Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

Trust in the Beauty
















I faltered last autumn.  I grew up, went to school, and have worked most of my life in rural America (in the east and west) around the hate, intolerance, and ignorance that was catered to (encouraged in fact) by our new president.  So while I wasn't surprised by the results, I couldn't make myself believe them either.  Every day before and after the election, I'd see something online that made my blood boil or made my heart sick.  I had to step back for my own sanity.  And so, for the most part, I went offline.  And in that time, I lost my voice.  Whenever I thought about this space, I just couldn't see the point.  With all that is going on in this county, in this world, it just didn't seem right to post about knitting a pair of mittens.  Or bringing in the new year with black-eyed peas and a visit to my elk girls.  And yet, when I did venture online, it was to seek out those images of fiber.  Images of nature. Images of a home-cooked meal.  Images of life.  I needed to be reminded of that beauty even if I was incapable of sharing it myself. 

Denise wrote about hope a few weeks back.  When I finally visited her site and commented...a comment that mirrors some of the above sentiment...she returned with a story about a simple, yet beautiful moment in her day that she was holding on to.  And then she said this: The world needs your post about knitting mittens because it needs to remember what beautiful looks like.  I needed someone to say this to me.

And so I chose today, inauguration day, to find my voice and to share some of the beauty in my world. 

I didn't find comfort in knitting last fall...which is actually a normal post-season cycle for me.  But when I came home in late December, despite having Xmas gifts on the needles that still needed to be finished, I kept coming back to this mitten pattern that I had seen.  I'm not normally a fan of yellow but the slanted garter ridges, the happy yellow and light grey combination set against the white and grey back-drop we've been living in for 2 months almost...I knew I needed to cast on.  And knitting these mittens was pure joy.  Given the way they are knit, the fit is not the greatest (the mitten body is knit flat and seamed and the thumb is knit separately, and flat which makes for a strange fit)...  And on one anxiety-ridden day, I just had to finish them and thus the seaming could have been neater...   But I love them anyway.  Every time I look at them, I feel happy.  The first morning they were dry from blocking, I wore them when I went out on my morning walk.  The air was bitter (it was -5 F) but the sun was just starting to break out and I felt myself coming out of the mental fog.  I suddenly had this feeling of immense gratitude.  I noticed the world, the beauty, around me again for the first time in what felt like weeks.  A few moments later, I glanced down and saw a splash of color against the white.  A beautiful flicker feather.  It felt almost serendipitous to me...

Every year for the past few, I've been choosing a word that would guide me through the year and sharing it here.  I find this to be an invaluable practice.  Each year I look back to those words that I've chosen in the past and find that while there is always more work that can be done, I can see progress.  I had a few words competing for attention this year but in the end, I settled on TRUST.  And while this can mean a whole mess of things, it's intended to mean 'trust in myself'.  Like many, I don't have very high self-esteem and I see how that, hand in hand with fear, holds me back day in and day out.  When I fractured my arm, I lost some trust in my body.  And by November, long after I was told it would be healed and yet it still wasn't, when I attempted to do a push-up and literally fell flat on my face because I had lost so much strength in my upper body...well, what little trust I had left went completely out the door.  Shortly after that I went on captures at the start of one of the worst winters I've experienced since moving west.  Day in and day out for 3 weeks I was trudging up and down hills in 1 to 3 feet of snow carrying a pack on my back.  The kind of snow where even 20 feet feels like a lifetime.  Each day I gained condition such that by the end of that period of time...on the third capture...I outpaced every single person on the crew on a very long, very steep uphill climb.  And it was as I was doing that, feeling the burn in my legs and lungs, that the word trust came to me.  Despite much neglect at times, my body has never let me down.  My legs have always carried me wherever I've asked them to.  Every time I retreat to creativity, whether in the form of knitting needles, pencil and paper, a drimmel on a gourd, a bag of fiber and my wheel, a camera...despite all the fear and anxiety that I'm not 'good enough', my body instinctively settles into the rhythm that it knows.  When I feel overwhelmed or 'in over my head' with a work task, once I trust in myself that I do know what I'm doing, my brain settles into the rhythm that it knows.  And so this year, I need to remember these things and work on trusting myself.

Not many read this space, but for those that do, I hope that you will not just read and move on.  Instead, I hope that you will share in the comments a bit of beauty from your own world. 

_ _ _ _ _

Now playing:  One Tin Soldier by The Original Caste
I've always loved this song but had not listened to it in years.  This fall, I was reminded of it and searched it out on itunes.  If you have never heard this song or really listened to the words, I encourage you to do it today.  


.
 

18 comments:

  1. Your photos make me happy, as do your heartfelt words.
    That song is a favourite of mine, thanks to my mum.

    A bit of beauty - I have just come in from a morning of tutoring and running errands. I am sitting at my desk, looking out the window at the rain dripping off the verbena bush. My cats are both in the window 2 feet away from me, soaking up the heat, and wanting to be near me. They bring me beauty, these two creatures, and love. So I'm sending you warm kitty vibes today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. For your comments and for sharing the beauty in the world. We need it more that ever. And thanks as well for sending me warm kitty vibes -- there is never enough of those! :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post--words and images. Please share the name of the pattern?
    Nice to have you back--I've been wondering if you were ok. Well, ok-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I see you already found the pattern but if others are wondering...it's the slanted garter mittens from Knit Picks. We'll see how 'back' I am...but it felt good to post!

