Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Day: 11

Sunday

 
Often they run away when we show up for a visit with the girls...but today I managed to get a shot or two before they moved off. 

Monday

The only good thing about this trip was a visit to see the kid...extra special since my mom was visiting as well.  I never thought hearing someone call me 'achel' would bring so much joy.  

Tuesday

We sat up late last night talking about tough topics.  I feel like all I am doing is criticizing her lately but the stakes are too high not to.  Pouring rain, unresolved issues, and not enough sleep made for a very long day. I don't even remember the drive back home.

Wednesday

While I was gone, he decided to try and build more fence to keep the little buggers out.  It obviously didn't work. 

Thursday


When you have a field season looming, the panic begins to take hold right about the time signs of spring start popping up.  I'm right on schedule this year.

Friday  

The crocuses have lasted longer than normal this year.  Often a night or two after they bloom, it freezes and they are just too delicate to withstand it.  Snow is predicted over the weekend though.
 
Saturday

A few days later than the actual date but our tradition held on.  Make no mistake about it...I make a mean huckleberry pie. 
_ _ _ _ _

Now playing:  Landslide by Fleetwood Mac


.

12 comments:

  1. I love the tantalizing little hints of spring! We went to the arboretum this afternoon (our reward for a morning of house hunting) and it was wonderful to see a few bulbs sending up green shoots. Back in the city we're still firmly in the grip of winter.

    Tough talks can be especially difficult with parents. I'm sending big virtual hugs your way!

    That "achel" is fantastic! That must have been such a joy to hear. Can he say his own name yet? The transition from baby to small person at this age is a wonderful thing to watch.

    [And I love the email forwarding - thank you!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad that the email forwarding worked!

      Wait...you guys are moving to a house? That's great!!!

      The tough talk was actually not with my mom but rather with the graduate student. I would rather it have been with my mom...I think she is far more reasonable and open to suggestion!

      I don't actually know if Julian can say his own name yet...I haven't heard it. He does call one dad (my brother) 'daddy' and one dad 'pappy' which is cute. And he has 'nana' down pat. And he can say some numbers and some animals (he learned hippo while I was there which was cute). But what kills me is that after I left he kept asking for 'achel'. Mom thinks he just likes saying the word but he does point to my picture by name. So who knows. Next time I see him will likely be December so he'll be a little chatter box by then.

      Delete
  2. Talking babies, oh so scrumptious!!!!

    I'm imagining that the pie is for my birthday dinner tonight, you don't mind sharing, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you had a tough week. Between a difficult late night discussions and the stress of thinking about the upcoming field season, I would say a huckleberry pie was well-deserved even if it wasn't a special occasion. There is nothing better on the face of the planet than huckleberries. (Well, maybe chocolate.) The pie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...but tough weeks are sort of common place at this point in the year prior to a field season. It's just harder when it's tough cuz of dealings with people...I don't handle that very well. I'll take a logistically difficult week over that any day of the year!

      Wait a minute...I thought that butter chicken was the best thing on the face of the planet?? How about butter chicken with huckleberry pie for dessert? Now we're talking. Do you have a lot of huckleberries up where you live? I hear that your lingonberry may rival the huckleberry??

      Delete
  4. i had trouble getting past the beauty of the first three pictures to actually read the words in this post.
    but i finally tore my eyes away and read on... sorry to hear your week was rough. it doesn't seem possible that field season is right around the corner again!
    deep breaths and you will get through it.
    and swoon... nothing sweeter than being auntie 'achel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first picture is east side (where we live) and the next two pictures are west side where we do a lot of work. So very different (as you can tell) but both so beautiful in their own way.

      No, it doesn't seem possible that the field season is right around the corner again...I have that thought every single day! The first part of winter seemed to go at a normal pace but I swear Xmas was just last week.

      Delete
  5. I woke up in an odd mood today. It is too early to feel odd. It's nice to see your landscape, pie, and I love this song. Thanks, Rachel.

    I hope you are able to keep the discussions of tough topics at a minimum this week. They aren't any fun, but sometimes they need to happen.

    Take care, Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope odd was just odd and not bad. I'm glad to hear that my photos could at least maybe distract you a bit from your odd mood.

      Yes, I hope too that I can go a week without tough discussions. They wear me down like none other...

      Delete
  6. Hi! I miss you! I want a slice of that pie! I ope everything is going well for you right now. I know you're gearing up for another busy season. I miss you! (Did I say that already?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy reading your weekly post. It's such a great idea to document your daily acitivities.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.