Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

Thoughts on another year...

When I decided to schedule a book challenge update post in advance since I'd be out in the woods, I wondered what day to schedule it on.  And then it dawned on me.  *Today* is my birthday.  I've never done a birthday post.  For the past 15+ years I've almost always been in the field on my birthday...sometimes in cell phone range to hear birthday wishes from friends and family and sometimes not.  Thus, often, it just passes by without much thought.  This is in stark contrast to folks I know who celebrate the day (week.  month.) with gusto.  I've always been torn when I think of people who do that.  Part lacking in comprehension that someone is so comfortable with themselves as to want a day just about them.  But if I'm being honest, it's part jealousy as well. 

I'm not at the 'revolve' stage yet and likely never will be, but given the journey I'm on, I thought maybe a birthday post to celebrate another year in my life was in order.  

To somewhat steal a quote and idea from Kate...here's what 42 looks like.  And of course...Jingles is right there with me...this was shortly after her 22nd birthday (and she got some rain in her ear so didn't want to hold it up straight). 


As is typical in most photos of me...I'm not smiling even though I was right where I wanted to be -- back in the Blues of OR with 'my girls'.  I'm trying to hide certain parts behind Jingles so no one can tell just how much extra weight I put on over winter...because despite all the progress I'm making in other areas, I simply cannot seem to get a handle on eating my emotions.  I'm embarrassed by the weight but maybe even more embarrassed that I think I have to hide it.  I look exhausted...which I was.

And yet...this is me through and through.  Wearing the ratty hat that has been through at least 6 or 7 field seasons even though my friend has given me another to replace it.  The T-shirt from when I worked Raptor Rehab in college...a shirt that is darn near as old as Jingles and so threadbare it's a wonder that it hasn't fallen apart yet (as many others have from that era).  But really -- that's the best field shirt and I will wear it until it does literally fall apart.  The blue eyes that almost always come with an intensely serious stare.  But when I do smile/laugh, the smile shines through the eyes as well.  The dirty blonde hair that is just starting to show signs of grey.  The muscles visible in the arms from years and years of outdoor work...that even the extra weight can't cover.  The face that never has make-up and that was blessed with good skin.  The high cheekbones that some say are my most striking feature.  The pale skin that hasn't quite picked up a tan (or more likely, a burn) from being out in the sun all summer.

This is me.

At 42, in my professional life, I'm a world renown ungulate nutritional ecologist.  That was hard to write because it feels like bragging.  But it's true.  I hate going to professional scientific conferences because everybody knows who I am and the work I've done -- I don't get to be invisible in the corner.  And I'm 'only' in my early 40's.  I've accomplished more than most folks do their entire careers.  The simple truth though is most days I wish I could go back to that naive graduate student working under the radar...just enjoying the process of collecting and analyzing the data.  Blissfully ignorant of the political nature of this field.  Completely unaware of the lengths 'colleagues' will go to in order to strike out in what can only be professional jealousy.  As with everything, recognition comes with risk and then it doesn't feel like an accomplishment any more...it feels much more like a burden.  A change may be on the horizon this decade...

At 42, in my personal life...well, let's just say I continue to be a work in progress.  But at least I'm finally working at progress rather than sticking my head in the sand and letting it all pass by like I did the majority of my 30s.  For me, *that's* the major accomplishment and the one that I'm most proud of.  I've come a long way in just a couple years and I'm excited to see what this year brings.

So yes.  Happy Birthday to me.
_ _ _ _ _

Now Playing:  Long Way by Antje Duvekot 


.
  
 

18 comments:

  1. Happy birthday and all the best for a new year! I always love coming back to your blog, your beautiful photography, your dedication to your work and your honesty. It's inspirational. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday wishes Nicole -- and for the kind comments on my blog etc. On occasion I do wonder why I'm still writing on a blog...some days it just seems silly...but it doesn't take me very long to remember these connections are the reason why!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, Rachel and a brave post--I know it was hard for you to write. You are a wonderful person--smart and humble and grateful--and I'm thankful to be your friend (even if we are just blog friends). Happy happy birthday and may the years to come always find you where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim! Parts of this were hard to write...but putting a picture of myself up was even harder. I'm so grateful that I have such kind people that read and comment here.

      You know...I do have to go to the 'wet' side of the state now and again...

      Delete
  3. Gosh, you have me thinking of so many things... I'll just go with one thought, for now. I look at this photo of you and I think about your honest direct gaze. I admire it. It's a gaze I nailed when I was a little girl, before I became uncomfortable in front of the camera. I want it back. 42 looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I was so shy as a kid that I could never look at someone so directly -- even my closest friends. Actually that shy into my 30's. This gaze came much much later in life. I'm still shy and definitely hate being in front of a camera...but I'm finding that I can read people better if I actually look at them! Funny that...

      I also find that the gaze, because it's so serious and intense, can unnerve or intimidate folks. Now, I'm not saying that is good in all cases (though with technicians I think it is amusing)...but I do find it interesting (and telling) to watch how folks respond to that look. I encourage you to find yours again...

      Delete
  4. Oh Rachel. What a privilege it is to know you on this journey. Happy, happy birthday. I am busting at reading this, in so many ways - and just so glad for you, and so grateful for you my brave, true friend. I look so forward to watching you unfold in this decade <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel! For everything... So excited to see where we BOTH go in this decade! ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh thank you Rachel!!!!! Happy Birthday my wonderful friend. Here's to our forties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you would appreciate the photo Kate! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Rachel! Beautiful photography, always, and good writing. At my age I'm still a work in progress--I think it's a lifelong journey for some of us. Living deliberately, Thoreau called it. Paying attention to your life. You're living it in a way not many of us do. When I see where you work and live in your photography and when I see the works of art you have created, I think of the Navajo poem, "Walking in Beauty."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we are honest, I think it's a lifelong journey for all of us. Though until recently I wasn't prepared to face that particular statement. And thank you for this comment...it reminded me that despite the struggles of this life I've chosen for myself, I do 'walk in beauty'.

      Delete
  7. You know what I love about you Rachel? Your honesty, your willingness to always evaluate yourself and move toward where you want to be. I miss our walks and in-depth conversations. I miss your intense blue eyes and your laugh. Your journey the last few years has been amazing, and you are blossoming into yourself, your magnificent self. Happy Birthday and LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE BRIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Anne -- now you've made me blush! Thank you for the comment, for the birthday wishes, for your constant support, and for your shoulder and ear that I've leaned on lots the past few years. You are a great friend -- darn you for moving to that ugly valley! ;) Looking forward to seeing you again this fall!

      Delete
  8. I'm a few days late, but Happy Birthday Rachel! I think the picture of you and Jingles is perfect - you look like good friends, the kind who know each other well and enjoy each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristie! And yes...Jingles and I are good friends who have known each other for 18 years. As I said of one of our caribou, Jingles is truly a gentle soul...not an aggressive bone in her body. She and I...we have a pretty special bond.

      Delete
  9. Just listened to the song you have linked in this post. I've never heard this artist before... she is amazing! I love that song. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found her (and this amazing song) last year when I was listening to Pandora and have been in love ever since. Everybody that I introduce her to feels the same way...very glad I could introduce this artist to you as well!!

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.