Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Book Bingo Challenge -- Update #1



A good start to the book challenge...although that doesn't surprise me.  In the summer, during field seasons, I always read more than in winter.  It's just something I do every night before going to bed. When I'm waiting for an animal to get up and feed, I always have a book or kindle tucked into the waistband at the back of my pants.  When I'm sitting with babies getting them used to my presence (which okay, is the coolest job ever if they are healthy!), I have a book or knitting with me.  At home, in winter, there are too many distractions...deadlines...internet...netflix...and so on.  I lose the habit of reading before bed.  So for me, the book challenge will become more of an active challenge in the fall.  However, when we actually take 'bou into the woods in a couple weeks, expect things to slow down a bit until fall (in the fall it's dark 12 hours a day which limits my working time -- thus I read a ton at that time!).

I've filled in 4 squares already (and am partway through a fifth) while reading books I want to read but also just happened to meet the challenge (and some fit many squares...I could have put The Goldfinch in either greater than 500 pages or something that 'everybody' has read...in the end, I don't start but not finish many books that I'm willing to actually pick up again...there is a reason I put them down...this was one that I've put down twice but knew I wanted to eventually finish it...so seemed fitting for that square).  As I go through this process, you'll be able to see the types of books I read in the field.  I am bone tired most of the time so they can't be 'deep' books.  I generally go for thrillers/mysteries or anything that just reaches out, grabs me, and pulls me in immediately. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to find certain squares remaining empty until winter while other squares, I'll end up reading 3 or 4 that fall into that category.  I've listed what I've read so far below, with my star rating (realizing of course that my rating is just that...mine...and you should take that with a grain of salt...and it seems like lately I am having trouble rating books).  I do full reviews on goodreads for most books and if you click on the title of the book below the photo of the jacket, you'll go straight to my review.  If you aren't on goodreads and thus can't access those pages, my question to you as a book-lover is 'why not?'!

An interesting aside and an unexpected gift from starting this challenge.  I chose to include the square 'something from a used book store' assuming this would be during the winter and come from our local used shop.  That said, I don't go to the shop much because the prices seem too high...$9-$12 for obviously used paperbacks that new cost $14-15...$4-5 for ones that normally cost $6-7.  In my mind, used bookstores should be bargains (a few bucks)...not offering books at prices I can get new on amazon.  But it's good to support local bookstores and so I included that square.  Instead, I remembered upon arriving up here in the far north, that Fort St John had a used bookstore that I've not visited yet.  It conveniently is located across the street from the laundromat so last time I washed clothes, I walked over.  It's like something out of a novel...the front room is full of books stacked everywhere and apparently grouped by 'what the store-owner thinks the subject is.  Which, when you haven't read the book you are asking about makes it quite hard to figure out which stack to even begin looking!  The back part of the store is filled with bongs, CD's and a bunch of other odds and ends.  The owner is German (I think) and is quite eccentric (Kristie, do you know the store I'm referring to - was it here when you lived here?).  I went in with the intention of looking for Franny and Zooey (which they didn't have) but when I found out that every book sold for $3, I started happily digging through the stacks and came back with 5 books -- which I felt was restrained given the circumstances. 2 I had heard of, 3 just seemed like good finds (this is what I love about used bookstores).  But $3/book??  It's like crazy expensive up here...you can expect things to cost about 1 to 2 times more than what they would in the states.  So a bookstore with an eccentric German owner selling books for $3...imagine my giddiness!  I'll be going in periodically over the summer because it seems that there is great turnover with new stuff coming in all the time.  I just hope I have enough room in my truck to carry them all back at the end of the summer (of if I get them read, I can trade them back in)! ;)

My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff -- 4 stars 


The Farm by Tom Rob Smith -- 3.5 or 4 stars

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt -- 3.5 stars
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin -- 3 stars
Okay -- that's me.  How about you?  For those of you joining in on the challenge, let me know what squares you've filled with what books...and if you are enjoying the challenge or finding it too restrictive.  For those of you not joining the challenge...tell me what you've been reading lately anyway!  I'm always up for good suggestions!
_ _ _ _ _

Now playing:  If I Had A Boat by Lyle Lovett


.


