Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Book Challenge - Year 1 Completed



“When something is bothering me, I seek refuge. No need to travel far; a trip to the realm of literary memory will suffice. For where can one find more noble distraction, more entertaining company, more delightful enchantment than in literature?”
Muriel Barbery -- The Elegance of the Hedgehog

It took me a little over a week longer than my one year 'deadline' to finish the book challenge I started last May when I came into the field.  And I have to say I'm incredibly glad that I did it.  I had 2 goals:  read more in general and read more diversely (i.e., get out of my reading rut of 'no-brainer' commercial fiction only).  I ended up with 30 books for the 'year' which may not seem like a lot given what I used to read, but is far more than I've managed in a year for almost a decade.

“Loneliness: there is no organ that can take it all.” 
Nicole Krauss -- The History of Love 

I knew going in, which categories were going to be the hardest for me -- and they were some of the last ones that I finished (e.g., a play, a book you started but never finished).  But I was surprised to find how hard the 're-read' category was.  Like most, I have this list of all-time favorite books. They are the ones that I will always recommend to anyone that will listen and the ones whose copies I will never ever get rid of.  I have wanted for some time to go back and start re-reading them.  But you know....there are SO. MANY. BOOKS and so why take the time to re-read?  This challenge was the perfect opportunity.  And yet I kept looking at that square, picking up one of those books and the putting it back down again.  Was there another reason that I haven't gone back to these favorites?  Would a book that I loved in my 20s still affect me the same way now -- was it the age or the situation that made it a favorite such that reading it now, the magic would be gone?  Because of this fear, I decided to pick one that was a 'recent' favorite for this challenge.  And found that I enjoyed that book as much the second time as I did the first.  Perhaps more.  I'm still hesitant on the whole idea of re-reading but as you'll see below, I've added that square back in for this year...with the plan to re-read one that impacted me in my 20s. 

 "That I could bear the unbearable.  These realizations about my physical, material life couldn't help but spill over into the emotional and spiritual realm."
Cheryl Strayed -- Wild

Because of this challenge, I delved into new genres that I now want to explore even more.  Graphic novels is a great example.  The one I read did not have what I consider to be great art, but it had some pages of drawings that show very clearly how sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.  There is a panel showing just how difficult it can be for a person who suffers from depression to get out of bed and then to do more than just move to the couch.  To say that panel was powerful is an understatement.  The other category that I want to explore further are biographies and memoirs.  As you'll see, both of these squares show up again...

"You can stoop down and pick a fallen petal, crush it between your fingers, and you had there, in the hollow of your hand, the essence of a thousand scents, unbearable and sweet.  All from a curled and crumpled petal."
Daphne du Maurier -- Rebecca

One of the best things about this challenge though was that it got me back to 'literature'.   I certainly enjoy and read a lot of commercial fiction but it's startling to read just one page of a book like Rebecca or The God of Small Things and to remember what literature really is.  These are the books where even if nothing happens at all, at the end you feel deeply affected just because of the language.  The kind of book where at the end, you can't bear to pick up another for days because you know it will pale in comparison.

"...that attention came with expectations that -- like snow -- drifted and settled and crushed you with their weight."
Celeste Ng -- Everything I Never Told You

I think that the only thing that was negative about using a challenge like this to read is that I found myself going long stretches of time without reading anything because I 'wasn't in the mood' to read something that would work for the challenge.  This was particularly true toward the end.  

"The air was gray, sunless just before dawn, it was only light enough to take the darkness from her room."
Millen Brand -- The Outward Room

Below you can see 25 of my 30 finished reads and what categories they fell in for the challenge.  As usual, if you want any more detail on my thoughts, head to goodreads where I do write reviews for everything.  And also below you can see my new challenge that I started a few days ago. [Click photo to make it bigger].  I've added some squares that will be even more challenging for me (e.g., poetry), duplicated some that were particularly tough for me but I ended up enjoying (e.g., play, non-fiction), duplicated some that I want to explore even further (e.g., graphic novel, memoirs) , and added new ones (e.g., with the 100th birthday of a beloved author when I was a child, I thought it would be fun to re-read one of my favorite childhood books). 

