Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

FO: Thrummed Hat

Another FO but two things first...
1. How in the world are we 2 weeks away from Xmas?  I thought I was doing good on my 'to make' list but all of a sudden I'm having to slash items off my list right and left! 

2. Do you need a laugh to ease up the holiday stress?  Two segments for you to listen to when you get a chance (about 10 minutes each but trust me, they are hilarious, especially the second one):
     --for my fellow Downton Abby fans : click here
     --Paula Poundstone takes on Michael Pollan: click here

Okay, with those things out of the way, how about another finished knit?

A long time ago, Melissa posted a thrummed hat on her blog boasting that it was quite possibly the warmest hat ever.  Since she lives in Minnesota, I tend to believe her. I mean if someone from Texas said that, I'd have to wonder (sorry Jacey, I may be picking on you!).  I then proceeded to gush over how much I loved the hat.  She responded in typical Melissa fashion by letting me know that it was a kit she purchased at a fiber festival, she was going back the next year, and she'd pick one up for me if I wanted.  She's super nice that way (and other ways!).  Time passed and I honestly forgot about her offer until an email showed up one day saying she had picked the kit up and did I still want it?  Did I still want it...of course! I couldn't believe she had remembered.  I should have known better though.

I really love this hat.

What I didn't love, however, was the kit.  Melissa ran out of yarn when she knit her hat so I assumed, since the skein had 25 more yards in my kit, I wouldn't have the same problem.  I did...let me just say that one of my pet peeves are kits that don't have enough yarn in them.  I started weighing the yarn halfway through and actually had to forgo about 5 rows of knitting to finish the hat off.  And there wasn't enough yarn left over for pom poms (though I doubt I would have put them on).  Luckily the wool grew fairly substantially with aggressive blocking or else the hat would have been too shallow to fit my head.   

Now...remember in my last post I said that I wear hats for warmth, not show?  Well, you should also know that though my wardrobe tends to be the kind that blends into the background, the crazier the sock and the crazier the hat, the more I love them.  Fashion-wise this definitely looks a little silly on me (or a lot silly as I'm sure my mom is thinking as she looks at the next picture; of course on Melissa it just looks cute!).  This matters not even a little to me.  Despite the smirk/scowl on my face, I love it. And though we haven't had very cold temperatures yet this winter, I'm going to go ahead and agree that this is a super warm hat.  So warm in fact that it will likely get to travel to Canada for fieldwork where I'm sure it will get quite the chuckle from the helicopter guys. 


 _ _ _ _ _

Now playingFast Cars by Tracy Chapman


9 comments:

  1. More likely it will prompt requests from the helicopter guys - considering where you're headed!!

    Love it, in all its quirky glory. Too hot for the coast, though.

    ~kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Hat! And I love the Paula Poundstone piece! AND the Downton Abby piece....Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is an awesome hat! And I'm with Kate. Remember where you are headed. The more likely scenario is you will have to guard that hat with your life for fear the helicopter guys will take it when you aren't looking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yay!! i'm so glad you made the hat! (sorry you ran out of yarn though... grrr...) and i'm even more glad that you love the finished product!!
    are they just the silliest, warmest hats ever!!

    we had windchills below zero monday so i busted my thrummed hat out for the first time this year.

    and i think you look great in your hat! and even though you have nothing but kind words for how cute i look in mine i'll tell you - i get called a muppet at least once every time i wear it!
    not that i care, because like you said, it's all about the warmth!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knitting is fabulous, as always, but what I'm truly loving here lately are your self portraits. They feel especially bold and brave to me, someone who has never really enjoyed presenting herself before a camera. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hat! It's so fun. I'm only making one pair of mittens this year and I have yet to finish them. I hate the pressure of trying to finish something on time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does look like a warm hat! Very funky and fun, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the hat too and I am sure it will keep you very warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I love it! You're right, though. Warmth here means a very different thing. ;) You're right to pick on me. I love a fun hat, and definitely, a fun pair of socks! I've got some with penguins, flamingos, and monkeys (that's three different pairs, mind you!).

    ReplyDelete

I'm having trouble with email management so i'm trying a different approach and replying to comments with comments on each post. Please bear with me while I see if this will work for both you and me. If you hit the 'subscribe by email' link (below right), my responses will come straight to your inbox.