8 comments:

  1. So much goodness here!! I have two tiles done - Found in a Used Bookstore "Natural Born Charmer" by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Contemporary romance and she makes me laugh out loud. Recommended by a friend - JoJo Moyes "Me Before You". Bawled my freakin' eyes out, need to give my friend crap for that. It's her favourite book, though.
    Goodreads - just can't keep up and so didn't start. I could spend all day online, but I really try not to!
    Can't wait to continue this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Kate! So...I'll check out the SE Phillips one cuz 'laugh out loud' is welcome in my world! As for 'Me Before You'...it's funny you mention it. Last summer I found J Moyes and read 3 of her books in rapid succession. Guilty pleasure reads that were perfect for the field. The one you mention was the last I read in that stream...and my least favorite (not that I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't rate it as high as the others). I'm not sure if it was because I maybe read too many too quick or what...that title is, in general, her most popular. The one I enjoyed the most was 'The Last Letter From Your Lover'. While infidelity is not exactly a topic I 'enjoy', I thought the story was well done and engaging. So maybe try that one as well.

      Ah goodreads...I get you on that (and can you see my reviews if you aren't logged into goodreads??). I don't use it for the social aspect and while I do like to put in reviews, they are mostly for my own benefit and I don't always have the time or desire to do it. Mostly I use it as an organization tool for books I want to read. Before, I'd have scrap paper everywhere with book lists that I'd lose or forget about...goodreads puts it all in one place with very little time/effort which I love. I also do pay some attention to the opinions of folks whose reviews I follow...but I find ratings and opinions vary so much. I can completely enjoy an indulgent, guilty read, not consider it great literature, but still rank it a 4 because at the time I read it, it entertained me. Some people hate those types of books no matter how well written. So I find other ratings interesting, but don't let them guide me.

      Finally -- not knowing your tastes completely yet, I think I can safely recommend either the first or the last book from above to you...with you being a book lover (but not a snob!), I think elements of both would appeal to you.

      Delete
  2. I am not doing the Bingo challenge, I read too sporadically for that, but wanted to chime in with my lastest read. I just finished the 2nd in a 3-book 'Tender Ties' series by Jane Kirkpatrick called 'Every Fixed Star'. This is a historical novel about the life of Marie Dorian, a contemporary of Sacagawea, who was also a Native American who traveled with the Astor Expedition to Oregon. Because there are many memorials to Marie Dorian in NE Oregon and SE Washington I am finding it very interesting. The first of these memorials that I found was along the road between La Grande and North Powder, on the hill dropping down into North Powder, which commemorates where she gave birth to a daughter along the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been shocked if you had wanted to join in! ;) But thanks for contributing to the discussion about what you are reading...I hope you'll continue to do that! I have heard of this author from someone (I think because she is an Oregonian) but have never read her. This sounds like an interesting series...I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have filled in two squares so far. The Pillars of the Earth for "that book you started but never finished" and We Were Liars for "recommended in a BOTNS episode. Working on square three now. I'm reading The Rope Walk. This is highly motivating for me! And Yay for inexpensive used book stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Jane -- and so glad that you are having fun and it is motivating you to read (and that you are as addicted to that podcast as I am!). I have not ever read Pillars of the Earth but hear over and over again that this is his best book so maybe it needs to be added to the list (especially since I see you rated it so high!). I really enjoyed We Were Liars... And I saw The Rope Walk on your goodreads updates and thought it looked really interesting. Thanks for joining in and sharing your update!!

      Delete
  4. I love that song! I just finished another underwhelming book. Two in row. One fiction and one more of a memoir. Sigh... I've had better luck with poetry and movies lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hate the 'underwhelming' book feeling. Sometimes I am expecting it just given the genre I'm choosing to read. But other times, when a book has been so blown up (like the Gold Finch) and it underwhelms me, I feel a bit cheated. I think I'm currently reading one that I will love (a bit too early to tell though)...I hope you find that 'one' for you soon. Although poetry and movies make good substitutes in my opinion! i don't have access to the latter, so more dependent on the written word during field seasons...

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.