Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Reflections on radio silence...

It feels strange to be writing here.  I thought that when I finally opened up a post to write, it would feel comfortable...like coming home in a way.  And instead, I feel awkward...fumbling...tumbling...

The transition from field season back to 'normal' was more difficult this year just as I predicted...and with scrambling together extra contracts needed to fill some budget shortfalls (a consequence of soft-money salaries), my winter was one of the busiest I have had (as I write that I wonder how it is possible that it can get busier and yet every year, insanely, it does).  But the reason I never returned to this space was more than that...  And I tried to decide.  Do I write about it?  Or do I let this space just fade quietly away without bringing any attention to it...as so many others have?  I still don't know the answer to that question even as I begin writing.  But I do know that even if this post ends up being the last, I'm not quite ready to let this blog go.  And so, while the urge is there today, I will write. be forewarned.  this will not be my typical post.  this will be raw.  messy.  personal.  long and rambling.  if that doesn't interest you, leave now and know that i take no offense.

one quick rip of the band aid...

I suffer from depression...with an interesting splash of anxiety now and again for the fun of it.  I've never been clinically diagnosed, or taken medication for it but I know it is there. i don't believe it is a chemical imbalance for which medication can help...i believe it is situational mixed with my personality because it has not always been there.  It comes in the form of lethargy.  complete lack of motivation/energy to even do things I enjoy.  procrastination to the extreme is a by-product. i often will shut myself off from friends for long periods of time.  It comes with emotional eating.  It comes with mind games and self-criticism.  it comes with a self-loathing that can derail me faster and longer than any harsh word I could receive from others.  i am my own worse enemy.  my close friends see this (and remind me of it when they think i need to hear it...thank you for that)...  It's a vicious cycle and a damaging, exhaustive path to be on.  i'm not alone on this path...i'm guessing that some reading this can relate.  maybe not on the level I am at...or maybe even worse.  but on some level.  acknowledging the fact doesn't always translate into having the will to do something about it.  i acknowledged it a decade ago.  i found the will to do something about it much more recently.  and maybe am ready to write about it.

almost 7 years ago, relatively new to the blogging world, i 'met' mel.  many of you probably remember her from her now removed knitting blog...pipe dreams and purling plans. her site was linked to from another i read...i clicked over and found myself looking at an impossibly beautiful pair of socks that mel had finished (I still covet those socks and one day will make a pair myself).  and also found a space that just drew me in...  mel was sincere and open in her writing...she was real and didn't try to hide her 'messy parts'.  i didn't know her from eve but it felt like finding an old friend.  i commented on those socks that day... and that opened the door to a friendship that is so special, I still have trouble wrapping my brain around how we met.  at first glance, mel and i lead extraordinarily different lives.  i wonder sometimes...if we lived in the same town, would we have become friends?  i doubt it because our circles likely would never have crossed.  knitting linked us...2000 miles away.  i am grateful beyond words.

i'm a skeptical person.  remember this.

the past couple of years, i watched mel make some pretty significant transitions in her life...all for the better.  mel and i may be different on the outside, but emotionally speaking, our similarities are more apparent.  one of the things that changed was the addition of yoga into her life.  and i watched how it affected...how it helped...her.  i had heard all about benefits of yoga but skoffed that it could bring real change to your life...i mean, how could some poses and deep breathing really help someone?  and i had been to several yoga classes and just couldn't really 'feel' it you know?  as the instructor talked to us in what i referred to as an irritatingly sickly sweet, almost monotonous tone about what we should be feeling and how not to compare ourselves with others and how if i stayed in this particular pose for 4 minutes a day every day, my life would change...well, i internally thought 'what a load of crap' and let my mind just wander to all the things i needed to get done once i got out of that class.  that skeptic voice, near and dear to me, probably would have continued to win out if it hadn't of been Mel I was watching change through yoga.  and why did I trust in her journey and not others? because she, my dear friends, is damn near as skeptical as i am. 

i don't want to admit i need help.  i'm certain i am not alone there either.  

two winters ago, i finally realized i was letting depression basically rule my life.  i needed help and i reached out to someone that i trusted and that i knew understood what i was dealing with.  mel.  by this time, she was on her way to quitting her 'corporate' job to become a yoga instructor full time.  and coincidentally (unknown to me at the time), was developing a personal client program which was designed to help folks do a home yoga practice.  she needed a test client and had wanted to ask me.  if you believe in that kind of thing, the stars had aligned.  i will admit that i had no idea how a home practice of poses was going to help my depression but i put complete faith in mel.

