I'm trying to get into a habit of posting on Sundays. I've noticed in the past that if I miss just one week then it's easy to miss two weeks and then months etc. Kind of like most things in life.
And yet today, I'm finding it hard because I don't know what to write about. It was a hard week. Actually, it was a hell of a hard week. A level of frustration and anger in general (work related) had been building over the past few months -- I've essentially been ignoring it and trying to just put my head down and focus on what I need to do instead of getting pulled into a bunch of petty political crap. Earlier this week I could feel a crash coming on as a result and I fought against it...using what I've learned. But then a phone call on Wednesday afternoon gut punched me...and that was all that was needed to send me spiraling down. I was pretty much nonfunctional for three and a half days. I was so annoyed with my profession that I just didn't care to work...I was too depressed to do anything fun (like create or knit or spin or exercise or cook)...I honestly don't really remember what I did...very typical when I crash.
Finally, late afternoon yesterday, I started to come out of it. I don't know what pulled me out exactly except that I received a card from a friend in the mail and immediately my spirits were raised (how is it that something so small can make such a huge difference?). I made a favorite dinner (simple and easy but delicious) and last minute decided to pull a can of home-grown peaches out of the pantry for the easiest and most delicious peach cobbler (because fruit, butter, and sugar never fail to make me happy) (Recipe: put peaches in a dish. Mix equal parts flour and sugar [I did 1 cup each for a quart jar amount of peaches] with 2 eggs. Spoon over peaches. Pour 6 tablespoons of melted butter over top. Bake at 425 for 30-45 minutes [took about 40 min last night]). And then we sat down to a decent movie (I thought it would be better given the hype I've seen but it was entertaining), the start of a new series (recommended by Kristie and so far is very good and intense), and an old favorite. I may have also enjoyed a bit of whiskey.
Now -- keeping it real. Another frustration that has been building is my office space. It was a disaster. As I got busier and busier and the number of projects I have to keep organized got larger and larger, I just couldn't keep up with it all -- honestly I think I lost the will. I just started to pile things wherever there was space instead of trying organize at all. The result? I was 'losing' things right and left and when I tried to find something, it would take me ages if I could find it at all. Again, so unlike me -- the organizational freak -- but a direct result of having too many simultaneous projects to deal with. So feeling better today, I finally decided that something must be done. And honestly I became a bit obsessed. It started with just shifting some notebooks that have data that we are done with (those papers have been published or soon to be published) into a protected area of the basement. That opened up some shelf space to put current notebooks of data. And from there, I just started going through everything (well, there are still some areas of the office that need attention but I ran out of time and steam to finish them...they need attention but they are at least tidy!). I found stuff I thought I had lost forever. I threw a bunch of stuff out. My office had become a place to throw anything...I had sports gear in there, I had knitting stuff in there... So some of what you'll see below involved shifting things to other areas where they were supposed to go. I found it most interesting that going through the piles, I could pinpoint the year when I started to just pile instead of organize. 2009. So when I look at the 'before' pictures, I feel a bit better that it took 5 years to reach this point (let's ignore that it also took 5 years to deal with it all)...
I can't even begin to tell you how much this simple act of cleaning up that space helped my mental state. I'm still upset and annoyed with the petty political crap, but now feel able to face it. What do they say? A cluttered space leads to a cluttered mind? I believe that.
| I bet you can't even tell what you are looking at. Yes, there is a floor under all those piles. |
| Now you can see what it is supposed to look like. aaaahhhhh. |
| Aaaahhhhhhhhh.... |
| Not conducive to productivity...but funny that since I left a place for my chair to move a bit, this picture doesn't look too bad! |
| Aaaaahhhhhhhhh.... |
Hopefully back next week with something more interesting...both to you and to me! Have a good week.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Mr. Bojangles by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
.
your office looks fabulous! i've got more than one space in my house that needs that kind of attention :)
ReplyDeletesometimes when you're in a low spot all you can do is ride it out... the hard part (at least from my personal experience) is not beating yourself up even more for riding it out.
I certainly have other spaces that need attention...but none that are that bad...and since this is where I spend the majority of my time (sad, but true), it gets priority!
