It's definitely spring -- bringing with it unpredictable crazy weather.
This was taken the other day when the smoke from the Beatton Airport Road fire burn-offs was so dense it looked like fog. High fire danger from unusually warm and windy conditions.
And these were taken this morning...and it's still coming down strong (the top two pictures are the boys from the last post...growing fast (Dexter on top, Montney in the middle); the bottom picture is our male Milo who was born 2013).
The good news is that this weather will really help with the fires and with the fire danger. 2 weeks ago, our basecamp was in the evacuation order area for the Beatton fire and we were scrambling to figure out a place to take the caribou (and John had to fight the authorities since they almost made him leave the caribou). Luckily the 2 miles between us and the fire was predominantly agricultural fields and we got a weekend of rain and colder temperatures allowing the crews to get a handle on it before it reached where we were.
I know the caribou like the cold...and they have been suffering in the heat this spring, but I still think being born on a day like today has to be harsh! ;)
And since you haven't met our other new additions, here are Rae (top 2 photos) and Wyoming (bottom 2 photos). Both females.
.
I want to kiss all the baby noses!
ReplyDeleteYes, these little guys do bring that compulsion out (although they won't allow it except by mom)! And like you, I think the noses are really the cutest part!
DeleteI'm glad the weather has changed and is helping out with the forest fire situation, Rachel. Apparently El Nino is on its way out and La Nina could be arriving in its place. However, that change will take months so we are probably looking at another long, hot summer. I love the picture of your babies!
ReplyDeleteI'll believe a cooling trend only when I see it! Hopefully we'll keep getting some rain this spring...
DeleteHow could one not love pictures of the babies? ;)
OK, Wyoming is absolutely gorgeous!!!!
ReplyDeleteWe got some rain today. Not enough, but at least a bit of a soak. The grass is already dry and mostly brown.
Stay safe!
She is a cutie... Her momma has a roman nose which Wyoming does not. However, at certain angles the resemblance is certainly there! Hope you guys get some rain so southern BC doesn't turn into a smoke house like last year!
DeleteSuch a strong juxtaposition between danger and beauty. I'm assuming this becomes more likely the closer one lives to the natural world. I've just gotten back to the city after a little over 2 weeks up north and I'm not adjusting well at all. These times make me wonder if I should live in a more rural landscape. I know there are pros and cons in every living situation... I've been pondering town or country for what seems forever. Blah blah blah... Anyway... These photos, especially the last photo! Beauties. :)
ReplyDeleteYes -- although I didn't think of it that way.
DeleteI wondered if you had thought more about moving further away from the bright lights, big city. I wonder, for a writer, which is more inspirational? Knowing that depends on the writer of course. Me, I can't handle cities. I feel very claustrophobic when I visit my brother in Seattle -- like I'm breathing other people's air. When I come home after the field season, even my town of 12,000 feels way too big. Most of this summer I'll be alone for long periods of time (well, with the caribou for company) and I have no problem with that...it fits me.
And finally -- yes, these kids are pretty darn beautiful!
For me, both urban and rural inspire. I'm often writing about the place I'm missing. I hope you are doing well out there. Take care of yourself. xx
Delete