i did 3 months of work with mel in winter 2012/13.  and while the premise was a home yoga practice, it felt more like therapy to me.   it was hard.  and i fought against it.  i was skeptical.  i wanted everything explained to me.  HOW does this help you?  WHAT are the linkages?  and the less things could be explained, the more I feel I fought against them.  it's the scientific side of me I guess.  i started the process looking at yoga completely in the wrong way.  to me, yoga was about the pose.  about the physical.  about actually being on the mat.  mel taught me just how limited that view was.

our session that winter ended shortly before i went in the field.  i had learned a lot and i had started to understand some things about myself.  about how to change bad habits.  about self-awareness.  more than i can list here.  i actually had strings of 'good days'.  where i used to live in a world where 'good' was maybe a 4 on a 1 to 10 scale and bad was a 2, i learned (remembered) what an 8 felt like...briefly and tenuously at first, but there it was.  i also learned though that when the highs go higher, it makes the lows seem lower.  it was more painful to 'crash' back down.  and i mistakenly, at first, thought that yoga could make the crashes go away.  unrealistic but i wanted, like so many others, a fix.  when i would crash again and again, i couldn't understand that this was progress and that it's not about fixing, it's about dealing.  that realization took longer to come. and so often, during that first session, thoughts of self-protection crept back in.  maybe it was better to not be aware?  okay, never better...but easier.  oh so much easier.  i know I whined countless times to mel about how hard this was.  and she patiently would remind me that yes, it was hard, and yes it would be long, but it was worth it.  again, i trusted her.

i am not cheap, but i am frugal.

i knew at the beginning of the field season last year that i wanted/needed to do another 3 month session with mel when i came out of the field.  this was a huge step for me because though self-protection thoughts dominated, i knew that was only temporary.  by this point, mel had her 'Yoga For You' program set up and I needed to become a paying client.  i'm frugal.  and it was a bit costly (now...take that with a grain of salt.  for what you are getting, i don't think mel charges enough...but it is a cost when just looking at the numbers relative to one's paycheck).  that's saying a ton about how much the program helped me the first time...i was willing to pay for another round with no hesitation.

that's what i've been doing this past winter (well, and working of course).  i think all my non-work energy went into either that program or the side-effects of that program (which i will call 'living' again).  i couldn't bring myself to knit or spin most of the winter.  i didn't take my camera out except once for christmas.  i didn't blog (I was journaling separately).  i barely went online except occasionally to pinterest to look for recipes.  i didn't have creative energy to spare and i think i just didn't want/couldn't handle the comparisons i make with my own life with each new blog post i read.  i needed to figure my own things out without all that extra stimulus adding confusion to the mix.  As the 3 months progressed and i started making progress, little by little, these things were allowed back in.  knitting and spinning as a tool to help me...and as something i enjoy and a creative outlet.  i started following a few blogs that are near and dear to me again because I was learning not to compare anymore...but never could bring myself back to an active follow (commenting) rather than just a passive following.  it didn't feel right anymore for all kinds of reasons i won't go into here.  i don't know if that will change in time again or not.  (don't get me wrong...i miss those interactions but i don't know if commenting on blog posts is really the communication link that works for me any more)

i thought i learned a lot the first session.  what arrogance.  and ignorance.  don't get me wrong...i DID.  but this sort of process, it feels like exponential learning to me.  like going from a 1 to 2 the first time around...and then a 2 to 4 the next time around.   this process i'm on, it's forever.  there are no quick fixes which is hard to admit.  but no longer do i feel like self-preservation, or being unaware, is better.  it's hard, yes.  but hard is now better than the alternative.  no longer do i have to question everything.  i still can't explain how something seemingly physical on the surface (yoga in a very broad definition of the word) can have such profound emotional effects as well.  and it doesn't matter that I can't explain it.  i am still skeptical...that will always be there.  but in a way i think it's a good thing.  questioning is a powerful tool.  perhaps it lends itself to staying power...blind acceptance is just not ever going to work for me. 

