Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Another Photo Essay

but of a different sort.  Maybe by next weekend I'll have my feet back under me and can post more words. 

In the meantime...

This weekend my nephew Ethan turned 1!  I took a quick trip over to Seattle to celebrate...too busy this time of year to stay very long, but I enjoyed the time I did have with my brother, his partner, the boys, and my folks. 

I have to admit that though I shy completely away from taking photos of people (and thus being a portrait or wedding photographer would never happen for me!), I really do love trying to take decent shots of my nephews.  Nobody else in my family has a normal camera so all the photos taken of them are iphone or ipad pictures.  Which, don't get me wrong, are pretty good given the medium...but I'm glad I get to chip in with some DSLR shots as well every now and then -- and it seems my family is pretty appreciative of these photos.  Julian is getting harder and harder to take pictures of because he is fascinated by my camera...I have to be stealthy (or he has to be distracted) or I only get very close-up shots of him that are blurry!

Anyway...back next weekend with more I hope. 

This is my favorite picture of the bunch.  It's my brother and Ethan after the party.  What I love about it is not actually the photo of Ethan, but the photo of my brother.  He's relaxed and it's the smile I saw growing up.  I smile every time I look at this photo.

Birthday boy with cake smeared everywhere happily holding onto a balloon.

I like this one in black and white...concentration on cake but maybe not as 'gross' since you can't see all the colors of the cake smeared everywhere! ;)

Another favorite for some reason...a boy and his balloon.

Happy standing man!

Ethan is such a happy little kid...and so unflappable.  He's either smiling/laughing or looks like this...calm, contemplating (I think watching big brother).

Another favorite...not sure why, but I just love this composition.  Even though Jake photo-bombed the picture.

Okay, so there was some discussion on whether it was legal anymore to release balloons outside in the city and we never came up with an answer.  But I think the joy on Julian's face was worth it.
_ _ _ _ _

6 comments:

  1. Very nice set of photos. Ethan is growing up FAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yes he is growing up fast. Both are!

      Delete
  2. Aw, look at the those lovely boys!! Especially poignant for me, as mine is turning 15 this week...
    Great photos, a slice of life and shows me that you found some time to relax and connect with family too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pull me in with supermodel Chika pictures, I pull you in with cutie nephews!

      It was a short trip but yes, very nice to relax and connect with my family. probably the last time i get to see them before fall so worth the effort to get over there!

      Delete
  3. oh ethan is so adorable! these are wonderful photos, thank you for sharing them.
    (the first cake one was my favorite until i saw the one with the dog. you're right - it's something about the composition... jake is a handsome fella too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Melissa! yeah, that one with Jake just stands out I think! Partly because it's a bit monochromatic except for that pretty blue balloon! jake is a handsome fella but a bit neurotic! on the other side, not included in the picture, was Nikki, the black lab who is also a beauty but really laid back. She's a 80 pound lap dog!!

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.