So it's a bit deflating to be this tired and this burnt out when the field season is really only just starting. The ache of wanting to be home is creeping in way earlier this year than past years...and I need to shake that off. It's too early...there is too much more time left to let myself go there.
I typically don't share many pictures from the field season...so thought maybe I'd share a few today and introduce you to my group of animals (the group that I collect data from day to day). Most of them are in the final stages of shedding their past winter coat and starting to grow their new winter coat. So they are still a big straggly looking...
And to get a flavor for it all...this stint:
-- we had to 'run' from wolves. Didn't see them (although saw 2 pups last week) but when you hear them, you know they are without a couple kilometers of you and we just don't chance it with these animals.
-- we worked in one of my favorite parts of our study area...the mountainous region outside of Chetwynd.
-- we got rained on more than once and otherwise experienced fall-like temperatures which is messing with my internal clock.
-- we saw double rainbows more than once.
-- we got run out of our last pair of pens because of bugs...we got into some high elevation stuff where bugs haven't died down yet.
-- we worked in a location where huckleberries were abundant. between kristin and I, while waiting for animals to feed, we picked almost 4 gallons of berries. Now, these don't have the flavor of NE Oregon berries (although same species) but they are still good and I'm grateful to have those for winter.
-- one of my 2-year-olds decided she needed to test my dominance. She caught me unawares once and almost took me out. Suffice it to say, we've re-established that I'm top dog and she's behaving herself again.
-- day length is shortening enough that when I get up at 445, I'm starting to see some sunrises. Going to bed too early for sunsets though but in a couple weeks, those will get earlier and earlier.
-- we reached 100 total caribou pens for the project, bypassed the 1 millionth bite that Kristin and I have recorded on caribou so far, and reached 75 macroplots of vegetation clipping for the year (almost 250 for the project). All this on a study that almost no one thought we would actually succeed at since the obstacles were so great from the very beginning. Not bad eh?
All par for the course with this work.
Heading out again shortly for round 2...will try to get a book challenge update scheduled to post while I'm gone.
Hope you all are enjoying your summer!
| Some Aster spp. after the rain... |
| Same area, different view... |
| No idea what these plants were...invasive weeds most likely...but there was a sea of them and it was pretty beautiful. |
| This is Daphne...a favorite of the bottle-raised animals. She's 6 years old and has the biggest set of antlers of all our caribou minus the bull. She's got quite the personality! |
| I think you can really see her beauty in this picture... |
| From our third pair of pens... |
| double rainbow from our 4th pair of pens...right after a pretty harsh, but short, downpour. |
| Daylength shortening enough to see a sunrise...this at 0445. |
| The other direction from the double rainbows...the mist still visible. |
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: What It Is by Mark Knopfler
.
Anazing pictures, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sue! The mountainous region of our study site really is quite amazing. High elevation stuff that is still green...when we came down and dropped back into the valley, it was dramatically different and looked similar to the Blues.
DeleteI love the photo of Wind in her shedding stage. It's beautiful. And such a gorgeous landscape... Take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteAh Wind. She's not a classic 'pretty' because she has what we refer to as a 'roman nose'. But she's such a gentle animal and one can't help but to be drawn to her.
DeletePerhaps my attraction is linked to my own Italian ancestry. ;)
Deleteperhaps. ;) but you are probably drawn to her for the same reasons I am....all of us gentle, quiet souls. even in a photograph, I think that comes through...
Delete:)
DeleteSuch a spectacular place. I am glad you can look up from your work and capture the beauty around you. Keep breathing.... home will be there when you get there.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to be aware of my surroundings and to capture and appreciate the beauty. And trying to breathe. Trying. trying. trying. ;) Home will be there yes, but it just seems so far off at the moment even though I know time will go fast.
DeleteWhat a treat to get this update from you while you are out working in the field. The pictures are incredible. They just need to come with a sound track so we can hear all the insects buzzing in the background. Stay safe, and I look forward to the next update.
ReplyDeleteAh yes, you lived up here I remember! Actually I think the reason we didn't have bugs before those last set of pens was because the wind was horrendous -- so that would have been the background sound! I was getting so tired of being battered by cold wind day in and day out...and yet as soon as it died down and I had to pull my shirt over my head to stop the kamikaze bugs from getting in my eyes and mouth and ears, I was immediately singing a different tune and grateful for it!
Deletesuch amazing photos! Hang on. You are doing good work
ReplyDeleteThanks for the compliment on the photos Kathy! And for the encouragement...I'll make it through...always do! ;)
DeleteBeauty and peace. Always what your photos bring to me.
ReplyDeleteAnd were these the red huckleberries? :-)
I'm glad to hear that. I give you the mountains...you give me the sea. Seems to be a fair exchange. ;)
DeleteAnd NO...you know I wouldn't be singing a happy tune about red huckleberries!! Interestingly though...I've not seen V. parvifolium up here at all. We have the membranaceum (which is what I picked and what grows in NE OR and western OR/WA) and of course many blueberries of the Vaccinium species (V. myrtilloides is ripe now as well but that flavor is a bit bland compared to the huckleberries but the sugar may not have set yet). One day you'll get a jar of black huckleberry jam in the mail I promise...that way you can do your own direct comparison! ;)
Are you saving boo fiber?
ReplyDeleteNot really -- I have a few handfuls but the 'bou are not near as cooperative as the elk. At basecamp, they won't let us pet them hardly at all. Out in the woods...they are more reliant on us and then we can pet them. But generally speaking, during their major shedding periods, they are stand-off-ish (and the elk want us to pull that shedding hair off but the caribou apparently don't have that same desire). And while they do have a woolly undercoat, it's not near as nice as the elk. When the babies shed, it's the softest wool you'll ever see but it's also the shortest fiber I've ever seen (like maybe a cm) and the kids don't exactly like to be 'plucked' either. ;)
Deletetoo bad! Cuz you need more fiber :-)
Deleteyes well...'cool' fiber from 'my 'bou' would always be welcome no matter how much I have. ;) but since it's gonna take me until i'm old and wrinkled to clean/spin/knit what I have with the elk...perhaps it's a good thing!
Delete