today?  those highs are more frequent and last for a longer duration.  i still crash and i always will but i'm learning how to handle them...how to turn them around quicker.  i'm learning who i am rather than who i think i am.  i'm learning what i actually need in my everyday life in order to stay mentally sane...  friends who i've talked to recently after months of radio silence can hear a difference...they tell me how much better i sound.  this progress i think i've made...it's not in my head.  it's real.  it's raw.  it's messy.  it's hard.  it's amazing.

why am i sharing this?  i don't know.  probably as an explanation for silence...in this space, in your space, silence to emails that have been sent to me this winter asking how I am (thank you...they meant a lot to me but please understand why i couldn't really bring myself to respond at the time).  also i think because if i do come back to this space again, it will be different.  of that i'm sure.  no longer do i feel an urge to share just the finished, just the polished...the impersonal.  in fact, i feel no urge at all (i finished 3 big knitting projects this spring and had no desire whatsoever to post about them).  i do feel like sharing the process. the personal.  the raw.  the messy.  there are a few blogs i read just for inspiration...and that inspiration comes not from beautiful photos, lovely finished objects (although they have those)...but from the realness of the writing.  if i come back to this space, i hope to model it after those inspirational ladies (with my own unique flair thrown in of course!).  which may mean this is a space many of you no longer want to visit.  i'm okay with that...things change and evolve and we have to accept that.

i don't expect that what i've written here will help others... because one thing i've learned is that what works for others will not work for me.  elements of this and that of course...but as individuals we all need different things.  in fact, I wrote this weeks ago and couldn't bring myself to hit publish. and then, in that weird fate way, a couple days later, mel published a picture on her facebook page that said 'tell your story' and followed it with this commentary:  "Other people's words, those people who've written books and blogs and such, their wisdom can help, it can be a guide, but sooner or later it all comes down to your own life and the story you're living right now. And your own words? They're damn powerful. To others - you never know who will need the guidance and help of *your* words - and most of all, your own self. Write it down. Tell your story. It has an impact."  I immediately commented on the post saying that THIS is what i've been thinking about and i was still unresolved.  thinking on it a good bit the past couple of weeks, i'm ready to hit publish.  for better or worse. 

***footnote
while i do wholeheartedly recommend mel's Yoga For You program to anyone and everyone, i have to admit that the draw for me was mel.  given my personality, my quirks...i don't think i ever would have progressed/learned/opened up etc to someone I didn't know and trust.  as i said...the stars aligned.

if you believe in that kind of stuff.



27 comments:

  1. This left me with a full heart, Rachel. Your honesty moves me, it is my favourite way for people to write, from truth and honesty. And I have missed you and your 'voice' - not your projects or pictures, just you.
    PS I practised yoga years ago in Victoria and then could never find an instructor I liked in our new town. I finally, just at the beginning of this year, started doing it on my own in the mornings. Feels damn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your words kate. it is scary to be transparent...and i always thought if i actually said the words 'i suffer from depression' that i would be looked at differently. i would appear weak. sometimes our thoughts, they aren't always rationale are they?

      i'm glad you started practicing yoga on your own. one of the things i really appreciate about mel's take is that yoga doesn't actually have to be time on the mat. i do spend time on the mat of course (but that can be sporadic), but my early morning walks are also yoga according to mel. those walks are serving the same purpose for my mental health. so all kinds of ways to practice!

      i think i will continue to post in this space. i just need to not let it (meaning my space and others) consume me. sometimes in the past it has...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for such an open and heartfelt post. Last summer, I realized that I could no longer 'fix' the things that were 'wrong' with me myself...and I found an awesome therapist who helped me see there was nothing wrong with me, that I didn't need fixing, but I did need to figure out how to not let depression and anxiety push me in a place that I didn't want to be. The benefits to this have been just incredible for me, in terms of career, relationships, and health. I feel good about my choices and am better at letting go of things that try to throttle me.

    It is all a journey, and we're all together in this even if we don't 'see' you all the time. So happy you are back, at least for one post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for the comment, kim, and for sharing your story as well. it's easy to forget sometimes that we are not alone in our struggles. i have to admit that i tried the therapy route about 7 years ago. some friends pushed it (gently, but pushed) and so i went to one in town recommended by a friend i trusted. it was a horrible experience. when asked what made me happy, and i responded that seeing/working with the elk was one thing that consistently made me happy, she compared me to the 'grizzly man'. you know, the one killed because he tried to hang out with grizzly bears? i know that sometimes it takes time to find someone that will work for you but my experience was so deflating that i didn't have the strength to try another. thus, i'm very happy that you found one that worked so well for you.

      and yes...there is nothing 'wrong' with us. i don't know that i ever felt that way...my self-criticism comes not as 'you need to change' necessarily, but from not being able to fight against the depression etc. now i'm learning to be kind to myself...but also to take responsibility for it. hard to explain exactly how those two things are linked but that lesson took over a year to learn/understand. it's a powerful tool.

