Monday, October 3, 2016
And Just Like That...
It's winter.
Between late afternoon Friday and early Saturday evening, almost a foot of snow fell here. It will likely all be melted by the time I leave...yesterday got a good start on it. I was whining about it to my folks and my dad said 'you don't have to go anywhere so just enjoy it'. I'm trying but having a bit of trouble with that particular piece of advice -- it's pretty but it makes everything that much harder, especially when I'm by myself. I've got 14 tons of feed waiting to be delivered but they can't get down the road right now. And even if they could, when I ventured up the road this morning on foot, I found 6-7 big trees had fallen with that heavy snow over the road. I don't have anything here to cut them and so I have to ask our neighbor yet again for help. Which is difficult to me. But I'm still trying to enjoy it...taking some photos of the beauty. Watching the contentment of the caribou...they are at peace in the snow and it's a transformation that is such a pleasure to see.
I love the contrast in those last two photos...taken 2 days apart.
I think I've got a departure date...looks like I will be heading out on the 17th. I've got multiple things I have to do (meetings, dropping off samples, picking up a mess of data and supplies from another project) on the way home so it'll take me 3 full days to get home. But there is something about firming up that date and being able to plan out how to get everything winterized and ready to go that calms me. And I have a few more big work items I'd really like to get done before leaving here and wading back into the world of multiple distractions. That should give me enough time...we'll see.
I'll be back in a bit to show you my progress on photographing northern lights. We had 2 spectacular showings before the snow came and I got some pretty cool shots...next week maybe...
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Song For a Winter's Night by Gordon Lightfoot
.
8 comments:
I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love the photos! I think the 'bou love the snow too! Glad you'll be heading back but eager to see the Northern Lights!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kim! Northern lights coming soon!
DeleteOK, I posted on the last post this morning and I see my comment didn't show up, silly blogs :(
ReplyDeleteBeautiful snow, but yes not fun when you have things to do and are on your own. It's wet and rainy here, definitely fall.
17th hey? Enough time for the mail then!
Hang in there.
I hear you guys have been slammed by wind and rain...not sure which is worse! Still snowing here as I type...but everything is falling together for me to leave Wednesday and hope to get as far south as Hundred Mile House before the next system hits. I may still have to drive a bit in snow, but not too much...I hope!
DeleteThese photos are amazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Nicole! The frosty ones were taken early in the morning as I walked up the road to inspect the tree-fall damage...given the low light, I'm surprised by how well they turned out!
DeleteGosh... I know it's a pain in the rump, but it is so gorgeous, and the caribou really do look content. Great to know you can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.
ReplyDeleteAs the snow continues to fall, I'm moving away from gorgeous to 'get me the heck out of here'...but yes, I should follow the lead of the 'bou and feel some contentment (of course, I don't have a winter coat that keeps me warm!).
Delete