Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2015

And A Special Visit...









Saving the best for last...

Since meeting online back in 2007, Mel and I have met in real life 3 other times.  Her and her husband came out west to visit her brother a number of years ago and I traveled down to the Crater Lake area to hang out with them for a few days.  Then in 2010, John and I went back east for my cousin's wedding which ended up being just a few hours from where they live.  That trip, we only got to see Mel...Tad was busy with other things.  Then a couple years later, Mel flew up to my parents house when I went there for a visit.  We'd been talking lately that another visit was needed...and if they wanted to meet 'the girls', that they needed to get out to the west coast soon.  And so it was planned.

Scheduling ended up being a bit of a nightmare...thank goodness those two are flexible.  At the last minute, helicopter dates got shifted around and meetings got scheduled.  But we were able to spend 3 days together and we got to share some of the beauty of NE Oregon with Mel and Tad.  And of course, they got to meet 'the girls'.

The pictures are of a few of our outings...  The first day we took them down into what I consider to be some of the most beautiful and unique country I've seen...Hells Canyon.  It's the deepest gorge in the US.  Unfortunately, we were a little late for spring and it was already tinging quite brown and most of the wildflowers were gone...very dry and hot this year.  But still breathtaking (and we happened upon a little rattler which was kind of cool!).  The second day, Mel gave me a yoga session and then we went up to see 'the girls'.  Jingles, who Mel knows by name and now by face, was glad to provide a photo opportunity as long as she got proper pettings.  On our last day together, I got another yoga session and we went out on a hike up Bear Creek where I found out that Mel is a 'plant-sniffer' too!  Here, her and Tad are smelling the butterscotch scent that was apparent on a burned portion of a Ponderosa Pine.

There was great conversation, lots of good food and drink, music swapping, and just good company.  I'm so grateful that they were willing to come out to our neck of the woods to visit.  I needed that this spring and their visit lifted me out of a 6 week funk I'd been dwelling in...that's the power of friendship!

Next time, it'll be my turn to head east...or maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle -- lots of amazing country to explore between our houses! ;)

How many of you have met an online friend?

Back next week with my first book bingo challenge update!
_ _ _ _ _

Now playing: Ends of the Earth by Lord Huron


.

8 comments:

  1. I love this. So special.
    I have met one blog commenter in person, and she lives on the island. I have hopes though... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Oh, it will happen...it may not be until my field seasons start to lessen, but it will happen! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful. I'd love to sniff a tree with you some day! I have met a few bloggers IRL, mostly at Sock Summit 2011. Two there, as i recall. I think that is all, but I hope to meet several friends some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there stranger...as I recall, there was a time you considered moving to OR...that would have made it a bit easier to sniff trees together! ;) however -- Hawaii is certainly on our list to return to at some point in the future so I'll be looking you up when that happens!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful meet-up, Rachel. I'm sure they enjoyed their time with you, and I agree about Hells Canyon. It is spectacular! I'm not so sure about that rattler though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John and I used to go into the canyon almost every year when we first got together. Then life gets busy and well, you know. The added bonus of Mel and Tad coming out was it gave us a perfect excuse to get back down there. Definitely one of our favorite places and it's pretty easy to see why.

      Yeah -- I heard the rattler before I saw it and 'he' wasn't too big...maybe a couple feet long. So I was okay with it. Now, if I had stepped on it... ;)

      Delete
  4. Aw Rachel! We had the best time too! Thanks so much for having us and sharing your free time. :) It was a genuine gift. We look forward to coming back and to you guys coming to the east coast again! I'll also make sure I am around this time and not "...busy with other things." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you were 'busy with other things' weren't you? I'm not even considering the other alternative! ;)

      Ah -- see, your visit forced me to make free time -- thank you for that. And yes, I'm already looking forward to future visits whether they are east, west, or in between!

      BTW -- I don't seem to have your email address I don't think...shoot it to me when you get a chance at rachieraeATgmailDOTcom. i'm getting closer to getting pictures into a dropbox folder for you and mel (and there will be even more rattler pictures for you to show your mom!).

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.