DeleteYes...riding it out sometimes is all that can be done. And YES on the hardest part is not berating yourself for anything...because for me, that just makes me feel worse and turns into one of those vicious circles.
The 'new' space looks great. It is so true that physical clutter causes mental clutter. What I know is when things feel out of control in my life, taking control of the things I CAN control makes a HUGE difference. Organizing spaces is the main why I take control. Good job. PS LOVE the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
ReplyDeleteVery true...although some spaces, the job seems so daunting that I just can't face it! Cleaning this space up helped on a number of fronts though!
DeleteWell done you Rachel for organizing your workspace! I have a tipping point, and when clutter, piles of paper. etc. get past that it's like I get frozen. I just can't seem to move forward because I feel so overwhelmed by the size of the job I'm faced with. You did well to tackle it all in one day.
ReplyDeleteHave you read Kate Davies latest enter on her blog? She is discussing her life five years after her stroke, but she also talks about how stressed she was at her academic job before the stroke, and the depression that resulted from that stress. Here's the link in case you're interested. http://katedaviesdesigns.com/2015/01/28/five-years-on-part-1/
I'm glad you're enjoying Broadchurch. Did you make the lemon curd? Should I feel guilty for those lemons landing in your shopping cart? :-)
Ah, that frozen feeling. I know it well...and likely the very reason that it took so long for me to deal with this space. It's too bad we can't bottle up that feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment as a reminder!
DeleteI had not yet read that blog post...I had it up in a tab to read when you posted this comment though. Very fitting for me to read...part of that whole correlation between constant high stress and health is why I started working with Mel...and why I'm trying desperately to include things in my life that relax me...even something as simple as lighting candles in the evenings or taking a bath. Overall, I think it helps even if right at this particular point, I can't make a change to alleviate all stress.
Broadchurch is very well done (not surprising)...they know how to build and maintain tension. We are 3 episodes in and i have not idea 'who done it'. Now John is gone for a month and he'd be mad if I watched it without him so I can't finish up the first season until March. Bummer!
Will post about the lemon curd tonight...nope, you should not fee guilty. Quite the opposite in fact. Thanks!!
OK, the blog dislikes me this week - cannot seem to comment as myself, trying as my blog. Third day of attempts!
ReplyDeleteGlad you cleaned your space, hope it feels more productive and calming to be in it. Well done.
I really hope you find a solution to your work situation. I will tell you in a different space about Mr. Kate's experience with a stressful work environment and the eventual solution one day.
Sorry blogger isn't playing nice this week! But glad it let you through.
DeleteIt feels a ton more productive and calming...and really helped me this week. It's also great because once I take this step, I'm obsessed with organizing and so each day I made sure to put away stuff rather than even letting the littlest of piles start up (well, only in this space).
Any insight on stressful working situations you have, I'll take!
It's amazing how organizing and sorting can not only clear your office but your mind. It looks so much better! And it's nice to have a grip on things. I've got binders and folders for practically everything but I had to let go of some of the old outdated stuff.
ReplyDeleteI can't quite bring myself to be paperless yet! (I admit. It's never going to happen. Unless paper is outlawed.)
Someone that annoys me once told me about the mind/space clutter thing and I blew her off (mostly because it was her telling me it)...but as I've gotten older, I'm seeing that there really is a connection.
DeleteOther researchers have made fun of us because we refuse to go paperless...everything goes on hard copies first and then gets put in the computer. It is maybe more time that way but considering the amount of data entry issues I've seen (and sometimes do if I'm in a hurry), having those hard copies to check has saved our butt a few times. So even though I feel a bit like I'm working against the environment rather than for it when I print out hundreds of pages of data sheets each year, I think it's necessary!
Good to 'see' you Carrie!
I'm very impressed with your office clean-up! You're very brave!
ReplyDeleteBy the way I also agree that going completely without paper is impossible when doing research. If I have to read anything in any depth, I print it out. It makes for piles of paper, but there's just no way around it for me.
Brave to share such a mess or brave to actually tackle it? ;)
Delete