      Delete
  3. i will echo the comments that i have been missing you and your voice in this space... it makes me happy to know that you have been focusing on self care and finding ways to work through your depression. as you said, it is hard messy work, but it is so worth it.
    i too suffer from depression/anxiety and i was lucky to find a therapist who, along with some meds, has helped me on my journey to understand myself and to help me learn to love myself, as corny as that sounds.
    i started taking a bellydance class last august and i can not even explain to you how much it has changed and strengthened me. i feel feminine and powerful and beautiful and strong when i dance... it has helped me to keep on my own path, much like your yoga is helping you.
    i always say this about therapy - that i had spent my entire life looking through a peep hole in a door thinking that was all there was in the world, and then my therapist tapped me on the shoulder and i turned around and there was a huge wall of windows behind me with a glorious view... i just had to learn how and where to look.
    my own journey is still continuing and some days is better than others, and i send so much positivity and joy to you as you are making your way on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had wondered, based on some of your 'pinning' if you were actually belly dancing! that is very cool! so as i mentioned above to kate, your belly dancing, in a broad sense of the word IS yoga. for me, i realized that to stay motivated, to feel good about myself...to feel powerful and strong as you say...i need intense physical release every day. sometimes that is on the mat. but more often than not, it isn't. it's a hard hike. it's an insanity tape. it's hours on a bike. first step was figuring out just how much i need those things to fight my depression and anxiety...second was learning which one worked in what situation...third was figuring out how to motivate to do them. and when i do, i feel empowered. which makes all the difference in the world in how i treat myself.

      i will also send the positivity and joy back...hoping we both have more 'good' days than 'bad'. thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Dear Rachel, For better or worse? I say better! I am so happy to see that you are learning how to deal with these feelings in a healthy way. You are right about different people needing different things. We all have our unique traits and ways of handling challenges. I have missed your "unique flair" and have wondered what you have been up to. I hope you do return to this space and share whatever suits you. I'm interested in seeing you and your space change and evolve. I still haven't moved beyond scarves, hats, and the occasional square or rectangle. Personal, raw, messy... It all works for me. Good to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for your words denise. i think i will return to this space...perhaps not as regularly as i have in the past (and i'm back in the field in northern BC until october so that complicates it), but in some form or another. i have missed the interactions and friendships that grew from this space...i needed to remove myself from a lot this past winter...and if i start writing in this space...start interacting...and it starts consuming me again, then i'll reconsider. i think i'm aware enough, strong enough, now to recognize this. thank you again for reading.

      Delete
  5. You're a writer, Rachel. I hope you continue this blog and write whatever you feel like writing. It was so obvious from your previous posts that you are talented and creative--from your photographs to gourds and knitting. I hope you keep expressing what's inside you whether through art or writing or both. I really like when I'm given something new to think about. (I'm a thinker.) You've just given me a few things to ponder--like what are the things in life that really make a person happy? Why do I think--if only I could really write well, I'd be happy, or if I could have this or that or look like this or that. But those aren't the answers to contentment, are they? So I'll think on that for a while this morning. I really hope you keep writing and keep sharing the talents you have while you're looking for your own answers. Throw in something pretty now and then. I love beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's interesting that i have never considered myself a writer. and yet recently, i've begun to wonder if maybe i am? at some level, i suppose so. i think that is one of the hardest things that i've learned through this process...that sometimes who I want to be may not necessarily be who i am. i think we can challenge ourselves to try new things and to change/adapt but i think that ultimately, there are aspects inherent in our genetics/personality that prevent us from being something we really want to be or doing something we really want to do. it's a hard thing to accept...it's a hard thing to learn. but it's a critical lesson...and while i'm still working through that particular lesson...my life is better for it.

