It seems cliche for me to post on January 1 after yet another long blog hiatus. But in actuality, it's not the date that brought me back to this space, but the circumstance. I returned from the field in late October but had another autumn where I was only home for short stints at a time. The adjustments I go through returning from the field are hard enough when I have the time and space to move through them without feeling rushed. But it's particularly hard to get my footing in this 'other life'...one that is so very different from my field life...when I'm not actually spending more than 6 or 7 days of continuous time at home. This was my entire fall.
I just returned from more than 3 weeks away...2.5 of those for capture work, 1 to visit family back in WV...and am finally looking at a relatively long stretch of time home. During January and February, I have 3 or 4 short work trips but generally speaking, I can finally have some normalcy...some constancy...in my world (let's not discuss what happens after February!). Yesterday I was able to go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of groceries. Such a small simple act and yet one that I haven't actually done but once or twice in months. Last night, I made a beloved meal that we hadn't had for over a year. I was home, cooking good food, with candles lit for light everywhere but my kitchen and Cat Stevens blaring in the background...I felt so overwhelmingly grateful for that normalcy again.
This blog...whether it waxes and wanes repeatedly, is part of that normalcy I've been seeking but not able to grasp yet. I've started and stopped post after post...nothing ever getting published because I wasn't ready to commit again to the space. I think I'm ready to commit again for at least a few months.
And given that it is the first of the year, I think I'll start by introducing my 2016 word of the year. Last year I chose challenge. At times, this word pushed me beyond my comfort zones in ways that I really needed. At other times, thinking about this word caused me to stress and put pressure on myself that I just didn't need. I was able though, for the most part, to realize when 'challenge' was good and when I needed to step back away from it -- such a huge accomplishment in and of itself. So as with most of the words I choose each year, there is still the space and the need for challenge this year. Perhaps more about that in a future post...
This year however, I'm making my own rules and choosing a phrase:
Let It Go...
I'm not quite sure how this will present itself to me this year. But as of today, I expect it will be for a whole manner of things: material, physical, emotional.
Do you choose a word for the year? What about intentions? I'd love to hear either...
Happy 2016!
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens
.
Hi---it is great to hear from you--I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't read anything from you for a while. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteAND I just wrote my post about my word--it is Breathe. As I was looking for an image I found a great phrase--"Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on." And I love that too. And it reminds me of your phrase.
Letting it go is so hard--but so healthy--so if I can support you at all during this year's journey let me know!
I love that your word is Breathe!! And your phrase is completely perfect...for both of us!
DeleteThank you for offering your support -- I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. and know that the offer of support works both ways. Any time I can offer you a reminder to slow down and breathe, let me know!
Tomorrow on the blog!!
ReplyDeleteLove your choice. Love your voice. Love your candles and cooking.
Here's to 2016 and all it brings.
And I love your comments!
DeleteHappy New year and lovely to catch up with you again. Wishing you a year full of normalcy, contentment and fulfillment!
ReplyDeleteHi there Claire -- so good to hear from you! While I appreciate the wich of normalcy, that's a tall order for another couple years. Maybe instead just wish my sanity! ;)
DeleteThat sounds like a petty hectic schedule to keep up! I can imagine its a relief to be in one place and settled for a bit.
ReplyDeleteI think the thing about blogging when there are so many other work/home things that require out attention is that it just has to make room. I think there's nothing wrong with posting as and when it fits into life. Perhaps that's the healthier approach, I don't know.
Enjoy the normalcy!
It's hectic...and the sad thing is that hectic is my normalcy. I've got a couple more years at this pace and then everything will slow down. I have conflicted feelings about it but on the other hand, 17 years of living like this is long enough!
DeleteAnd, as it's been more than a month since my last post, I agree 100% with your second paragraph!