      Delete
  3. Blogger won't accept my friend's comment for some reason so i'm posting what she sent via email: Holy Crap Rachel, you've made me cry! I love the way you captured what's been going on, and how moments of light come through. If only you believed in yourself the way I believe in you.... you will soar.

    Ive spent this inauguration day in pretty deep contemplation. I vowed to stay off-line, but I can't. I feel the need to do something.... take action... I'm a product of the 60's, the Vietnam era. Having been a government employee for 30 years, I silenced my activism, choosing moderation, and compromise. I don't think I can do that any more. My voice is coming back. I need to feel like I'm making some kind of contribution to the world to counteract the hatred and intolerance that is welling up.

    So today, I filled the bird feeders, I shoveled some snow, I mended some pants, I finished knitting a hat, I spun some lovely white merino fiber, I contributed money to the ACLU and I wrote letters to my Senators. My word for the year is Activism.

    ** Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. My beauty today was to sit in the woods in a lawn chair and sleeping bag, end let the quiet wash over me. I had my Kindle and read for a while, but mostly I just sat and watched the chickadees and juncos and woodpeckers, and watched the way the light moved through the trees. I watched snow melt off the branches. I watched two elk walk through the clearing 20 feet in front of me. I thought about lots of things, and not all of the thoughts were angry or bad or disheartening. It was a restoring day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I appreciated the fact that elk are really big when they're only 20 feet away. They looked at me and kept walking.

      Delete
    2. It sounds like you had the perfect day. And given there were elk involved, it was even more perfect! ;)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely, thoughtful post, Rachel. Like you, I've wondered about the point of blogging about the everyday things I am surrounded with in my life when there are so many Big Issues out there. But I've come to the conclusion that many small pieces of beauty, whether it's a picture of cheerful yellow and grey mittens or a teapot someone has planted on a trail, add balance to our world.

    As for the beauty in my own world, I am surrounded by it every day. I never once look at the mountains standing next to me without feeling something stir deep within me. When I sit on my window seat and knit I glance out at the wild rose bushes between our cottage and the next one, with bright rose hips on them, and the chickadees flitting about. I look up to see the towering cedar and fir trees behind our cottage. When I walk down to the lake and see Mt. Cheam in the distance, covered in a snowy blanket, I feel humbled. Every single time I hike up Teapot Hill I am surprised anew at the depth of green that surrounds me. I could go on and on. So much beauty, all there for the taking as long as I remember to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristie -- and yes, we need the beauty to balance it all. When the hits keep coming, we need to see the light. You are surrounded by beauty where you live and I love seeing what you share of it. We, too are surrounded by beauty -- a different kind -- but you reminded me to take note of it. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. It felt so good to read this, Rachel. Thank you for trusting us enough to share your thoughts here. I feel inspired. Beauty... Okay. Yesterday, before I walked downtown for work, as a treat to myself, I was reading through a copy of The Paris Review and instead of feeling delighted, I was very annoyed with the ridiculous ads and just not feeling it with the writing. I got to one crass line in a poem and almost gave up on the entire issue, but I kept paging through, hoping something would speak to me, and very close to the end I found a poem by Tony Hoagland that I loved. If you want to take a look, it's here: https://www.theparisreview.org/poetry/6889/entangle-tony-hoagland Also, there have been two little chickadees visiting a couple of nearly bare trees outside our apartment. When I hear their voices I jump up and look out the windows until I find their tiny bodies flitting around the trees. They make me happy. I'm not an official birder, but I do enjoy birds. I love your sweet little bird portrait up there. Is it a junco? And your colorful mittens make me smile. We should all have an accessory or two that we can wear that brings us joy each time we look at it. There's a very old lady in my neighborhood who walks around hunched and very slowly, but she gets out there, and she walks, and she's always wearing at least one fabulous bright accessory. She brings me joy. I should tell her that she brings me joy. I have bright blue rain boots, but I think I need something else... I'll think about that today. I hope you keep sharing the beauty and asking us for it too. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no... I just realized that link only goes to a fragment of the poem. Darn. I'll send you a photo of the pages via email. The title of the poem is Entangle.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I could inspire you and return the favor. Aren't the chickadees fun? I keep trying to take a photo of them, but they move so fast...never staying still longer than a moment. And yes, the photo is a junco...definitely the dominant bird on our feeders. I love your story about the old lady and her bright accessories! You should tell her she brings you joy...but I also know how difficult it is to say such things to a complete stranger. What kind of accessory and color would you wear?

      Delete
    3. Maybe a bright pink scarf or hat...

      Delete
  7. I sent you an email, but this should work too, in the event I don't have your current email address... https://instagram.com/p/BPqLZOnF6u5/ Okay, enough comments from me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got the email but I'm glad that you were able to post a link here that others could see. Thank you for sharing Denise. What an amazing poem...really...just amazing. Slowly and surely you are drawing me toward this form of communication that has always felt so foreign to me. I even purchased 2 Mary Oliver books of poetry.

      There can never be too many comments from you!

      Delete
  8. beautiful photos! I am struggling to find my balance in watching the news and not watching the news. Talking and not talking. i know this though, my knitting saves me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I think many of us are in that boat and I agree...knitting and creativity are the anecdote!

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.