      thanks for reading wanda...i'm pleased to hear that some of my posts make you think. and don't worry...if i'm in this space, there will always be pretty now and again.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that Mel's program, and her friendship, are helping you to find some clarity, some balance. I have missed you, but I'm still here. You are a wonderful person, and I hope you know that, at least to some extent. I don't just come here for the pretty! I will email you back soon. Thanks for these words, and for letting us in. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacey...for still being here and for your friendship. And for not just coming for the pretty. ;)

      Delete
  7. So much to think about and process. I am happy beyond words that you are back. It always must be on your terms, but I'm glad your terms have brought you back here, in whatever capacity it will be. I'll write more later when I have time to process and respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy...i'm still navigating the waters with the blog. written a few more posts but discarded them. something will feel right in time. glad to see you here though!

      Delete
  8. I have been waiting for two days to comment on this post, Rachel. What you have said is so big, and I feel like any words I can add are very small in comparison. What an incredible gift a good friend can be, and you have certainly found one in Mel. I am intrigued by what you said in response to one of the comments above, about walking being part of your yoga. It's so nice to see you back here. You were missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kristie...and the fact that you and others commented at all, no matter the words...i'm so grateful. Yes about walking being yoga. i don't want to speak for Mel, but I think yoga, for her, is not just about the physical, but also a state of mind. And that's what she taught me. So walking, in the 'right' mindset is yoga. It's freeing to understand this and more importantly, it makes a daily practice more attainable than thinking it is always has to be on the mat.

      Delete
  9. I've been waiting to respond, too. I truly believe telling our stories is one of the actions we can take to help ourselves--it's an acknowledgment that it *does* matter, that you matter.
    Have you ever read the "Autobiography in 5 Short Chapters?" A friend gave me a copy in high school. Her therapist had given it to her (she began her dance with depression when she was a teenager) and the ideas in it have been touch points for me the last 20+ years (along with my yoga!). Here it is:

    Autobiography In Five Short Chapters

    Chapter I

    I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in.
    I am lost... I am hopeless.
    It isn't my fault.
    It takes forever to find a way out.

    Chapter II

    I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I pretend I don't see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can't believe I am in this same place.
    But it isn't my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.

    Chapter III

    I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I see it there.
    I still fall in... it's a habit... but,
    my eyes are open.
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.

    Chapter IV

    I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I walk around it.

    Chapter V

    I walk down another street.

    - Portia Nelson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Lindsey. Yes. And yet, a year ago, I may not have found this as meaningful...or maybe I wouldn't have understood it. I am now in chapter III (and likely will be for a long time with occasional slides back). I think what struck me the hardest in these words was where the fault lies in each chapter. This was a hard lesson for me and one I'm still learning. I'm finally taking responsibility but not blaming. Learning those are two very different things. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. I think that piece of each chapter struck me, too. It isn't always out fault. But we can still take responsibility for how we respond to situations beyond our control. That is so. very. hard. I'm thinking of you.

      Delete
    3. Again, YES! So. Very. Hard.

      By the way, I shared this with Mel who had never heard of it. She thought it was pretty amazing...and accurate too! So glad that you posted it here...

      Delete
  10. Your words touched me deeply...I think many of us have felt this way at one point or another. I am so glad to have met you.
    And I think I really should be doing more yoga :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's me! Here's to finding the good parts of this year's field season....and to getting through the tough ones.

      Delete
    2. I was hoping so!! Long time stranger! I will send you an email soon but so glad to 'hear' your voice. We were just talking about you the other day actually. Last year's field crew was quite possibly the worst we've ever had and so in preparation for meeting this year's crew, John and I were trying to focus on the good ones in the past. You, of course, top that list! Some good memories working with you. I hope you and your family are well...more to come via personal message soon!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, that is so nice of you to say, and means so much to me...I try to remember it on those days when no one appreciates me at work. :) I should also add you and John are two of the best bosses I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
      We are all good here... I'm trying to figure out how to subscribe by email to your blog, but I don't think I've got it yet. I'm not sure that you have my current email either (it's a yahoo). We'll see if this works....

      Delete
  11. I have been trying to find the words to respond to this ever since you posted it. You've worked hard and it's been a joy to watch you unfold. This community, here in the comments, is such a testament to who you are as a person - and your ability to connect through the written word. I'm grateful and honored to call you my friend and to be on this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel. For the words, the intent, the help, the patience (oh, the patience), the understanding...but more than anything, for the friendship.

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.