...is the best I can do. But I didn't want to go 2 weeks in a row without posting...it's easy to get into a habit of not posting!
I've been on an elk capture at Mount St. Helens...it's a long one. Came early this past week and will be here likely most of the next week. But since this is a state-operated capture, we had the weekend off (and frankly, I think we all needed it). So instead of driving all the way home (~5.5 hours) for a day and a half just to turn right around and come back, I took the opportunity to visit my good friend who recently moved to Hood River, OR. Not only was it a great time with a friend that I so desperately needed, it was a weekend off which I also needed. We ate good food, had great conversations, did some hiking, some driving, some picture-taking, and just had a good time relaxing. Hood River is a beautiful area... See for yourself.
 |
| the beautiful Mt. Hood in all her glory. |
 |
| Photographers disturbing the geese! |
 |
| We just missed the light on this one but I think you get the idea.... |
 |
| Random peacock sightings! This cracked me up. |
 |
| An awesome crooked door in Friend, OR |
 |
| What colors... |
 |
| Quite possibly my favorite picture of the bunch. |
 |
| Trying to hide in the blackberry...and did a damn good job of it! |
 |
| Who doesn't love cattails? |
 |
| Ms Whitey -- waiting patiently for us to stop taking pictures so she could pop over the fence and cross the road to be with her mates. |
 |
| Friend, Oregon. |
Back next weekend...will catch up with you and your spaces then.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Hallelujah; Jeff Buckley's version
.
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, thanks for sharing. And what is the story with the peacock? I worry he is cold.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kim -- not hard to take beautiful photos in that valley!
DeleteYeah, I have no idea the story of the peacock. He had 3 females he was herding around so he wasn't lonely. And of course...it's not exactly cold out here in the west this winter so I think he's probably fine!
Your photos came out GREAT! Thanks for a wonderful weekend.
ReplyDeleteThanks Anne! It was a great weekend!
DeleteRachel, I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a weekend off! Your pictures are stunning!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jane! I did have second thoughts about taking the whole weekend off and crazily considered going ahead and driving home so I could get some work done. But I'm glad that I discarded that idea almost immediately!
DeleteIt sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with your friend. All of your pictures are amazing, but I especially like the horse and bird photos. Have a great week, Rachel!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kristie! Yup, those are some of my favorites too...the bird photo is cropped down and I should have posted the uncropped version...it shows just how incredible the camouflage skills were!
DeleteDo you know what type of bird is hiding in the blackberry? So beautiful... It seems Hood River treated you well. Good to know! :)
ReplyDeleteMy guess is the same as Anne's...house finch. But not completely sure.
DeleteI still wish Anne hadn't moved away but it's not hard to see what drew her to that valley... The Blues of NE Oregon still hold my heart, but I definitely won't have any problems visiting her from time to time!
I believe the bird is a House Finch. It could be up for debate.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing your life in photos. They tell a story off all of their own.
ReplyDeleteYes, I suppose they do... I think it's pretty interesting to see what folks choose to photograph. This series shouldn't have anything that would surprise you!
DeleteSo glad you were able to enjoy a weekend off.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are gorgeous... I would probably have to agree with you about the horse one!
-Melissa
Thanks Melissa -- the only thing I don't like about the horse one is the white in the window sort of competes for the blaze. I do have one with the head facing the other way... One of those likely will get blown up and framed actually...there's just something about the composition and colors. Hats off to Anne for seeing this one...I saw the barn but missed the horse at first!
Delete