Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

Welcoming the challenge...

Snowy trees from the helicopter...

I didn't quite capture the beauty of these trees with the sun behind them (and the color is really off) but still...pretty.

Looking out to the Seven Devils at sunset.

The sky from this direction looked like a painting.  add in the snowy landscape and the moon and just wow.

Waiting for this elk to lay down from the drug...helicopter in the background.  Our 'easiest' walk...it was flat and short but still knee-high snow!  This is in the South Fork of the Clearwater.

Just the beauty of fresh snow.

Waiting for the helicopter after a long, slickery walk uphill.  I'm not actually mad but I am tired!  This is in the South Fork of the Clearwater country.  That coat, by the way, is 15 years old and with the help of duck tape is still going strong.  Bought for $99 from STP and worth every single penny!

These girls ran above us while we were working another animal.  This is the Craig Mountain herd in Idaho...near Hells Canyon.

Right above the confluence of the Snake River and the Salmon River...I was standing in Idaho...across the river is Oregon.  This is at the mouth of Hells Canyon and is some of the prettiest country in my opinion.

The Snake River.  I like this shot because much of this country burned this summer...the bright green in the foreground burned and some of the native bunch grasses (and some non-native species as well) are greening up....the light brown in the background is more typical for this time of year. 


A capture I was supposed to be doing before Christmas got delayed and so John and I spent the end of 2014 and the start of 2015 on an elk capture in 3 different areas of the Clearwater Region of Idaho.  I must admit that on NYE, I was a tad crabby...it was freezing (3 degrees F or -16C to you Canadians) and I just wasn't in the mood to be working in the most physically demanding country we've worked in, flying around in a helicopter with no doors, trudging through knee-high snow, and maneuvering impossibly steep slopes with a pack on my back and just boots on my feet...often falling or sliding more than walking (sometimes the best approach is just to sit and slide hoping you'll find something to stop you before the bottom!).  I work all the time.  But there are 3 days when I refuse to work...Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New Years day.  I had no choice this year and I let feelings of self-pity overwhelm me for a day or two.

Then, using some of the tools I've learned, I got out of my head, looked around at where I was at and instead of focusing on how physically demanding it was, instead saw the beauty in it.  I quit feeling sorry for myself and instead, started to make some plans for 2015.  And I also started to think about a word for this year.  I had a few rolling around in my head.  'Connection' kept coming up over and over again...connection with myself and my body, connection with friends and family...but I just wasn't sure.   


Have you seen this quote?

'A goal without a plan is just a dream'.

I've seen these words over and over again the past few weeks and they have stayed with me as I worked through what I wanted to accomplish in 2015.  I'm not going to list my goals here.  But they relate to the typical things...creativity, movement, mindful eating, work etc.   The difference this year is that instead of just listing a goal, I've made a 'manageable' plan for achieving those goals (one always has to 'quote' manageable doesn't one? or is that just me?).

And the theme that came up over and over again as I was working through these plans was;

 'CHALLENGE'

I have a fear of failure to some degree...which I'm sure we all have.  And I'm realizing that outside of work, I sometimes don't challenge myself enough (I don't intentionally challenge myself in work...it does that all on its own!)...or push myself enough...because of that fear of failure.  This is not just about learning or trying something new...or about pushing myself physically...it's also about the challenge that comes with self-evaluation and the challenge when on a journey of emotional growth.  Not challenging myself though, can and often does lead to a disappointment in myself which leads to...  well, let's just say it is one of those vicious circles.   I'm finally recognizing that needs to change.  As such, outside of making plans, I have also already committed (this is key -- committed rather than just thinking about it) myself to various activities that will challenge me.  But with the mantra 'shoot for progress, not perfection'.  This last part...it's so very important.  A couple years ago...hell, a year ago...I would not have been able to handle this word.  It would have tied me in knots just thinking about it because I simply didn't want to aim below 'perfection'...or at least some idea of that.  Now though, I think I'm ready. But maybe more importantly, if I'm not, I think I'll realize it and adjust.

So in 2015, I'm going to challenge myself.  And hopefully, if all goes according to plan, I will bring you along on that journey. ;)

Do you have a word or a plan for 2015?  I'd love to hear about it.

_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: If It Be Your Will by Leonard Cohen


.



13 comments:

  1. first of all - oh my goodness are these photos ever gorgeous! i know you had to work hard to get them, but man, they're completely stunning!
    i think you should feel proud of how you handled working over new year's day. it's perfectly normal to have the initial reaction you did, but where you deviated from the norm was recognizing your behavior pattern and doing something about it. that, my friend, is something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel proud...which is something that I wouldn't have been able to admit to a year ago. And this week, I've managed to stave off some major panic attacks...all pointing to some huge progress which is good!