"I might have formed human attachments, rather than spending my affection on the sky, the waves, the elephant seals, the mist, and the cold."
Abby Geni -- The Lightkeepers

For anyone that was playing along with me even in part, how far have you made it thus far?  What did you like/dislike about working off a set list of categories?  And tell me, what are your thoughts on re-reading books?  Who else is up for round 2?


"He seemed a part of the mute melancholy landscape, an incarnation of its frozen woe, with all that was warm and sentient in him fast bound below the surface; but there was nothing unfriendly in his silence.  I simply felt that he lived in a depth of moral isolation too remote for casual access, and I had the sense that his loneliness was not merely the result of his personal plight, tragic as I guessed that to be, but had in it, as Harmon Gow had hinted, the profound accumulated cold of many Starkfield winters."
Ediith Wharton -- Ethan Frome





10 comments:

  1. I love this post and have been waiting to comment because I want to pay more attention to it, but time is passing by...
    My reading still continues along in the romance/easy novels category, with a few literature novels thrown in every once in a while. I'm covering the gamut with romance - historical, contemporary, intrigue, etc. Always attracted to strong writers, strong voices, regardless of genre. For some reason I'm just enjoying the angst and sappy and happy of a good romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I see nothing wrong with your reading trends! I have to admit that while I love good 'literature' books and I'm glad this challenge brought me back to them, they are often so good because they are depressing. I finished up the challenge with 3 or 4 such books in a row and I almost didn't start the new one right away so I could get in some sappy happy books... I didn't, but when I read your comment, I may be regretting that decision. Oh well -- I can sneak in a happy, non-challenge book anyway!

      Delete
  2. My book choices are so emotional and in the moment I just don't know how I'd handle the challenge. I could make some fulfilling discoveries, but I might also rebel and then feel guilty for a year. At the moment, I'm really enjoying Joan Didion's book, Where I Was From. Next up is Louise Erdrich's, Books and Islands in Ojibwe Country. Both were found while browsing library stacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be that way -- choosing books emotionally. But the past decade or so, I've fallen into such a rut... I think one of the ways this book challenge is working for me is that not only is it pushing me to read more, but pushing me to read more diversely. The latter, though not driven by emotion, is allowing me to remember what good literature is. And so I think it's all leading me back to where I used to be...reading primarily for the emotional connection. You are already there and so I would imagine that a challenge like this would frustrate you and feel very restrictive.

      I'm curious to see how much I enjoy this second year and if I make it through without, as you say, rebelling. That said, my categories are not random...some represent books that I've been drawn to but have not yet given them the time We'll see.

      Wow - this is a long reply but I also wanted to say that now I see Joan Didion everywhere...watching a movie I've seen 15 times already, I finally took notice of the book being read in one scene -- authored by Didion! I've added a few of hers to my reading list.

      Delete
    2. One more thing I keep meaning to share...for some reason, every time I think back on The Outward Room, I think of the Dar Williams' song 'Mortal City'. Very dissimilar in content and yet I think the song and the book elicited similar emotions...

      Delete
    3. I just listened to the song. Wow. Moving. I can totally feel the connection to The Outward Room you are feeling. I'm glad I listened. Thank you. And I started another Didion... ;)

      Delete
    4. Oh. I just noticed I'd already told you about the Didion book up there. Oh well...

      Delete
    5. Okay... One more thing. I really want to know which movie you've watched 15 times. Care to share?

      Delete
    6. I love that you also saw the connection with that song. I can't quite put my finger on it...more a feeling than anything.

      Okay, I'll tell you the movie with the caveat that sappy romantic comedies are my weakness and they often are the ones I 'watch' over and over again (I quote that because I have them on while doing something else so it's not like I'm sitting absorbed in them that many times). This one...Stuck in Love (with Greg Kinnear and Jennifer Connelly). Don't judge. ;)

      Delete
    7. Absolutely no judgement. I've watched the remake of Sabrina with Kinnear several times. ;)

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.