Sunday, April 24, 2016
Gulping in Lungfuls...
Things haven't changed much since the last post. There are certain things that have solidified for this summer, and certain things that still, 2 weeks before I head north, haven't. I know I'll be heading back up to northeast BC in early May and will be calving out our caribou. Because the cycle of life goes on no matter what the politics do. But beyond that, we are still waiting...
Past this summer, there are many options on the table, but that's all they are right now...options. Some may be more desirable than others, some may be more likely than others, but it will still be months before I really know what path we'll be on for the next several years.
And so I continue to try to deal with uncertainty...which, if I'm being honest, is not always pretty. I continue to stress and continue to suffer the consequences of that...getting really sick for a second time and in the process of coughing uncontrollably, knocked my injured rib ligament back out of whack, not to mention my back. I've lost myself in a depression worse than any I've experienced in at least a few years..then cycled out of it for a week, and then cycled right back into it. And so I talked with Mel about the potential for additional support...admitting I may need some was a big step. I KNOW what I need to be doing...and yet it may take that external support to make it happen. We all need support and we all need reminders from time to time. There is nothing wrong with that.
But let's leave this post on a positive note shall we? This past week, I had to head up to Pullman, WA for some meetings. My preferred route to get there takes me through one of my favorite places on earth -- particularly in spring. It's a road that runs between Enterprise, OR and Lewiston, ID called 'Rattlesnake Grade'. Google map will not allow the road show up in 'get directions'...taking you on very long detours rather than this road. When I first started to drive it back in the late 90's, most of the guard rails had eroded down the sides of the hill to be pointless. Considering the road is incredibly curvy, often has rocks that fall on it, has a maximum speed (not posted, but just the ability of a vehicle) of 30mph, and the side of the road often leads to several hundred foot drops...most people don't particularly care for the road. And yet, I love this road. In the spring, there is nothing like it. I don't have the words to describe the amount of wildflowers that call this place home, or how it's one of the first places to green up since it's such low elevation and so you always have to watch for the deer. And then there is the smell...the 'Blues' smell like none other in my opinion...it's a sweet smell of ponderosa pine, dry earth, and wide open range...and in the spring, that intoxicating smell of new vegetation growth and flowers.
On the way up, I was running late and so I didn't stop. But I had taken my camera just for the purpose of catching 'spring' on the grade. I was, again, running late when I headed back down into the grade after my visit and so the light wasn't the greatest -- and even if it were, pictures just can't capture the expansiveness of beauty on those hills. But I kept stopping. Kept getting out of the truck to take photos. And to breathe. It was windy -- making photography even harder with the low light -- but that kind of warm, spring wind just prior to a rainstorm (which hit in a deluge as I wound my way out of the grade)...making that already sweet blues smell even sweeter. And I found myself literally gulping in the air...almost frantically like I'd just come up from holding my breath too long under water. And when I wasn't out taking photos, I was driving slowly, all windows down with my head stuck out one like a dog until the sun dropped and the clouds came in and it got too cold to drive that way.
There wasn't a magical transformation after that drive making all right in my world. But it helped as nothing else has recently. I was able to open up my journal yesterday and write with honesty. I was able to start picking up around the house (my living space so often reflects my mental space -- and recently that has just been scattered and cluttered). I texted my friend to make a gym date today. Tomorrow it could all go to hell in a hand basket. But for these few days, few hours, I'm riding the wave...
ps -- the trip to civilization resulted in the purchase of 2 sets of buttons to finish off 2 of those sweaters. That doesn't mean I will take the time to sew said buttons on, but step one is done.
_ _ _ _ _
Now playing: Leader of the Band by Dan Folgerberg (I haven't listened to this album in years and for some reason, I've had it on repeat constantly the past couple of weeks).
.
8 comments:
I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thinking of you and hope that the trip up north is helpful and brings you some peace. I know everyone's experiences are personal, but I find my time with my therapist to be incredibly helpful and self affirming.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping my DH doesn't see this post because we would have to get in the car and go drive this road RIGHT NOW. I'm not sure how I would handle it!
Thanks for this Kim. Right now I seem to be doing okay and handling everything a bit better, but if that should change, I will definitely be reaching out to Mel in a professional capacity.
DeleteI hope he does see the post -- this road is one to be experienced at least once in a lifetime!! Preferably now, in the spring. Unless of course, you get carsick...then it may be a problem! ;)
I hope you're able to continue riding that wave, Rachel. Take care. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Denise. I hate to be a pessimist but I doubt that will happen. I think this is truly a 'circumstance' depression and until those change and life plans solidify more, I'm going to struggle. But...being open to the idea of seeking out help will certainly help.
DeleteGotcha. In that case I'm hoping circumstances change as soon as possible. And yes to seeking help, something I'm not at all good at doing... It's great that you know who to go to and that you'll actually ask.
ReplyDeleteI'm not really good at seeking help either...but as you can tell, I'm getting better. And it is ONLY because I do know who to go to and I completely trust that person. If I didn't have her...well, things would be different.
DeleteYou are so honest. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteGlad you got some air, you know my take on that.
Love the close up flowers photo - field of depth on that one is awesome.
Hopefully BC and the caribou will bring some more opportunities to breathe, even though I know field days are long and tough as well - at last they are outside.
I'm not always so honest but I do try.
DeleteGetting outside and breathing in fresh air is so simple and I know well what benefit it has and yet...
Yes and no on opportunities to breathe while up here in BC...that will likely be a post in the near future. BUT...I am still outside pretty much 24/7 and that helps.