Welcome friends.
Perhaps it is not the best idea to start a new blog right before a field season where I'll have limited access to the internet. But then again, maybe it is just the right time...
So why the new space and the (hopefully) more limited readership?
I felt like my old blog had turned into a place to 'show off' the crafty side of my life...knitting, art, photography etc...and only documenting this very small side of my life was starting to feel restrictive to me. More importantly, I realized I had become too focused on the 'popularity aspect' (number of comments or page views or subscribers) of the blog and found myself blogging what I thought would be 'most interesting' rather than blogging about what I wanted to share. And while there is nothing wrong with either of those (and I'll certainly continue to 'show off' the crafty endeavors here as well), I felt like I was ready to move on and share some of the other sides of my life only with those folks I call friends. And so I needed a safer place to do that. While I've not gone down the path of a password protected blog at this point, I hope to be able to limit readership here by only giving the address to a select few and by removing the option for this blog to show up in search engines. For now, I think that will help my sense of security and I'll be comfortable posting more details about my day to day life.
I don't know yet what will appear in this space. As mentioned above, I'll continue to share what I'm creating but even for this topic, I want to move beyond the 'polished' finished object posts. Maybe share more about how I view the process...maybe take some risks (e.g., with photography...in particular, I may start showing my mug more often instead of just headless FO shots!)... And I want to share more about my job and what that means in the day to day...and the path that J and I seem to be on with respect to future plans. I want to share recipes even if I am a horrible food photographer. I want to share ideas.
So in short, I'm not really sure yet where this will go and how it will evolve. I hope that instead of a blog post, this will feel more like a letter to
a friend. I would love it if there was interaction in the comments...
I'll post when I can this summer and then be back with a more constant presence this fall and we'll just see how it goes.
Thank you for coming on this journey with me.
.
Hello! Thanks for the invite!
ReplyDeleteHello you! Thank you for inviting me! I completely understand...I feel the same way a lot lately. I hope you find some joy in the change. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteI hope the change brings you more freedom to express yourself, Rachel. I look forward to continuing the journey. ~kate
ReplyDeleteThanks for including me, I stopped blogging for many of the same reasons.. Looking forward to reading more from you :)
ReplyDeleteHi. :) You know I struggle with this as well. I wish you luck with finding this place a safer, more comfortable spot. Good luck on the field work this summer.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to reading your new blog! I hope you have a great field season, and I also hope this blog becomes the blog you want it to be. Thanks for the invitation!
ReplyDelete(apologies if this duplicates, I'm having some blogger & device issues this a.m.) Ideas & risk & privacy - you know where I stand on all those things ;) I'm grateful to be invited along, and look forward to watching you unfold in this space.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the invitation, I'm glad to be considered one of your friends even though our long friendship is based only on blogger! Good luck with your new blog--I think most people with a 'craft' blog have these same internal conversations with themselves and I appreciate you sharing your thought process and inviting me along for the ride.
ReplyDeleteSo honored to be asked along for this new journey. I'm looking forward to reading what you share. I'm so glad to have connected with you. Best wishes for your field work over the next few months.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you find this space more comfortable to share your true self. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks for including me, Rachel! I'm happy to be a part of your life, and that you're a part of mine. I need to send you at least one email response to you today, because I know you're leaving very soon.
ReplyDeleteI won't say much since I already sent a long-ish email, but thanks again for the invite!
ReplyDeleteThanks for including me Rachel. I'll be waiting to hear all about your time in the field. See you when you return:)
ReplyDeleteRachel, I feel so honored to be included. I look forward to what this new space can mean for you. I hope you have an excellent, minimally stressful field session!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful beginning. Cheers to reflection and taking the steps that move you toward the life you want to live.
ReplyDeleteI haven't blogged in ages and am thinking, also, about which direction I want to go when I start writing again and in which direction I want to go in my new life of retirement. I like to write, I like to cook, I like my new camera and I like new adventures. I think I'll just follow my moods and see where they take me. I have been so impressed with seeing the creative work you do and the openness with which you write. Keep writing, whichever way it takes you. Thanks for inviting me along.
ReplyDeleteThe whole popularity aspect is such an odd thing isn't it, my comment numbers have really dropped away and I've wasted a few brain cells wondering why. I hope this change gives you greater freedom, the fun thing is to write just what you want. I'm holding on to that and really looking forward to participating in ths space with you.
ReplyDeletei look forward to joining you on your new journey.
ReplyDelete-melissa
Isn't it weird how we take something that is intrinsically ours and try to present it differently for others? I can never decide if it's a gender or human thing. But I'm happy to hear that you found a safer place! I'd've been here earlier but iphones hate blogs. At least mine does.
ReplyDelete