Thank you all for the kind birthday wishes...I'll respond to each of them soon. I'm out of the woods for a few days but the work 'to do' list is long. But I quickly wanted to post an update on the book challenge. I've read 11 books (well, 1 is a short story) since starting it and am halfway through the 12th and 13th (only reading 2 at a time because one is fiction and the other is a 'self-help' book). Not all that I'm reading can be a square marked off so I've not yet even gotten a row of bingo...but I'm fine with that. The challenge has reminded me of my love of reading and I have 9 more months to check off every square! ;)
Today I'll just post the screenshot of my card...with the extra books I've read not fitting into a category (or fitting into one I've already read) written at the bottom. And I've read several more short stories from The New Yorker that aren't listed...
And then just one observation. As mentioned before, I've fallen into a rut of 'easy' reads the past few years which is one reason I started this challenge. The rut is partly because it's all my brain can handle during field seasons (or at least, that's what I keep telling myself)...and since I'm in the field 8-9 months of the year, well, you do the math. And partly just because it was 'easier' (or lazy -- whichever word works!). Since I last updated, I've read two books (The God of Small Things and Rebecca) that within the first few sentences I was reminded what I've been missing by reading 'easy-lit' rather than 'literature'. The language, the style...it's so noticeably different...better, more complex, beautiful... I need to remember that...
If you want to see my reviews on any of these, head over to my goodreads account. In the meantime, a visit to the local bookstore, another visit to the used bookstore (I love that place -- this time I grabbed 5 more books since it was all the cash I had on me and he doesn't take cards!), a subscription to The New Yorker and thus access to all the online archives, and shortening day lengths (finally!!) means a lot more reading over the next couple of months. Although I'll likely wait to update again until sometime in October.
Now. What have you been reading? ;)
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Keep The Streets Empty For Me by Fever Ray
.

Hi and thanks for your VERY CONFUSING comment on my blog that you had not heard of 'Rebecca' til this summer!! :-) I was in the play of Rebecca during my senior year---I was the sister in law of I guess the husband. I wore a harem outfit for the masquerade party. But glad you liked it!
ReplyDeleteI used to really like Chris Bohjalian (I'm assuming you've read his earlier work...before his historical stuff and his post-apocolyptic stuff). I really love "Midwives" and "The Law of Similars" and "Before You Know Kindness".
To that I usually respond -- I grew up in WV. I love my home state but I'm finding that maybe the literature side of my education was a bit lacking! For my square 'classics I should have read in high school'...there are just SO many.
DeleteI did really enjoy Rebecca...but the funny thing was that I didn't really think about it much. I just read and enjoyed the story and the language. And then I read the reading discussion thing at the end (which i do sometimes but not always) and it talked about the author and the similarities to her life and a lot about the two women of the novel... anyway, those few pages made me appreciate the novel even more! And now I must watch the movie when I return this fall...just because!
The only CB I had read before was Midwives...and I didn't connect the dots that they were the same author until after I had finished this current one. I liked this one so much that I may take your suggestion and check out the other two you mentioned of his earlier works.
Rebecca is my mother's favorite book. Intense! I'm juggling too many books, as I so often do. I see something and get excited and can't wait, or too many holds at the library arrive at once, or I experience something that makes me want to reread something on my shelf. So... I'm currently reading Mrs. Dalloway (reread), The Unspeakable by Meghan Daum, and The Door by Magda Szabo. I just picked up Flannery O'Connor's letters, The Habit of Being, and Judith Hermann's Summerhouse, Later from the library. Sheesh... ;)
ReplyDeleteHoly cow -- I can not juggle that many books. Even the 2 I have going on now is taxing to me! I am reading a book that is not grabbing my attention and I'm pretty sure in the end, is not going to be one I will have enjoyed reading. And so the pull to other books is strong...but I am resisting. I'm too far into it to give up...I'm a bit stubborn that way.
DeleteAh, Mrs. Dalloway -- the only VW I have read (sadly -- must change that) and I'm sad to say it took reading The Hours before I picked it up as a 'companion' piece.
The rest...if one stands out as a great read, let me know. The Unspeakable and The Door piqued my interested at first glance...
I love this reading card... it's a great idea to push yourself out of reading "comfort zones"! I think I must adopt this too!
ReplyDeleteI've just finished reading "Mornings in Jenin" by Susan Abulhawa and wow, it really sears itself into your being - what a powerful narrative!
Somehow I missed this comment Nicole! I hope that you do adopt some form of this challenge...it's been really fun to push myself this year!
DeleteI have not heard of this book or author but will have to look it up -- thanks for the recommendation!
This looks like so much fun! I love the idea of this reading bingo! And I'm super excited to see you have a goodreads account- I'm always eager to find the next great book to read! Hope you don't mind if I pursue your bookshelves over there :)
ReplyDeleteIt has been fun and likely, very soon I'll be starting the card over! That's how much I've enjoyed this challenge. If you decide to do something similar, you'll have to let me know!
DeleteAnd yes, I'm super happy to hook up with you on Goodreads! I took a glance at books we both read and when I saw you gave Gone Girl only 3 stars, I figured we were kindred spirits! ;)
yes, i saw lots of goodreads overlap too- fun to have someone to bounce reading ideas off of. i'd love to do a reading card someday when i have a bit more time- sounds like so much fun!
Deletei actually hated gone girl but gave it 3 stars because it was so riveting. in a really awful way. ;)