Hello dear friends!
A couple days ago I returned from 4 months in the woods. And am still trying to accept that fact. Some of you may be surprised by how hard the adjustment is when returning to civilization...but it is quite difficult for me. The first 2 nights, I almost slept outside because sleeping in a bed in a house was too strange. I'm constantly waking up very confused about where I am...I'm still a bit lost regarding what to do and how to behave in a house! And for the first time at the end of a field season, I really miss the crew we had. They were an amazing group and I'm feeling very lost without their constant companionship. Rarely do I feel lonely even if left completely alone for long periods of time but I'm struggling with that very thing right now. We've been keeping in touch already through texting (yes, I know it is shocking but somehow I got dragged into the texting world this summer kicking and screaming...yet now am thankful for it as a means to keep in touch with everyone). More on the crew dynamic and the fun we had in a later post...
I've often been asked what it is like living/working in the woods the way I do...so I'm planning on posting more details about the
field season over the course of the next month or two. There are some
memories I want to share and relive and with the new space, I feel
comfortable doing that. I did have access to internet at times over the
summer but in reality, I had a really hard time wanting to do anything
online. It just doesn't fit in that world you know?
So until I can transition back to 'normal' living, I'll still be a bit sparse in the bloglands. With that said though, as I requested last year, I would love it if those of you with blogs could point me to a post or two you'd really want me to read...either a special event that happened to you, or a special project etc. I'll have to 'mark as read' most of my feeder and start afresh once I can brave it but don't want to miss out completely on the past 4 months in your lives.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: The Boxer by Mumford and Sons
(their new album was released yesterday and I downloaded it immediately...when I saw they had a version of The Boxer on it, I was pretty skeptical. How can it be better than the original? I've heard lots of bad versions over the years. But add Jerry Douglas on dobro and the M&S style and I'm hooked!).
Welcome back! Good luck with the reentry. All has been peaceful in my world the past four months, though there's a new cat to meet in my The hat post :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! I'm giggling at your comments about texting. :) A lot of people I know were resistant for a long time but dang it!- it's convenient! My husband just gave in last week when we switched our phones to prepaid plans that included unlimited texts. At any rate, I'm glad to see you back and hope the rest of your transition back to civilization goes OK. As for what I've been up to-mostly keeping quiet this summer while I prepared the class I'm teaching now, writing my dissertation, etc. But I did just finish a sweater that I'm pretty psyched about: http://wp.me/p11Q86-fj
ReplyDeleteIt is so very good to see you here, my friend. Wishing you comfort and space as you adjust.
ReplyDeletewelcome back dear friend!
ReplyDeletei've missed you this summer. i'm glad to hear you had such a good field season and wonderful people to work with.
as for me... let's see... claire was in the states this month and we managed a good ol'fashioned sandwich meetup. you're gonna wanna go see how cute claire looks while pregnant!
http://knittingsandwich.typepad.com/sandwich/2012/09/a-wisconsin-meetup.html
-melissa
I know what you mean! I'm only lucky enough to get to spend a weekend, at most a week, in the woods, and reentry is difficult even then! I'm looking forward to reading more about your experience and I live for details, so don't hold back! :o)
ReplyDeleteNice to see your words here, Rachel. Relax and ease in slowly.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! I'm looking forward to your fieldwork stories and photography, but take your time!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been blogging that much during the past couple of months, myself. I'm now back east for my last semester of graduate school and am deluged with stress. But a few fun things from the summer:
A visit to 13 Mile Lamb & Wool Co.:http://evergreenknits.blogspot.com/2012/06/visit-to-thirteen-mile-lamb-wool-co.html
The red sweater I'd been working on over this summer, and a red snake: http://evergreenknits.blogspot.com/2012/07/sinuous-reds.html
And the end of the summer catch-up: http://evergreenknits.blogspot.com/2012/09/end-of-summer.html
I think you are an incredibly strong woman! I don't think I would be able to go from one to the other - I can totally understand why you are having trouble. I wish you luck, health and happiness!
ReplyDeleteI knew if I checked in here every once in a while you would be here. And here you are. Welcome back.
ReplyDeleteHmmm - check this one out. http://0521kt.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/the-lakes-of-northern-bc/ Grand adventures!
Welcome home! Can't wait to hear about your adventures. :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome home! Can't wait to hear about your summer adventures! We traveled to San Francisco this year. We all had a blast. Pictures over at my website!
ReplyDeleteIt is great to see you back at your blog! It sounds like you had a great experience this past summer. I'm looking forward to reading your posts about your time in the woods.
ReplyDeleteThis first link is to a post I did about the one thing I would grab if our house was on fire. The second link is to a post I recently did while in South Korea, visiting my daughter.
http://journeynorthof49.blogspot.ca/2012/07/just-one-thing.html
http://journeynorthof49.blogspot.ca/2012/09/a-special-evening.html
so glad you're back. I have a hard time picking one post, so I'll suggest this link and you can scan and decide. http://work-in-progress.typepad.com/work-in-progress/unitedkingdom2012/
ReplyDelete