I've started and stopped so many posts over the past few weeks. Things are challenging up here and I'm doing the best I can but frankly not handling the stress and disappointment, nor the almost suffocating desire to be done and home, very well. Each post I wrote was more negative and, in all honesty, whiny than the last. About a week ago, I finally was about to hit publish on one when instead, I accidentally deleted it. I took that as a sign that perhaps it should wait until I had something good to share.
And here it is...
2 days ago, our graduate student and I had to head up to the mountains to tear down some pens that we ended up not using and to collect some additional samples that we needed. When we were coming back down the mountain, we saw something dart in front of us. We could tell it was a cat but the quick glance couldn't tell us whether it was bobcat or lynx. The one animal, more than any other, that I wanted to see while working up here was the lynx -- and so far, that wish had not been granted. I figured that when I saw one, it would be a quick dart across a road or through an open patch. Enough of a visual to know it was a lynx but something very fleeting. Instead, as we pulled up to where it went off the road, 'she' (assuming based on size it was a she or a juvenile) had stopped and was content to watch us for a few minutes. In my excitement, I did not turn off the truck which means the vibration caused most of my pictures to be a touch blurry but that doesn't matter...I took some shots and then just stared at 'her'. After a few minutes of watching us, 'she' casually turned and slinked back into the woods. There aren't many animals that I don't like but I admit to a certain fascination with felids. The quiet grace in which they move...it's like none other in my opinion. I'm not sure I would want to work with them (I dearly love my herbivores), but I do love seeing them and watching them move.
Seeing 'her'...for a brief moment, I felt like I could make it the rest of the season...
My field season is almost over...we have just one more stint out should the weather hold and we don't get more snow (oh yes...it has snowed. and snowed. and snowed). I will still be up here until later in the month of October but those last few weeks are less stressful...keep me in your thoughts and wish for warm weather and an incident-free finish.
In the meantime...tell me, what have you been up to? I've gotten behind on reading your spaces as usual so I'd love an update!
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Canadian Railroad Trilogy by Gordon Lightfoot
.
What an amazing experience! Love the photographs! I'd be scared to death but you are much braver than me!
ReplyDeleteI thought of you the other day--I know you don't do 'deer' but here is the story--I was walking the dogs and we passed two deer standing in a yard (that happens once a week or so--the deer stand still and the dogs are confused so generally everything is peaceful and serene). We walked by the deer and they crossed the road about 50 feet behind us (yes we were on a road). The dogs turned to look (they just can't figure out deer) and then the second deer stops the little prancy dance across the road and turns and very purposefully trots toward us. I hesitate to say 'charging' but the deer was very determined to come up to us.
Um.
The dogs start going nuts--I start yelling 'no' (which works on advancing dogs but on deer--not so much) and I finally started waving my arm around (the other arm holding leashes) and it stopped and turned around--and then rethought and started moving toward us again. I gave the universal 'halt' sign (which apparently deer DO understand) and it turned around and went on its merry way.
I immediately thought of you and wondered if you could explain this very odd behavior--although I came home and saw a news report on aggressive deer in Ashland because of drought and mating season so there you go.
Anyway--I hope things end well for you all up there and that you don't get much more snow (send it down here!)!
Well, it wasn't a cougar! Lynx aren't so frightening...and I had my truck close by!
DeleteMy first comment to your story is 'I don't do deer'? The don't have my heart like elk, but I've done quite a bit of work on them as well. My second comment is that the only time I've seen this behavior, even in urban deer, is either 1) in the spring when she is defending her fawns or 2) during the rut in fall when deer get just a little bit crazier than they typically are! It was a bit early for the run when you posted this but that's my best guess!
So jealous about your lynx sighting!! Glad you wandered back this way.
ReplyDeleteI figured you would be!
DeleteWorth the wait! She's beautiful! And looking right at you. Lately we are thinking about leaving the city. The noise and buzz and inability to get a night of good sleep is getting to us. We'll see what's next...
ReplyDeleteYes, she was! It may be a once in a lifetime encounter but I'll take it!
DeleteI'm curious to hear whether you did end up leaving the city or if you are still working towards it. I feel claustrophobic in cities and can't spend more than a day or two...as crazy as it sounds, I feel like I'm breathing someone else's air!
GREAT pictures. I saw a linx ONCE a very long time ago, I was alone driving on a forest road near where I now live. It ran across the road and disappeared. How wonderful that 'she' stopped to get a good look at you, and you her. I just got home from an amazing journey across the North Atlantic. I hope to put together a slide show to share. Keeping you in my thoughts..... no snow here yet, but fall is definitely in the air. We have two young deer hanging out in the yard who don't seem to be very fearful. HUGS
ReplyDeleteI'm not surprised you've had a similar pleasure! Although I am surprised it was in Oregon rather than Alaska...that must have been awhile ago because I didn't realize we had many if any lynx left in the state?
DeleteWhat a beautiful creature. Your fieldwork sounds so compelling - somehow both really challenging and so fascinating, all set against this backdrop of a completely different world!
ReplyDeleteAm getting the urge to go exploring again.... but work... life... all kinds of responsibilities...
She was...so very beautiful! My fieldwork are all those things...it never gets boring, I will say that for it!
DeleteI need to visit your space again now that I'm back online...I hope to read that you've been able to carve out some time to explore!
I'm behind with my blog reading too. I was in Ireland for most of the month of September, and it has taken me a few weeks to get back into a routine of sorts. I'm sorry to hear your field season has been so stressful. We are now to the final week or so of October, so hopefully by now you are finished and heading back to your home.
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures of the lynx! It was probably just as well you didn't turn the truck off. The sudden change in the noise level might have had it running away before you were able to snap a few shots.
Perpetually behind...both of us!
DeleteYou are right that turning the truck off may have startled it...honestly the pictures were just a bonus. I was just in awe seeing the animal!
Hopefully I'll get to your space again soon...I've missed seeing your adventures!
She's amazing! What a wonderful encounter.
ReplyDelete100% agree. On both statements!
Delete