Thanks everybody for supporting this change. I had hoped to email each of you individually but as usual, ran out of time. But I so appreciate your thoughts/comments.
Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I leave for the field. I actually may have internet connection periodically over the summer so it is possible you'll see me once every couple of weeks. We'll just have to see!
The time leading up to a field season is push, push, push...no matter how much you prepare in advance, somehow it is still push, push, push up to the last minute. When you take animals out to the field, when your study sites
are relatively large, and when you have a crew of 5 or 6 people, there are a
lot of details. John and I have done this for so long that we can
easily split the responsibilities...and almost work on autopilot. This year though, it is not John and
I out there...it's a graduate student and myself. It's daunting and scary doing this with someone who has no experience or understanding of what she
said yes to. And it is daunting doing this without John...my normal support system in the field.
Though this is technically our graduate student's project, it is my main responsibility to make sure the project is successful. Our funding sources gave us money only with the promise that I would do whatever it takes to make the project a success. It's a weight that I carry every day and there are days that I wonder whether I can actually pull it off.
Though this is technically our graduate student's project, it is my main responsibility to make sure the project is successful. Our funding sources gave us money only with the promise that I would do whatever it takes to make the project a success. It's a weight that I carry every day and there are days that I wonder whether I can actually pull it off.
Despite
this, I'm trying to remember just that...it is not my project. And the student needs
to learn how to juggle field crews and deal with the inherent problems
facing this type of work. Because in all likelihood, next year she has
to do it without my support (I'll be in Canada doing this with
caribou). And because this is her PhD project...and PhD projects are supposed to push your limits to the breaking point right? So while there is still push, push, push now...and while I'll
still have 16 hour days with no time off until sometime in
October...I'm trying to not let it consume me. Biking has been part of
that, but here is a little tease of some of the other things I've done to
break away from the intensity a bit the past couple of weeks. Wish me luck I can continue to squeeze in 'me time' in the field...
![]() |
| Searching for great greys with good friends...didn't see any babies, but found 3 adults...great outing! |
![]() |
| A forest floor covered with oxalis...such a sight. |
![]() |
| Stopping to take notice of the flowers...this one in particular, we don't see very often because flowering shoots can be rare (Fraseria speciosa) |
![]() |
| Remembering how I love my camera. And remembering that sometimes looking at things from a different perspective can produce interesting, beautiful results (Lupinus spp.). |
| I haven't had time to knit much, but did squeeze in another dishcloth for a friend...the yarn ball the kitten is holding didn't turn out quite like I wanted, but I still think it is pretty cute! |
| And of course, spending as much quality time with the girls as I can. I can't even begin to describe how much I'm going to miss them this summer... |
Have a great summer everybody...I'll check back in this space and yours as I have the time.
_ _ _ _ _
.






You know how to use your 'me time'. Julian + lime/goat cheese ice cream was making especially good use of that time. And that owl... So majestic. I haven't listened to Susan Tedeschi in so long. Now I'm totally in the mood. Take care of yourself out there. x, Denise
ReplyDeleteThanks for the invitation & I feel so honoured being one of your friends. Have a safe trip.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great field season - both safe and successful. I will keep watching for updates in case you find the occasional internet connection. If not, I will look forward to reading your blog again in October. :-)
ReplyDeletethank you for leaving us with such a lovely parade of images.
ReplyDeletegood luck in the field, your grad student is lucky to have you as her mentor.
-melissa
Super cute Julian and the owl is magnificent! Your grad student is lucky to have you.
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely, serene photos. Good luck on this trip.
ReplyDeleteAmazing photo of the owl! Wonder how many I've hiked past without knowing! Good luck with your work in the field, enjoy your time in the wild.
ReplyDeletei'm a little late coming on here, as you have already left. but i'm enjoying your new blog already, such beautiful photos and a bit of insight into your work. hope you have a wonderful summer in the wild.
ReplyDeleteYou've already left, but I am coming to say that I'm envious of your owl sightings, as we sometimes hear them but have yet to see one in the woods.
ReplyDeleteHang in there.
~kate
Hoping you'll get time during this grueling schedule to share it a little here. What a weight you must have been & still are feeling about this project, yours or not. Your graduate student is lucky to be working with someone like you.
ReplyDeleteRachel! So glad to hear from you, and sorry it has taken me so long to check in. I periodically think about re-entering the blogging world, but life keeps getting in the way. Perhaps your move here will prove the inspiration I have been waiting for! Such beautiful photos, and really refreshing to read about your work. I was thinking about you the other day as I broke out for a few minutes with a pal to see a few documentary shorts and one was this one: http://silverdocs.festivalgenius.com/2012/films/reindeer_evaweber_silverdocs2012 -- it was beautiful to watch, but I kept wondering what it was all about! Anyway, looking forward to being in better touch (maybe?) in the coming months. Good luck out there! --liz
ReplyDeleteLove all the pictures! Absolutely gorgeous (as usual). : ) And baby Julian is getting so big! Stay safe in the great outdoors. ((hugs))
ReplyDelete