Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

An Essay in Photos

Mishka -- born to Mimi, sniffing out the world.

Hyacinth born to Henna. If I didn't know for sure that Henna was not with our reindeer bull, this little girl's coloring would make me stop for a minute.  Although this is exactly what Henna looked like as a calf...it's why she got her name.  This little one was born weak but has since gained her strength and seems okay.  She's quite friendly but can be a little terror.  She decided she wanted to be in the other pen (she's a grass is greener kid) and after moving her back 4 times, I admitted defeat and instead moved her mom to her.  Then the other day, when I was talking to my parents she went through the gate again and while I was trying to get her, she decide to high jump into the water tank.  It is over her head and was completely full so she would have drowned if I had not seen it and been right there to scoop her out.  She's a handful!

Little Dylan wondering what mom is eating...cuz she needs to learn.

Where we dump our wash water, flocks of these come in every day...no idea what they are, but they are super pretty (the top of their wings are such a beautiful blue)
This is Mishka -- baby boy born to Mimi.

Can you figure out what is happening here?  These kids...they are so ridiculous sometimes, Montney, in particular.  I walked out one evening and saw mom Muriel standing and I then saw 2 kids legs by her neck -- just 2 legs.  My gaze went up and I see this guy hanging his front two feet over Muriel's neck...just hanging there...no biggie.  This particular picture looks like it was an action shot but it wasn't...he was just hanging on her head.  No biggie.  They do provide a constant source of entertainment!

Our neighborhood beaver...after 3 years I finally got a somewhat decent photo of him.  It took sitting patiently for about half an hour one evening but as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat, he showed himself time and time again.  Now almost every time I water, I see them.  I know there are at least 3...this one is the biggest and then there are 2 smaller ones.  They seem to be used to me now...I can watch their air bubbles and see that they come up right below to inspect me, and then surface about 15 feet out.  So very cool...

What I think is a red-naped sapsucker...a pair of them come and peck on that post right outside the trailer window most every day.  This shot is taken through the window so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Perhaps cliche, but no matter how many pictures I get of swallowtails, they still delight me every time.  

4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful images! They make me feel peaceful. I wish I could meet all the babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's 'only' about 20 hours north of you...you are welcome any time! ;)

      Delete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.