than this crappy, out-of-focus picture shows.

Creating:  I'm slowly working on a new paper-cut...one that I've wanted to do for a long time.  It's tedious, challenging, and slow going but I'm making a bit of progress in fits and starts.

Cooking:  Nothing fancy because I haven't been in the mood in all honesty.  So focusing on some simple, healthy, staples  But I did make this recipe for the first time yesterday and I think it will become a new daily staple.  See, I want to like smoothies but I really don't.  I like to eat my food, not drink it.  And typically they are made with frozen fruit etc and they end up too cold for my teeth.  And finally, I think it's a texture thing...fruits and veggies blended normally are quite thick and for some reason that puts me off.  But still I keep trying, hoping to find a healthy one that I can tolerate for a snack.  This one may be it.  Very healthy ingredients that combined taste pretty good.  And with just a normal blender, it liquefies it so I can drink it.  The recipe says 2 servings but it made enough for 4, 8 ounce jam jar servings.  The remainder goes into the fridge with the screw top on and I can just shake and drink...  If you try it, let me know how you like it.

Okay, how about you?  What are you reading?  Knitting?  Spinning?  Crafting?  or Cooking?

_ _ _ _ _ _

Now playing: Ophelia by The Lumineers

(I've been anxiously waiting for their new album...the first single was worth the wait)

.

4 comments:

  1. That carrot, orange, and turmeric smoothie looks superb. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks! I made this soup http://nancyvienneau.com/blog/recipes/carrot-cauliflower-soup-with-lemony-cilantro-oil/ last week and loved it. The toppings are a must, but only if you like cilantro, lemon, and coriander...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling you would gravitate toward that smoothie. This is my fourth day drinking it and still am liking it (and feeling good about myself with all that good stuff I'm putting in my body!). ;) Thanks for the soup recipe...I'll have to try it out and let you know. Sundays are soup days in this house so maybe this weekend...

      Delete
  2. I finally made this smoothie today. I had to substitute almonds for cashews, and I didn't use the coconut oil, but...DELICIOUS! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you liked it!! I think I would prefer the almond substitution... I haven't made it in over a month but feeling like that should come into rotation this week.

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.