      Thanks for the compliment on the photos...Idaho in general is an amazingly beautiful state but that country we are working in is particularly so. Very rugged and harsh, but to me, that's what makes it beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for including a picture of you - it seems so right and fitting a picture. The one that speaks to me the most is the Seven Devils at sunset - those are my kind of colours. Stunning.
    I like your word. Last year I picked a word I wasn't ready for, so it is important to choose a word that resonates. This year I chose Focus. Let's enjoy the journey.
    Happy New Year to you and John. Here's looking to 2015 and the experiences it will bring. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to include that picture (especially with the scowl and helmet which really is not flattering!)...but I knew you'd like that. I've noticed you've been posting more pictures of yourself on your blog as well which I love. If you can do it and all that... ;)

      It's good that you recognized the word was too much last year...I've mentioned it already, but I think your word for 2015 is a great one!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! I get tired just reading about your work, you have every right to feel grumpy, and good on your for pulling yourself out of it. You were in spectacular country. I don't normally choose a word, nor make a resolution for the New Year, but as I was readying this the word 'Adventure' popped into my head. Hope to see you before too long. Happy 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have the right...but I realized that it does no one any good to feel that way, especially me, so get over it!

      I can certainly see 'adventure' being a perfect word for you this year as you settle into your new surroundings even more! Hope to see you in a few weeks!

      Delete
  4. Gosh... Your life is so different from mine. These landscapes are gorgeous, but I cannot even imagine being involved in a capture. I've chosen SPACE as my word this year. I want to make more space for priorities in my life. It's not starting off so well, but it is still January, so there's time, right? Enjoy your new challenges and take care of yourself, Rachel. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, my life is pretty different from just about anybody I know. But maybe that's part of why we read blogs and interact with folks online...it's one way to experience something foreign to us?

      Space is a great word...I'll be interested to see how you use it/live with it over 2015. And the great thing about life is that it's never too late to begin again...if January isn't starting out as you planned, there is always tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. Oh my friend. Such gorgeous photos - and yes, thank you for including one of you. It is good to see your face, and right to see it in this real way, though I wish you weren't tired or cold or working over the holidays!

    I love your take on this word, challenge. This self work is absolutely the most challenging work I've ever done and I'm grateful to be in it with you. It is a really different sort of hard, isn't it? Wishing you courage, and faith in yourself for this journey, and we'll be grateful for whatever you are able and choose to share.

    My word, like Denise's, is space. My current schoolwork, client work, and personal practice on top of the changes with Tad stepping into freelance work, meant that if I didn't anticipate how busy or intense something would be (I didn't) and didn't persistently carve out enough space for myself in advance, I would get what was left over, which was next to nothing. Thank goodness for my mat time, but it wasn't enough.

    This year, I'll be working to make space for myself first, for solitude and rest, practice and renewal and writing. It means marking out space on the calendar well in advance and being proactive about communicating this need - dropping the guilt I've felt about it and the thought that it is somehow unreasonable. It is simply necessary for me in order to do the work I do. It also means it's time for me to build better systems to support myself, and to drop some of the addictive distracting behavior I can tend toward when overworked (futzing around on social media without a clear intent to connect for instance). This making space is also about being really conscious about who I give my attention to, instead of being willing to make time for anyone who asks, regardless of how draining it may be. I had my first weekly solo day on Thursday, and I felt like a whole new me - the self I know and love instead of the crazy person inhabiting my skin for the last month or so!

    Here's to challenges, and space, and growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS challenging work and I go through phases of shying away from it from time to time because of that (which I think is perfectly normal). But part of taking on this word was to remind myself that though it's okay to shy away on occasion, there is still so much more work left to do and I need to keep chipping away at it.

      Space, as you describe it, is the perfect word for you this year I think. You know I worry about you overextending yourself (as if I'm one to talk) and this makes my heart swell to see you acknowledging it and actively working on making room for yourself too. You pretty much rock Mel. ;)

      Delete
  6. My word is "change" as there is a whole lot of it coming down our path this year. We have one graduating and going to college and the other one will be driving and an only child. Plus, I'm starting back out in the workforce...part-time, but working none-the-less.

    What you do is amazing Rachel and none of us can ever imaging how demanding it must be. I have watched you over the years and am in awe. Hang in there and keep showing us those amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! Good to 'see' you here! So maybe adding 'embrace' onto your word would be good? ;) It does seem like you may have an interesting year ahead of you...but from what I can tell, you always deal with life's ups and downs with grace. I have no doubt you'll continue to do so! I hope that returning to work part-time is a welcome thing...and wish you good luck with that adjustment. Are you still doing your photography business? You really have such a good eye/style for portraits that I hope you are able to keep that a prominent component as well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Oh these images! These landscapes! Absolutely stunning and breathtaking! I have so much respect and admiration for what you do- I hope you know how awesome you are. I love your word choice for 2015, very powerful. It also seems to me that you actually live by this word so much already- I hope you give yourself full credit and respect for the many challenges you've taken on and endured already!
    Sending warmth!
    -claire

    ReplyDelete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.