Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Fiber...

As usual, in the weeks leading up to the field season, I get into that mode where I'm too stressed to knit.  Funny that since normally knitting is a stress reliever for me.  But there is some threshold...once I tip over that level, I just have a hard time sitting down and knitting.

That said, I did manage to get in some fiber play the months before I left.

I spun up 4 ounces of this lovely 2-ply merino/silk blend that ended up as 582 yards of light fingering weight (which seems to be the only thing I know how to spin!).  I'm finding that I'm struggling a bit with the silk aspect...but have been told that it may just not be combined well enough and that's my problem.  Regardless, I'm pretty much in love with this skein and brought it with me into the field to knit up this summer.  Not sure the pattern yet, but I have a guess...  I am forever fascinated by how fiber spins up...sometimes completely expected and sometimes so very different!




I also almost managed to get all 8 ounces of this merino/silk blend spun up as well but in the end needed just a few more hours that I didn't have.  It will be waiting for me this fall -- and I'll be anxious to get it finished up...I love how it looks and will have a whole 8 ounces to play with -- wondering if I may be able to pull a light tank top out of it...time will tell! 


As for knitting...I managed to knit another pair of felted clogs for my mom for her birthday.  This time trying the full suede sole hoping that it makes them wear a bit longer.



And when I heard that Melissa was pregnant again, I had to knit up something quick for her new little one before I left (because I wasn't going to be around when he/she was born!). Melissa is forever knitting for others and it just seemed like she needed a little bit coming back her way.   A very cute dishcloth...but of course (btw -- the picture isn't the greatest...the baby feet show up more distinctly in real life).  And what I think may be my new 'go to' toy for babies...it's still fiddly but not as much as a full animal and I love that it rattles.  I don't know babies, but I have an idea they enjoy those (or maybe I'm confusing them with cats...who knows!).  And since it was Melissa who introduced me to the color combo of blue and orange, it seemed fitting to use those colors!  (and never fear, included in the package were a couple things for mom as well...a home-made beeswax candle with a gentle scent, and some of my favorite citrus salt scrub!).




Finally -- I let my KAL sweater slide and as expected, Rue is showing me up...progressing faster on her fingering weight sweater than I am on my worsted weight one!  But I brought it with me and picked it back up this week.  Nothing exciting to share so no accompanying photo but I have one plus sleeves completed (this pattern has you knit the sleeves first which makes me happy knowing those will be out of the way...I have a problem with sleeves!).

I think that's it...I have about 8 projects packed for this summer which is just a little optimistic, but one can't run out of yarn/projects while in the field.  There is a yarn store up here but they only sell acrylic and getting things shipped is quite difficult.

So tell me, what are you knitting/creating?
_ _ _ _ _

Now playing: Chattahoochee by Alan Jackson

.
.

6 comments:

  1. How much space do I have??? I'm working on some knit curtains for my new front door with a window in it. I'm still thinking about the Elizabeth Zimmerman steeked cardigan... I'm ready to shape the neck and i'm intimidated by having no pattern to follow. I'm spinning some Newhue silk/merino/bamboo fiber. I finally got my loom warped and am weaving some 100% tencil fabric which will become the new cover for an old bench I bought (it will become my weaving bench). Oh, and I am starting, slowly, to draw. Beginning to get into a rhythm. I'll be excited to see your fiber endeavors over the summer. It's ALMOST JUNE... how did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can take all the space you want! It pleases me too hear that you have enough crafty endeavors happening that you need to ask that question!! They all sound like great projects that are challenging you in some way or another (which is good!). So excited that you are slowly starting to draw!!! I can't wait to see what progress you've made with that (send me some inspirational pictures now and again when you do something you like please!). I brought out that watercolor book, some watercolor paper, some paint (though not high quality for obvious reasons) and a small sketchbook with my pencils. So far I haven't done any of that, but last night I cracked open the watercolor book and started reading it. I wavered between inspired/excited and thinking 'what the hell was I thinking that i could do that out here!'. So we'll see where/if I go with that!

      And yes...it's almost June. I'm struggling a bit with that myself! :)

      Delete
  2. Love your knitting and fibre creations, so beautiful each one!
    I'm working on a snake for little E, our friends' son. I made Bush Boy one when he was 3. They're 5ft long and quite fabulous. Also socks of course, and replenishing the dishcloth stash for gift giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay -- I searched on your Ravelry projects and couldn't find the 5 foot snake pattern/project. Please direct, because that does sound fabulous and I must see! Shoot...you just reminded me that I was going to bring some cotton up here to get some gift giving dishcloths out of the way. oh well...although, can probably buy that at walmart if I get desperate!

      Delete
  3. your spinning is lovely! i am thinking more and more that i should get a wheel... but i guess i should have this baby first and then see about the wheel... :)

    i can't tell you enough how sweet your package was! i love the elephant rattle!! (and yes, both babies and cats love rattles! i will promise to do my best to keep the latter away from the elephant so the former can enjoy it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say that I would not spin near as much or as well if I only spun with a spindle...I LOVE the wheel. Sounds like you can get one pretty reasonably priced on craig's list so maybe once your life settles again, you should consider it!

      Glad you enjoyed the package...and relieved to know that babies are much like cats! ;) Although I did have to read your sentence a second time to make sure you were saving the rattle for the little one, not the cat. ;)

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.