Sunday, March 29, 2015
Fiber to FO: Antarktis
I have to say that I am so pleased with this finished knit. Obviously, as I mentioned previously, I feel sort of like a superhero knitting yarn that I have spun from my own two hands. But I also just love the yarn (light fingering merino/bamboo mix), the pattern (very simple pattern but still so pretty when knit up), and the mix of the two. This handspun did stripe as I thought it would but the way this pattern is knit up, the stripes go diagonal rather than horizontal or vertical like many other shawl/cowl patterns. This, plus the asymmetry of the shawl is very pleasing to my eye... The resulting knit is light, soft, and may be one of my favorite accessory knits I've knit in a long time. Right after I pulled the pins from the blocking board, I immediately wrapped this knit around my neck and I didn't want to take it off. Most of the time when I knit a shawl, I hold it lovingly but hardly ever wear it. This one will be worn!
I spun up 2 more ounces of fiber this week that I am loving. I've been having some difficulties spinning this winter because the wheel seems a bit sluggish. I took it to the Spinning Master this week (a friend), and we ascertained that I had not oiled my wheel since I got it. The look she gave me damn near withered me. Upon hearing that she applies oil every time she spins, I now realize why I got that look. She quickly remedied the situation and oh my gosh...what a difference that makes! Spinning is easiest and back to being thoroughly enjoyable! And yes, a little bottle of oil is on the way to me via mail.
Been a long week trying to finish up interviews for hiring summer technicians. If you know anything about me, you'll know that I hate this part of my job. Add in a cold that just. won't. go. away and it's been a trying week. I did hear that my (our!) favorite technician from last year decided to come back which made my week. Technician-wise, he may not be the best, but he's a great guy and so very easy to get along with which is key in these positions. I just offered position #2 and trying to decide on the other 2 positions, hopefully to be offered tomorrow. Let's hope they all accept!
Otherwise, a very productive work week which feels good. Ended it with probably our last 'winter comfort meal' of the season...a favorite recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I don't make it very much but it is excellent (take a look at the ingredient list to see why I don't make it very often!). I paired it with this cobbler that Joy the Baker just posted about. It was good but I jumped the gun just a bit on the strawberries...they weren't quite ripe enough for this to be stellar. I'll be making it again a bit later into strawberry season and will use more strawberries than called for since this was a bit high on the dough to strawberry ratio.
How was your week? What knit are you working on? Are you holding on to winter comfort food, taking advantage of spring fruits and vegetables, or mixing the two like me?
- - - - -
Now playing: Calling All Angels by Jane Silberry and JD Lang
.
14 comments:
I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Knitting and yummy food - good week!! Isn't it funny how little things like oil on a wheel can trip us up? I know I've had those moments of simple lightbulbs. Good luck with the hiring!
ReplyDeleteAnd the shawl - gorgeous.
Now, i barely remember the week but anything with knitting and good food is a good week! Yeah, I have many of those little things that trip me up! ;) Hiring was complete and all I offered to accepted so we'll see how it turns out this summer!
DeleteI have that pattern on my 'to knit' list and it has moved up to the top!
ReplyDeleteGlad to be of service! It's a great pattern!
DeleteHi, Rachel. Beautiful craftsmanship, as always. I'm so tired and hungry right now. I wish I were at home in my pajamas with that Smitten Kitchen galette... ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks Denise! I hope you were able to head home shortly after posting this comment...maybe not to a Smitten Kitchen galette but to something equally satisfying!
DeleteThe shawl/scarf is LOVELY, as I knew it would be. Good job; wear it well. I'm over the winter comfort food. Traveling in Utah and now Arizona, the weather has been HOT. After spending 3 nights dry-camping and hiking in red-rock canyons, tonight we are in a hotel with hot showers, laundry, internet and good food. Life is good!
ReplyDeleteWe need to catch up before i head out. I don't even really know how your big road trip went!
DeleteI've been eyeing that pattern for awhile. But I already have so many shawls in my library! Yours is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIf you find yourself in need of a shawl, but one that isn't complicated...remember this pattern!
DeleteRachel, that shawl is amazing! Well done you for spinning the yarn for it. And thanks for the link to the strawberry and dumpling skillet cake. I might try to make a gluten-free version. Sorry this comment is a bit delayed. I've had my oldest daughter here visiting for a couple weeks and am behind in my blog reading.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kristie! Ah, never apologize for delays...as you can see, I haven't been around for awhile so my commenting is non-existent. Hopefully can catch up soon...
Deletebeautiful shawl my friend, knitting with yarn you spun *is* a superpower! (or at least i'm in agreement that it should be!)
ReplyDeletei've been working on getting a baby blanket together - a woman in our knitnight group is having a baby and we all knit up squares and i'm seaming them up. on the border, so it's the homestretch now!
hope you're having a good week!
Thanks Melissa. I knew you'd understand the superpower element! ;) Hope the baby blanket seaming went smoothly!!
Delete